It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
(male)

zallakab1 HB User
Cost of Stapedectomy

Greetings everybody, let me begin by thanking everyone for their postings. This board is a treasure trove of information and inspiration and has placed my mind at ease many a time since my stapedectomy surgery on June 7, 2011. I was curious of the cost incurred by others for this surgery. I have heard estimates ranging from $9000.00 all the way up to $15000.00 . I was somewhat surprised when I was quoted a price of under $6000.00. It was performed at a surgical center rather than a hospital, which shaved off $5000.00 . I live in Northern NJ and do not have health insurance. The price I paid includes initial consultation, separate blood tests and cardiologist, as well as a one follow up visit. I still have my inner packing but my results so far have been positive. Occasional bionic hearing but even when it disappears, I can hear way better than before. I did not suffer any side effects and drove myself grocery shopping 2 hours after being discharged.
Thanks
Carlos

Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
(male)

ccpd HB User
Re: Cost of Stapedectomy

@zallakab1, i live in new york and was considering traveling to Brazil to do the surgery, since it might be cheaper, I havent seen anyone post a price as low as 6,000 on these message boards, did you get both ears done or just one? I need both....
I wouldnt mind going to Jersey to get it down, it would actually be more convenient, what was your overall experience with the surgical center and doctors that took care of you? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

legmaker HB User

I had mine done in Oct. '11. The bill came out to a little over $4,000. Unfortunately the prosthesis slipped and I had to get a revision. I actually had it done today, and I feel a lot better than the first time. I work for the University of Rochester Medical Center, and my health insurance plan pays 100% for all surgeries. I feel like a jerk coming on here and announcing that.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
(female)

JMusician26 HB User

Mine was over $14,000! That was almost three years ago. Got it done by a surgeon at the House Ear Clinic here in Los Angeles. My insurance has a maximum out of pocket of $5,000, so that's what I paid for the surgery. I can't imagine if I hadn't had any insurance at all - it would've taken me years to pay off.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User

Wow, I feel for you all. The cost in the US is ridiculous for something which could make such a difference to peoples lives. I live in Switzerland where having health insurance is compulsory and I think there is some sort of cheap version for people on low incomes. I went half-private and I think we will have to pay 2000 CHF before the health insurance picks up the rest of the bill. If I had gone to a different hospital the health insurance would have paid it all.

I am from the UK where there is a wonderful, free NHS (National Health Service) so I find the health insurance thing a bit difficult to deal with. I gave birth to 3 kids in the UK without having to pay anything.

Aren't things supposed to be a bit better in Canada than in the US regarding payment? It would be one place you might be able to travel to (on an sleeper train???) without having to get on an airplane. How long do you have to wait after a stapedectomy before you can fly on an airplane anyway?

Clare

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki93:
billcindy1 (03-16-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
(male)

peofe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMusician26 View Post
Mine was over $14,000! That was almost three years ago. Got it done by a surgeon at the House Ear Clinic here in Los Angeles.
I just had mine done, also by House Ear Clinic, but at a surgery center in Orange County since I used House's Orange County office. My cost for just the surgeon and follow-up was estimated at $10,000-$12,000. I have not received the bills from the surgery center nor the anesthesiologist yet. I also had to pay for a separate pre-op physical, EKG and blood work.

JMusician26, who was your surgeon and how are you doing now?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
(female)

JMusician26 HB User

How are you doing after your surgery? I hope everything went well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peofe View Post
JMusician26, who was your surgeon and how are you doing now?
I love House Clinic - Dr. Luxford did the surgery and he was excellent. I'm doing okay now, the hearing in my right ear doesn't seem to have gone down any in the last three years since the surgery, so that's great. My left ear unfortunately has been declining rapidly lately! I don't recall it being this fast before. I'm going to go back for a hearing test in a few months and then probably have surgery on my left ear sometime in the fall. I had an incredibly easy recovery with the first surgery, which I credit to Dr. Luxford, and I'm hoping it goes the same the next time around.

I don't have as much extra money right now either, so that part will be tough. My insurance right now has a $6,000 out of pocket maximum, so I need to switch to something with a lower maximum unless I want to be making payments on my surgery for the next couple years. :-\

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
(male)

peofe HB User

@JMusician; Dr Luxford did my surgery, too. I looked back at your old messages, and can't believe you were AWAKE for the procedure. I told him to put me out! I can't wait to have the packing removed two weeks from today. I have no idea what kind of a result I'll have. Right now, I have no hearing at all thru the packing and cotton ball.

A bit of history... my Dad had a stapedectomy at House Clinic 40+ years ago! His hearing was so bad that it became very tedious to even talk to him. After his surgery, his hearing was almost normal until he died 20 years later.

Last edited by peofe; 03-21-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I also had my first surgery done while I was awake back in 1993...wasn t something that I wanted to do again and my recovery was about a month...but also having a 1 and 4 year old could have played in that too... I had a revision last year on that same ear due to my incus eroding and was put out and my recovery was 1 week..first revision was not to successful...about 50% hearing which i was happy with being I had about 20% after the ear stopped working...Dr felt piston was pushed out of place with scare tissue but mainly an artery that I have in that area..which was correct...second revision done in June and not needing my hearing aid anymore in my other ear that had 30% hearing in...I just had this ear done in Feb. and have awesome results...actually that ear is so much louder then the other done last year but it will tone down in time..I remember this back in 93.

Anyone who is wondering whether to get this or not...find a awesome surgeon and go forward.. I am so happy to be hearing with two ears...It has been years for me

Cindy

Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
(male)

zallakab1 HB User

Hello CCPD My doctor is Dr. Masayuki Inouye, of Bergen ENT 20 Prospect Ave Ste 909
Hackensack, NJ 07601 (201) 489-6520. I shall be returning again soon for my other ear. The surgery was done at a surgical center, which was about $7,000 cheaper than a hospital. The price I quoted was for everything, including paying my regular doctor to examine me to make sure I was healthy enough for the procedure. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was overseas for the winter. Regards, Carlos

Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
(male)

askrkrao HB User

Hi peofe/JMusician26 ,

I have some hearing issues in my right year.
Would like to schedule appointment with doctor in House ear clinic.
Not sure which doctor i have to choose. Its looks like all doctors are best in House ear clinic. I am confused choosing doctor. Can you please suggest doctor?

Thanks,
Ram

Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
(male)

peofe HB User

Hi Ram,

The only doc I'm familiar with is Dr. Luxford, who did my surgery. I was happy with everything from pre-op to post-op. I have continued to slowly regain hearing, and now, just over 6 months post-op I have about the same hearing in both ears, so I'm thrilled with the result. I would definitely recommend Dr. Luxford, but again, he's the only one I know at House. Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
(female)

fcoraggio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zallakab1 View Post
Greetings everybody, let me begin by thanking everyone for their postings. This board is a treasure trove of information and inspiration and has placed my mind at ease many a time since my stapedectomy surgery on June 7, 2011. I was curious of the cost incurred by others for this surgery. I have heard estimates ranging from $9000.00 all the way up to $15000.00 . I was somewhat surprised when I was quoted a price of under $6000.00. It was performed at a surgical center rather than a hospital, which shaved off $5000.00 . I live in Northern NJ and do not have health insurance. The price I paid includes initial consultation, separate blood tests and cardiologist, as well as a one follow up visit. I still have my inner packing but my results so far have been positive. Occasional bionic hearing but even when it disappears, I can hear way better than before. I did not suffer any side effects and drove myself grocery shopping 2 hours after being discharged.
Thanks
Carlos
Where did you have it done? Ido not have ensurance and the price seems very high elsewhere
Many many thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

I have no idea what my procedure cost other than the $2k insurance deductable I have.

Reply Reply