It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

nedine HB Usernedine HB User
Unhappy Staplectomy

Hi,
I underwent a staplectomy on March 29,11. I still have a fullness feeling in my left ear and tinnitus. I was told that full hearing can take up to 4 months to be fully restored. In 2 months I go for a hearing test. I'm worried, all the other submissions that I have read most people noticed improvement immediately. I'm beginning to feel like something is not right Help me understand whats going on.
Nedine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
Re: Staplectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedine View Post
Hi,
I underwent a staplectomy on March 29,11. I still have a fullness feeling in my left ear and tinnitus. I was told that full hearing can take up to 4 months to be fully restored. In 2 months I go for a hearing test. I'm worried, all the other submissions that I have read most people noticed improvement immediately. I'm beginning to feel like something is not right Help me understand whats going on.
Nedine
My stapedectomy was on April 5th, and I did get a lot of hearing back the next week, although my ear does still feel full, and I have a little tinnitus. I think you should talk to your surgeon about your concerns. My surgeon also told me that it can take several months before all the fluid behind the eardrum is gone and your ear and brain adjust. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
nedine (04-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Nedine....

Do you have any hearing back at all. Not sure what your hearing was before surgery.

Cindy

Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
(female)

Cindy,
I was boarder line for this surgery. I had lost 50% percent hearing in my left ear. I thought I had at least 50% back after surgery. Then I went to the gym yesterday and used my apple shuffle. I now believe that my hearing has gone down to 30% after trying to work out with music. I don't know what to expect anymore this is out of my hands. I'll be seeing my ENT in 4 more wks. If I had to guess, hearing is a 50%, tinnitus I'd give it a 4/10, fullness in the ear 40%

Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedine View Post
Cindy,
I was boarder line for this surgery. I had lost 50% percent hearing in my left ear. I thought I had at least 50% back after surgery. Then I went to the gym yesterday and used my apple shuffle. I now believe that my hearing has gone down to 30% after trying to work out with music. I don't know what to expect anymore this is out of my hands. I'll be seeing my ENT in 4 more wks. If I had to guess, hearing is a 50%, tinnitus I'd give it a 4/10, fullness in the ear 40%
I think that you'll see some improvement in the fullness in your ear soon. I still have the sensation that my ear is full of fluid, and all the tree pollen in the air isn't helping at all. Try to stay positive, you still have lots of time to recover more hearing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
nedine (04-24-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Nedine... I would say the same as Fantine...wait until you go back to the ENT and then go from there...

I do understand your frustration though....

The following user gives a hug of support to billcindy1:
nedine (04-24-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

Hi Nedine!

I had a Stapedectomy on the same date as you (29th March). Although I had a decent improvement in hearing when my packing was removed 10 days after surgery, my ear still feels full of fluid, clicks all the time when I move my jaw, and the hearing doesn't seem quite right. I also have Tinnitus in the ear which is moderate.

My understanding is that if you are getting good hearing in certain ranges, it is a good chance that it will only improve in the other ranges as the packing dissolves, swelling decreases and the fluid etc clears from the ear. I have good hearing in the middle ranges but not the clarity I was expecting. Like you I am hopeful that the feeling of fullness subsides, and the tinnitus less prominent when my ear settles and the low/high frequencies return. It doesn't see unreasonable, that this may happen for both of us.

All the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to RealityMatt For This Useful Post:
nedine (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
(female)

Hi Matt,
Great news today. When I went to use my Apple Shuffle at the gym this morning I could actually hear music from both ear phones. On Friday I thought the left one was broken lol. Today is a good day. I'm just experiencing tinnitus abt a 4/10. Otherwise, things are good and hope they continue to get better.
Nedine

Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
(female)

Matt,
I forgot to ask you about your healing over the wkend.
How's your day been. Any change? I forgot to tell you that a good cry and blowing my nose may have contributed to the change. I was pretty down yesterday.
Day by Day changes will take place. The body is an amazing machine and will heal in time.
Take Care
Nedine

The following user gives a hug of support to nedine:
RealityMatt (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

Hi Nedine! Thanks for the replies

I'm very happy to hear that your ear seems to have sorted itself out. So very happy you can hear through both ears - It makes a massive difference to everything.

I also totally understand being upset by your situation. Despite all the good things doctors try to do, it is very difficult at times to feel grateful for what we do have of our hearing. I always get through each day thinking it could always be worse. I struggle with my hearing, and even though I have far better hearing than I once did, the Tinnitus gets to me. I still have a high pitched ring in my recently operated ear. So I am very much hoping my perception of it lessens and my hearing ranges improve to moderate it.

To answer your question, my ear seems to be slowly improving, although it's still crackly, and often itchy inside the canal, and feels fluid filled most of the time. Still the hearing is good so I try to keep smiling, which is me anyway

Does anyone know if going to the cinema 4 weeks after the operation would do any damage given the volume and sound? My doctor doesn't seem too stressed about noise exposure infact he says the ear needs to learn to hear again. I had an ear plug in to lessen the sound, and it wasn't at all painful...but I am paranoid the sound wsan't the best thing. Any thoughts?

Nedine - So sorry to hear that the situation is upsetting you at times. I hope the hearing that you now sense, stays and continues to improve. If you need to get anything out, that's what we are here for

Take Care.
Matt.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
(female)

I don't think that you'd have any problems with going to the cinema. Even though the volume can be excessive, it won't be dangerously high for long periods. I agree with your doctor, your brain and your ear need to learn how to deal with everyday sounds again, so no use protecting them from typical living. Dive back into the pool!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
(female)

Hey Matt,
Just walked into work I've already been to the gym @ 6:00 am wide awake now
Used my apple shuffle-didn't cranck it up to hi but the black eyed peas sounded pretty good today and pushed my work out up to the next level. Fullness and some tinnitus is still there but if you just crank the music up it goes away lol.
Snowing here have u ever seen that white stuff be happy if u haven't!!!
Have a great day
N

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

Thanks Fantine and Nedine! I'm sure I will be okay too...you know how it is, just a little paranoid about ruining what Ive now got in hearing.

Nedine - You sound like you are having fun. I envy you being back at the Gym! I look forward to getting back, however I have decided to leave it until about 2 months post op to be sure given I am a bit of a fitness and sport nut, and I love to push myself to the limit and beyond.

Snow! Wow! Sounds a rather late in the season. Here in Sunny Sydney (although with the rain we have had you wouldn't believe it) it never snows. It's not often under 20 degrees celcius on many winter days anyway Now I'm sure you are envying me! It was 23 degrees Today, a little chilly if you ask me :P

Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
(female)

Hi Everyone,
The sun is shinning the snow is gone!! My tinnitus is driving me crazy today. Does anyone know when I can sleep on my operated ear again? I miss sleeping on that side. It's Friday, everyone enjoy! Happy weekend ttus
N

Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

Hey Nedine! Hope you are having a great weekend! Very gald the sun is shining and I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy it. It feels like it's been raining here in Sydney for weeks, which is unusal for Autumn, its normally a nice time of year, beautiful sunny days and cool nights (where I can actually be under a covers).

Tinnutus is getting to me to, but it could be worse right? Atleast you can rock out to your black eyed peas hearing in Stereo

As for sleeping on your operated ear. Ive been doing it for weeks, and If I recall correctly we had our operations on the same day I started waking up last week noticing I had naturally rolled onto my operated side. Theere was no pain or tenderness, so I am surre it is okay if you can deal with it, otherwise doctors would stipulate not to sleep on it for X many weeks.

I had a Team Building day for work on Friday that involved Ten Pin Bowling. I was reluctant as I was worried I might do something, but it didn't seem to be an issue. My understanding is once you are six weeks in most things are unlikely to cause any harm

Have a great weekend.
Take care
Matt (hmm back to my late sunday Morning Cappucino).

Closed Thread