It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

RealityMatt HB User
Post Stapedectomy - Sport & Fitness

G'day Everyone,

I thought I would start a thread to explore what people feel based on advice from Doctors and personal experience, what activities are appropriate and when post Stapedectomy.

Even though it is a question I have asked my Doctor several times, I never seem to get a solid answer as to what is appropriate in the period after 3 weeks post-op. I'm one to proceed with caution when it comes to such things, but given I am a very active individual, and can't live without keeping fit or playing sport, it's difficult to just launch in with confidence and without fear that perhaps I am not allowing my ears the maximum potential for healing.

I'm presently, 11 weeks post op, and I started getting back into the gym at about week 9, starting with activities like cycling, boxing, resistance training, and push ups etc. I haven't used heavy weights at all, but I am doing free weight excercises.

I haven't noted that I have done any damage, and the impression I get from my doctor is that in after 6-8 weeks the risk should be limited. I am worried though that there is a risk of pressure build up from excercise.

Wondering what others thoughts are, the advice they were given, and experience in general.
Thanks,
Matt.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
(male)

Skakinen HB User
Re: Post Stapedectomy - Sport & Fitness

Matt,
I had my stapedectomy done on March 16. Three months and some days have passed from then. I am a long distance rummer (marathon etc) so I was anxious about the time I would get back to training and race. From week 3 I started to walk at a fast pace (8 min/km) for about an hour or more 3 times/week. From week 6 I started to run slow (5-5,5 min/km) for about 30 minutes. From week 10 I am back to my regular maintenance program: 4 sessions per week (about 60km) intervals, medium long runs, situps, not very hard resistance training for the shoulders, hands and torso.
In the first week of July I am starting training for the Athens Marathon (November 2011): 5-6 sessions per week (>80km) inclunding easy runs, intervals, speedwork, long runs.
My own doctor had told me that after 3 months I could do everything (basketball, soccer) but my major (if not only) worry was about running.
That is all from me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
(male)

stephen46 HB User

this is a timely topic as I have the exact same question...I just had my procedure a week ago and my first follow up appointment with my doctor is tomorrow. So far my recovery seems to be on track without any obvious complications. My balance is almost back to normal and the initial dizziness is basically gone, which is encouraging. I can hardly wait to get the wick taken out of my ear as it is driving me crazy...in any event, my doctor's advice prior to the surgery seems very conservative-no bending, sex (!), sneezing, exerting, lifting anything greater than one pound, air travel, getting water in the ear, driving over bumpy roads or mountain passes, etc for a full 6 weeks. I am a competitive cyclist and am looking to get back on my bike as soon as possible, but I am going to be cautious. My biggest concern would be crashing on the road or in a race and banging my head and loosening the prosthetic, so I plan to stick to an indoor trainer for a while before I venture back outside. I will probably start with easy spinning after 3 weeks (assuming no issues have arisen) to maintain fitness and then progress to intervals at the 6 weeks point. Not sure when I will get back on the road, or if I participate in cyclocross in the fall. While I suspect my doctor is being overly cautious, I have concluded I need to follow suit. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow and I can get back to light training in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
(male)

stephen46 HB User

a follow up...I saw my doctor 8 days after the surgery and he gave me the green light to start easy spinning on a stationary bike. I started at the 14 day mark, being very careful not to exert myself or get my heart rate up above say 60% of my max HR. This first 2 days went fine...I plan to continue this for the next 4 weeks before even thinking about getting back on the road or doing intervals, etc. I am following all the elements of my doctor's advice to the letter, and if he had said "no" to the stationary bike I woud have held off. But so far, so good.

Closed Thread