It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #46
(female)

SuSo HB User
Re: Good Stapedectomy Stories

Day 35 Post-op: I went to the doctor last Thursday and also had another hearing test. The volume in the operated ear increased since the last test which was 2 weeks prior. I told the doctor that voices are very loud but not clear. Apparently, consonant sounds use high frequency hearing which in my case was pretty well damaged in the surgery. The doctor says I may have had a "weakness" that caused it. He suggested that in a couple of months I get a "open", basket type hearing aid. As my hearing loss was "moderate" before the surgery, I hadn't gotten a hearing aid yet, so it will be my first one. I am hoping that since I now have one ear with high volume without high frequency tones and the other ear with clear low volume straight across, maybe my brain will learn to put the two together to have adequate hearing. I will have another test in about a month.

The following user gives a hug of support to SuSo:
billcindy1 (07-26-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #47
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi SuSo!
Wish you the best of luck for the hearing test that will be conducted next month.I hope if sounds have started coming,may be these will become more understandable with the passage of time.
My problem was that with severe loss in one ear and moderate loss in the other ear,I could not tell if something was being said and I could not turn my head to lip-read or use my better ear to try and hear something.But in your case,you can detect sounds with the ear which has louder volume and then adjust your position a bit and with or without hearing aid, you can hear/lip read etc and even understand /interpret gestures so I hope you should remain hopeful that you will have great chance to lead a very good life and with things further improving,you will have excellent life.

Last edited by mod85; 10-08-2011 at 09:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguine2011 For This Useful Post:
SuSo (07-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #48
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi!
Today it is 37 days post op.I have started sounds quite clearly and they are reasonably loud now as compared to earlier days because a few days ago,the sounds seemed rather soft but now they are quite good.Now when I insert a hearing aid in my unoperated ear,the sounds do not go up like they used to go before which means that my operated ear is already making sounds reasonably loud.
But sound of TV is still a little elusive.I can hear and understandd if the volume is a little higher but at times,they seem OK.
A new thing is that I did not feel any pain after my stapedectomy but today since morning,I felt pain in my operated ear 4 or 5 times for a very short time but the pain was not at all very severe.And the'crich' sound and flutterding which I experience while swallowing is still there.
My family does not seem bothered about the pain and the feeling of fullness in my ear because they say that when you experience any such thing, you start hearing even better.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #49
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I'm just short of 4 months post-stap. and I still get a dull ache in the operated ear. I also get the crunching noise when I swallow. I had a less than fully functioning e-tube on that side, so I guess I'm now hearing it "flop around," as one audie put it.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #50
(male)

Hi Fantine! Thank you very much for allaying my fears regarding the dull pain in my operated ear and also describing the crunching sound which I used to refer to as 'crich' sound about which I was a little worried that it might be something problematic.Now it appears that it is not something extremely unusual.
What about your hearing now and has it kept on improving and where does it stand now(how much have you gained after the operation and after the first hearing tests).
Again thanks.

Last edited by mod85; 10-08-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #51
(female)

The hearing in my left ear is now just about normal with a slight sensorineural loss at about 3,000. Before, I had a moderate hearing loss, with about a 50 dB loss at lower frequencies. I had it tested about 9 weeks after the surgery, and the next test will be after November 1st. My speech comprehension wasn't great in the beginning, because I was hearing low and middle frequencies that I hadn't heard in decades and they seemed to interfere with my ability to hear voices, but now it's getting much, much better. I intend to get my right ear operated on in the spring of 2012.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #52
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hey Fontaine...

Glad to hear that things are starting to get better for you with your hearing. I guess with myself only being at 8 weeks tomorrow I can only expect better as time goes on. I am very happy with my hearing The only thing that I am dealing with right now is trying to ignore back ground noisies focusing UGH...Last night we had tv on and an a/c running in the same room and I just could not stop listening to the a/c..I know my audiologist said this is all normal and my brain needs to learn all over again... I have noticed it is worse when i am tired.. I remember this with my first surgery back in 1992... But it sure if nice to be able to hear again.

I am looking forward to March 9th when I will go in and get my left ear done. Only have 30% in that so I can t imagine how wonderful it will be to have both working..

Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #53
(female)

I had the EXACT same problem with the A/C as you do. I hadn't heard it before even though I have lived in the same home for over 20 years! It was driving me crazy at first, but now, I almost never am conscious of it and I can fall asleep to its sound. Just give it time and you WILL adjust, just as I have.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #54
(male)

Hi all!
I am now 41 days post-op.I can hear ordinary conversation quite easily and even in noisy situations where a number of people were talking,I was very comfortable and in a 7 seater van with 7 people discussing different things and CD player also playing music,I could hear almost everything.I am so pleased.Now I can feel the difference between the sounds that come through even the best digital hearing aids and natural sound and can guarantee that ability to hear with natural ear is so very superior.Ear can reduce background noise,enhance speech intelligibility and you do not feel tired even when you listen to people all day long but the hearing aids(even the best ones) to be honest are not very comfortable to wear.
But even now if somebody talks very softly,I find it a little difficult to say with surety that this is exactly which was said.But interestingly,I can hear whispers quite well(a lot better than things said in low volume).But my tinnitus does not seem to have become any better as yet.
I have a hearing test on 9th August so do wish me well and I shall keep telling genuine/true and real time experiences about this wonderful procedure called stapedectomy.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #55
(male)

Hi!
I am very very pleased with my hearing otherwise because in ordinary conversations,I am operating without any hearing aids for the last a few days but sound of Television still seems very very low and I cannot understand what is being said except songs and advertisements(I suppose these are telecast louder than other things like drama,chat shows and movies).And I feel like going for my hearing aid for the unoperated ear in which I also have a moderate loss(loss of 55 db HL).
If any body can guide what has been their experience regarding TV watching and ability to hear without a hearing aid especially those can better guide who have otoscelorosis in both ears.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #56
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Sanguine...

I have otoscelorosis in both ears. Do you feel like your hearing is getting worse with the tv sounds? Also wondering if you are an allergy sufferer? I know that when my allergies are acting up everything is effected because my sinus are so clogged....

I have noticed that sometimes TV comes in to low..but alot of the times it is the channel because if I change it the next might be to high. I also noticed that while watching a live show the voice seemed not so clear to me...but once the next show was put on I was better..but I also was dealing with horrible allergies. This was last week and I will be honest with you...I was a total wreck just thinking that something was going wrong in there...scared the heck out of me..this has always been my worry that one day i will lose it again just like back in Dec. when my incus eroded...it was terrible.
I noticed that when I am tired I have a hard time with the focusing but my audiologist said this is all normal and in time will get better..just the brain needing to learn all over again. I know when I had my new heairng aid I had the same issue...

If there is any type of noise happening on the right side..a/c..car noises outside.my kids talking.my ear seems to focus on that and not the tv and the more I try the more frustrated I become.. I think that time is what I need for that. I do remember the same thing happening back in 1992...going into the grocery store and only being able to hear the beeping of food being scanned for price. The pulsing of white noise coming in is totally gone now...

Not sure if this is of any help to you...

Cindy

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #57
(male)

Hi Cindy!
I never had any ear problems or pain or discharge from ear but was always prone to sore throat and always had very bad flu.One of the doctors told me that the antibiotics you have been using,may have caused the Otoscelorosis to set in.
I feel the same about TV,on certain channels,I am just able to listen but on some channels,I cannot hear.But with other things,my hearing is continuously improving and I have started to enjoy life and really pleased.I can hear music on a music system which I could not even detect before surgery(that whether or not something was being played) but now at the same volume as everybody else,I can not just hear but actually enjoy it.
After a very long time,I have started hearing the tick tick of a Wall Clock.I can now tell that phone bell rang in some other room and can hear the utensils striking against each other.I can hear alarms and police sirnes etc.
But TV is creating some problems which makes me check my hearing again by talking to somebody and ensuring that I can otherwise listen.
I have a hearing test on 9th August and appointment with my surgeon,any questions that I must ask because if my hearing is back to normal from Conductive Hearing loss,I may not get another appointment so do guide me which are the things I must discuss with him.

Last edited by mod85; 10-08-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #58
(female)

Any concerns that you may have you should start writing down and ask at your appointment. I would start with how you are feeling with the sound from a tv... I think that our hearing can only get better as things settle down in there and heal and our brain readjusts to us being able to hear.

I have also many many times asked my hubby how does that volumn sound to you on the tv...and usually he will say it is kind of low for me i have to strain to hear it..and also I can say that certain people talking can be difficult too..but normally I will get from my hubby that person really does mumble and not talk clearly and I can t understand either... But I too am constantly asking how does that sound to you...

Can t wait to hear how your hearing test goes....

Cindy

Last edited by billcindy1; 08-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #59
(male)

Hi!
I am now 43 days post-op.Today, I am hearing popping in my ear continuously.But my hearing seems to have improved significantly and at times I forget that once I was almost deaf(with severe more than 70% loss in now operated ear and 55% loss in my other ear) and without hearing aids,world was quite noiseless and people seemed to move their lips but I thought they did not make any sounds.But now things have improved dramatically.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #60
(female)

Talk to your doctor about the popping the next time you see him/her. Maybe you need some kind of decongestant. I don't think that it has much to do with the surgery. You might just be hearing your eustachian tube adjust the pressure in your middle now, when you couldn't before because of the hearing loss.

Congrats on your excellent hearing improvement!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (08-02-2011)
Closed Thread