It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

slickysmom HB User
Stapedectomy Fiasco!!

I had my first stapedectomy 15 years ago in the left ear. It was uneventful, recovered quickly, great results. 5 years ago, I was in a car accident, hit my (L) side of my head, knew immediately something was wrong.....the force of the head trauma broke the foot of the incus, dislodging the stapes. It was repaired without problem. In Sept 2010, I was hit at work by a patient, the (L) side of my head hit a cement wall, I knew immediately something was wrong. I underwent a revision of my surgery on 11/2/10. I developed a fistula postop, so 1/12/11, I had to undergo a graft and replacement stapedectomy. I had nonstop vomiting and vertigo for 2 weeks. Couldn't keep anything down, had to have someone with me 24/7 just to get to the bathroom. All of the forceful vomiting perforated my graft...........on 4/12, they removed the stapes and re-did the graft, left the implant out to see if the graft would heal. I sit here deaf---(R) ear has profound loss, they have fitted me 3 times with a hearing aid, first one rubbed huge sores in my ear and quit working several times, was custom-made, the first of it's kind and was a giant FLOP. the 2nd one, again, custom-made, fitted to my ear--didn't fit. Now they've thrown one together in 20 minutes while I waited, feels like it's going to perf my ear drum when it's seated correctly. I am not a candidate for the new "Lyric" they have out, my ear canal is too short for it. I go in 6/1 for followup testing to see if they can put the stapes back in or if nerve is too damaged.
I am normally a very happy, upbeat person, takes things as they come, but find myself very depressed over this whole thing. I have been unable to work since surgery #1, so sitting at home with little income, inablility to do much without vertigo. I have begun therapy for balance and movement, but seems to be not working. Anyone else have problems like this.......I'm so sick of it, I'm about at the end of my rope!!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: slickysmom
billcindy1 (05-20-2011), leleoh (05-20-2011), RealityMatt (05-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
Re: Stapedectomy Fiasco!!

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you talked to your doctors about a cochlear implant? Maybe that could restore some of your hearing.

Closed Thread