It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

texxas23 HB User
Angry My Stapedectomy 5 years ago

First and foremost, i was born 70% deaf in my left ear.. For reasons unknown, my "father" waited until i was 18 to take me to the doctor about it... needless to say, i got the surgery. after i got home, I couldn't do a damn thing on my own. i even needed assistance in the bathroom and getting dressed. *misery* long story short, for the past 5 years since the surgery, i've been suffering with a constant high pitched ringing in my left ear which i COULD be thankful for cause at least i can hear it, but I'm NOT cause i'd rather be deaf and my equilibrium is shot to sh*t. also, 2 years after the surgery i decide i wanna join the military.. i passed every test with flying colors.. except the hearing test which i took twice and tried to get a waiver from dr but was denied. so i was denied entrance into the military... in a nutshell, my Stapedectomy experience sucks more than i could ever express. by the way, the ringing i was talkin about sounds more like... ya know that sound when a microphone gets too close to a speaker? that sound right there is the only "audible" difference the Stapedectomy has made.
thank you for reading my rant. hope its usefull to someone

Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: My Stapedectomy 5 years ago

Sounds like it was a complete failure, sorry to hear that.

Have you gone to see anyone else about this? Like an otologoist? I'm having ossiculoplasty tomorrow morning to repair damage from a fall. My audi said to me "don't go local for this, go to Boston". Not sure where exactly you are but a good otologist may be able to help you out. The tinnitus may never go away but you may be able to get some hearing back anyway with a good surgeon/otologist.

The noise you speak of is called tinnitus. It set in on me about 10 days after my fall. Continuous, non-stop high pitched whine. On bad days I put my earphone in and drown it out with white noise. I also hear my own heartbeat in that ear.

Hope you can find a livable solution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

texxas23 HB User
Re: My Stapedectomy 5 years ago

I would try to get it corrected or check my options but my finances are bleak and my insurance is nonexistent. being almost completely deaf in one ear doesn't bother me.. how could it? Its all i know. Cain't miss what i never had.. God was gracious enough to bless me with a fully functional right one. thank you for the advise!

The following user gives a hug of support to texxas23:
leleoh (05-13-2011)
Closed Thread