It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

leleoh HB User
I am now post-op

Yesterday I went in to Mass Eye and Ear for an exploratory ossiculoplasty. I went home yesterday afternoon and slept most of the afternoon away. I can't hear anything in my operated ear, of course there is packing that will come out next week. It has popped and cracked a few times, but otherwise just the tinnitus humming away is all I hear. It still sounds like a kazoo when I myself speak in the operated ear, which is extremely depressing. That is the one thing since I fell and messed up my hearing in the first place back in January that has completely made me crazy, and it still exists.

Other than that I don't feel too badly. A dull ache in the ear, but a faint dull ache. Still feel a little unsteady on my feet so I'm taking it easy today. Will go to work on Monday, I have a desk job that isn't all at strenuous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: I am now post-op

Day two post op. When I talk, whatever part of the ear generates my kazoo now has a painful twinge to it. Overall it's like a toothache, just kind of a dull, vague pain that's more annoying than anything. When I speak there is a pinpoint twinge of pain where the kazoo lives. I'm not sure my new stapes is sitting where it belongs? That would be pretty depressing and would mean repeat surgery. The vibration I think is in the membrane that the stapes sits against and it's not happy. I go back on Wednesday for my follow up and to have my packing removed. I'm prepared to not hear good news. Sad, but prepared.

Last edited by leleoh; 05-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

leleoh HB User

I'm just gonna post away, it makes me fell better!

What I do manage to hear through the packing in my operated left ear (and by blocking out my right ear) seems to be "normal". After I fell, everything coming in to that ear was messed up. Peoples voices sounded "fuzzy" (daffy duck-like) and like they'd taken a big hit of helium. My husband had music playing yesterday and a song he liked came on and he turned it up. I blocked my right ear and listened with the left as best I could and it seemed "normal" from what little I could hear.

Today I can actually feel the packing in my ear, up until now I couldn't. I want to reach in and pull it out, it's kind of itchy. The kazoo is still there, but either its changed a little or I'm not speaking in a way that will aggravate it. It doesn't seem as bad, but still being there at all sucks. A few more days until the packing comes out, Wednesday can't come soon enough!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

leleoh HB User

Going to work today, will see how long I last. Two more days until the packing comes out of my ear! I can't wait, it's getting on my nerves because I can actually feel it in there. The kazoo still lives and is still painful when I speak. I talk in ways to minimize the vibrations. Will have to ask what and why when I'm there on Wednesday to see what's up with the kazoo.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
(female)

leleoh HB User

Day 5 post op. I am surprised at how fast you get back on your feet after this surgery. I was able to work all day yesterday at my desk job. Good thing since I have some catching up to do after being out last week on Thursday and Friday.

I still have some pain, but only when I yawn, hiccup or talk. The kazoo-effect when I speak is still there and causes discomfort and pain when talking. My husband says I should just stop talking . I go tomorrow for my follow up and to have the packing removed. I can't wait to get the packing out because I can actually feel it in my ear canal now. It's kind of creepy feeling.

So before the surgery I had distorted hearing, tinnitus, and a kazoo like effect when I spoke. So far post op I have tinnitus and kazoo, and am unsure of how good the hearing is. I guess if I can actually hear once I heal without everyone sounding like donald duck on helium then there has been success, but if the kkazoo effect doesn't go away it won't be a total success. That is the biggest reason I went through surgery, time will tell I guess.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
(female)

leleoh HB User

Day 6 and my first follow up visit back to Mass Eye and Ear. My packing is GONE!! It was so ITCHY I couldn't wait for it to be gone. Dr. McKenna pulled it out, which hurt a little as it pulled off the wound, and then he rinsed out the ear. My hearing is muffled, soft, but there.

After my fall people all sounded like Donald Duck on a hit of helium in that ear, with the volume turned down. Now I can hear things normally, as I said a little muffled, and the volume is low. But in the fall I did enough damage to have a mixed hearing loss, so this surgery was to correct the conductive loss. I may still need an aid in that ear in the future. Without this surgery though and aid wouldn't help me as it would just amplify the Donald duck on helium effect.

So six days post op and I'm healing well. I go back for my next appt. on June 20th, and I'll get my first post-op hearing test at that appt. So far though I still have the kazoo effect when I speak . But even that is improved, it's not as loud. I'm hoping as things heal, and the swelling diminishes, that even the kazoo will be either gone or close to gone. I am going to remain hopeful!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
(female)

leleoh HB User

Day 7 post op. Ear still feels full and plugged up. I can hear out of the ear, the volume remains very low. I played one of my favorite songs and listened to it with my left ear, I could hear it but it sounded a bit flat and tinny. The kazoo effect when I speak still lives , I hate it! Trying hard to remain patient, but not doing a good of it.

I so wish I could just "pop" my ear and have the hearing return. Here's hoping that soon it will pop on it's own.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
(female)

leleoh HB User

Day 8 of my post op journey .

Late yesterday in the car a couple of times my ear kind of "cleared" a bit and I could hear better, then it would go right back to being plugged up again. Went grocery shopping with my son yesterday afternoon. He has otosclerosis in his left ear, my damaged ear is my left ear. Before the fall he would always walk on my left side so his good ear was toward me, since my fall he has been on my right side so my good ear was toward him. yesterday he was on my left side again, had trouble hearing him at times but overall not too bad.

Today everything is really muted, like the volume has been turned down even more . That sucks and I don;t know why, I did kind of clack my jaw together in the car earlier and the volume went down, but then came back up, and now is down again. Hope I didn't dislodge anything . My ear feels wet, but I know it was dry after I showered because I checked my cotton ball and it was dry.

Last edited by leleoh; 05-20-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
(female)

leleoh HB User

My ear canal is still so very itchy off and on! I can't wait for it to heal so it will stop being itchy.

It's been, what now, 8 days? I feel great other than the fact that I still don't hear well at all in my operated ear. My ear feels totally full, clogged, like it's full of water or something. I hate it! When will it not be plugged up? It hasn't popped or anything in a couple of days. Just feels totally full of liquid, is this at all normal??

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
(female)

leleoh HB User

Last night went out to dinner, the sounds were overwhelmingly loud and I still struggled to hear our waitress (of course I managed to seat myself so that my bad ear was toward our server). I am 10 days post op.

Right now I would say my hearing in the operated ear is like listening through a blown speaker. I've read several accounts from a lot of others that this was also what their hearing was like post op, does this mean I still have hope?

Today my ear again feels like it is full of fluid, almost like I can feel it against my eardrum, and incoming sounds all sound like they are coming through a broken/blown speaker. Normal for 10 days post op?? I'm just a nervous type and wondering if the rest of you have experinced similar feelings/hearing after surgery? I'm so damned confused.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Good afternoon Leleoh....

I have been reading your postings here and my goodness...you have been through a lot. you poor thing...that fall must have been so scary

So I am confused...did you have a stapedectomy? where they go in and replace your stapes bone...

I understand how you feel...and it is frustrating too..but try to remember...you have blood..swelling...and healing to do. I am sure things will improve in just alittle bit. I have always said that this surgery is a rollercoaster ride on your emotions...one day your up..next your down... try to be patient..I do know it is hard.

I hope that your ear pops soon...and you are hearing crystal clear!!!!

Cindy

Keep your chin up

Last edited by billcindy1; 05-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
(female)

leleoh HB User

Thanks Cindy! Since I was knocked out before I fully landed I don't remember the actual fall that took my hearing. I tripped and hit the top left side of my head on the railing, which knocked me unconscious. Then, once I was out cold, I fell to the ground landing on the left side of my head and we're pretty sure it was the landing unconsciously that took my hearing.

The stapedectomy was done through the ear canal at Mass Eye and Ear in Boston MA (maybe it was a stapedotomy, not sure to be honest). In my case we're trying to close the air-bone gap so I can contemplate getting a hearing aid. It's just so disappointing that I still have the kazoo effect when I talk, or sing. I stink at singing but I love to sing to the radio in my car . Don't like doing it anymore because all I hear is the damned kazoo.

At least what is coming in is better than what it was. So I am really trying to be patient but the full of liquid feeling in my ear is so creepy!

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
(female)

leleoh HB User

I think I still have an issue with my hearing, completely unrelated to my stapes surgery. The stapes surgery cured the Donald Duck on a hit of helium that I have experienced since my fall in January. Everyone's voice came into my bad ear that way. So I firmly believe that my surgery was a success, but I don't think it fixed every issue I have.

I hate the kazoo effect I have when I speak. The stapedectomy did not fix that so I keep on searching. In my search I have stumbled upon superior canal dehiscence. One symptom being the kazoo effect of one's own voice in their head! It also is associated with vertigo, which I am wondering if I haven't noticed much because I only have the issue on one side and my other side is compensating for this? I do hear my eyes moving when the room is quiet, never thought much of it before but do now that I've read the symptoms.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
(female)

slickysmom HB User

just got done reading through your ordeal---whew!!
I have been down the stapedectomy road numerous times, the full feeling and muted hearing is probably due to the packing they leave around the bones--blood clots. They fill the inner ear with blood clots which the immune system will eventually liquify and it will drain out thru your eustachian tube. I know when mine drains, my eustachian tube spasms off and on, and I hear crackling. I think this is pretty standard with most middle ear surgeries, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!! Thanks and good luck to you!!

The Following User Says Thank You to slickysmom For This Useful Post:
leleoh (05-24-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
(female)

leleoh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickysmom View Post
just got done reading through your ordeal---whew!!
I have been down the stapedectomy road numerous times, the full feeling and muted hearing is probably due to the packing they leave around the bones--blood clots. They fill the inner ear with blood clots which the immune system will eventually liquify and it will drain out thru your eustachian tube. I know when mine drains, my eustachian tube spasms off and on, and I hear crackling. I think this is pretty standard with most middle ear surgeries, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!! Thanks and good luck to you!!
I've had no crackling or popping, just a steady plugged feeling that I've had since January when I fell. Some days the ear feels fluid filled and a little more plugged than normal, but a decongestant seems to help that feeling. I've been waiting for the cracking and popping to happen and nothing, just the plugged up feeling.

Had a mishap this morning in the shower, the cotton ball with vaseline was soaked when I took it out. Should I call?

Reply Reply