It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

JRC0820 HB User
Question Stapedectomy Question

For those of you that have had the surgery, what do you think the possiblity is that I would be able to care for myself post op? I live in a house on stilts so I would be needing to go up and down the stairs a couple times a day to let my dog out. My husband returns to work out of state in a few days and I am trying to schedule the surgery before he changes jobs so I can use his insurance as a secondary to my own. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: Stapedectomy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC0820 View Post
For those of you that have had the surgery, what do you think the possiblity is that I would be able to care for myself post op? I live in a house on stilts so I would be needing to go up and down the stairs a couple times a day to let my dog out. My husband returns to work out of state in a few days and I am trying to schedule the surgery before he changes jobs so I can use his insurance as a secondary to my own. Any help would be appreciated!
Hi! I was operated on this past Thursday and I'm at work today (desk job). I have had to do the stairs twice a day (or more) as my bedroom is on the second floor, I just hang on to the railing and go slow. The most annoying part is the no bending over, so I just squat down instead of bending over. I would say that you should not be alone the first day while you still have the drugs from the surgery in your system. Are there any neighbors who can pop in on you and let the dog out the first day or two?

After the first two days you should be pretty self sufficient. I'm 47 and horribly out of shape and I was cooking my own breakfast the morning after my surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

You can navigate stairs by sitting on them and moving up or down one step at the time using your hands to push off. That's an old trick used by people who have had knee or ankle surgeries to safely get up and down stairs. You look funny, but who cares.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

Based on my experience, as long as you take it easy, and hang on so that you don't fall and experience any sudden or abrupt movement...you should be perfectly fine.

I have stairs in my house, my bedroom is upstairs and my bathroom and kitchen are downstairs. I used went up and down as required immediately post op and I don't think that was a problem.

Just be careful.

Closed Thread