It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
(male)

iwant2hear HB User
Stapedectomy In the AM

OK, I have read this forum for several months and have built up the resolve to schedule my procedure which takes place tomorrow. I was diagnosed with otosclerosis in 2004. I am 32 years old male and during my high school/college years I have noticed a gradual decrease in hearing. I never thought it was due to a hearing disorder but rather associated the loss with the loud music i loved listening to and the factory work I had during the summer months while not in school. So after college I was employed at a hospital in the IT department. Then I really noticed everyone talking so "softly" and I always had to have everyone repeat themselves. So over the years the loss has been gradually worsening and I have been wearing hearing aids since 2005. EXPENSIVE,,,especially since i lost a pair on a trip to visit my brother in California. I had to replace them at full cost. So, my responsibilities have now increased at work due to a promotion and I have to sit in meetings with the Medical Center Director, and QUAD leaders and service chiefs. Its very difficult taking part in these important meetings and discussion not being able to hear. I am often praying that no one asks me to answer a question or contribute to a topic that is being discussed because majority of the time I can only catch bits and pieces of the conversation and have to rely on lip reading. I am praying that my procedure is a SUCCESS in all areas of improved hearing with little to no complications during recovery. After reading this forum, and MUCH prayer, I am now confident that things will be just fine. I will follow up after my procedure and during the coming days, weeks, months.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: Stapedectomy In the AM

Good luck with your procedure! Keep us posted on how things go.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
(male)

iwant2hear HB User

Thanks for the reply leleoh, I will say that the surgery itself last right at 1.5 hrs. and I immediately can notice a hearing improvement. I will say that it all went quite well. I arrived at the clinic at 1pm and was called back around 1:15, dressed down, answered several anesthesiologists questions, started an IV treatment, downed a valium and zantax, wheeled down to the OR as soon as the valium began to kick in. I was transferred to the OR table and was given the "gas". Next thing I notice is my wife and nurse standing over me trying to awaken me. My wifes says that i was a little difficult to awaken, as I said to the nurse..."all I want to do is sleep" in a drowsy browse. I began singing one of my 4 yr old daughters cheers as well.

The side effects that I'm experiencing or have experienced so far is the extreme equilibrium and balace offset. It was like I was in an old V8 commercial walking to one side...leaning toward the right side which is the ear I had the procedure done. I was expecting this side effect due to reading numerous post on here regarding balance issues. It appears to have settled down quite a bit after a 4hr nap and a hearty "Campbells Sirloin and roasted beef soup" with crackers. My taste is a little bitter, just like when soon after brushing your teeth and drinking orange juice!! After eating some sweets and drinking fruit punch it seems to be coming back some. The other issues are the occassional "opening" and closing of my ear. When it opens it gets extremely loud and at times it seems as if I'm hearing through a tunnel. I have a slight pain every now and again on the operated ear, but none that has warranted pain meds. It is currently 10:18p, and I'm feeling fine. Seems like I'm still coming down from the meds but I feel really good and grateful that I can HEAR. My wife was all the way downstairs whispering I can could completely hear what see was saying.

I"m not sure if this is a GIFT or Curse.....Just Kidding. I am very thankful that I can hear. I'm optimistic that the recovery will go well. I'll start my anit infection medication at bedtime.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
(male)

iwant2hear HB User

BTW, I was prescribed 5MG of hydrocodone for pain
25MG of prmethazine tablets for nausea and vomiting
Ciprodex Otic Suspension 7.5ML (ear drops)

Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
(female)

leleoh HB User

Sounds like everything went great! Glad to hear it. I didn't have any nausea and almost no balance issues at all. I did have pain, but not too horrible. The taste thing is the nerve they move during the procedure. I'm 4 weeks post op today and still experiencing slight taste issues and minor tongue numbness on the operated side. It's much better than it was right after the surgery though.

I was given the same pain med, took an oral antibiotic and then switched to antibiotic ear drops after the ear canal packing was removed. When do you go back for a follow up?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
(male)

askrkrao HB User

Hi iwanttohear,

That's nice to hear. You got a very good recovery.
By the way who is your doctor.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
(male)

iwant2hear HB User

Follow up scheduled for next Friday 6/17. Then I will have packing removed and 1st post hearing test completed. Today, very little discomfort or side effects. I have yet to take any pain meds and the balance issues are all gone.

BTW, I live in Columbia, SC and my surgeon's name is Dr. Scott Thompson at Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat. The surgery was performed at the Palmetto Surgery Center. Very nice and caring doctor and staff. Dr. Thompson listened to all of my concerns and worries and was very patient with me to hear them and to provide detialed response on the side effects, and what to expect post surgery.

Closed Thread