It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #61
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User
Re: Good Stapedectomy Stories

Hi!
I am now 45 days post-op after stapedectomy.I am hearing everything quite well and now sounds of ambulance siren,police van hooters etc and conversations seem quite loud and once or twice, I even said please speak a little less loud and then I was myself surprised because this has happened after at least 5/6 years because I had forgotten loud sounds.I had stopped hearing sounds at a distance and somebody had to point out and after that at times I realized that there was some sound but most of the times things were very quite.
I have been watching Television without a hearing aid for somedays now and can hear its sounds as well but TV sounds are not very loud or reasonably loud at all channels and at times I have to ask what did he or she say but most of the times it is fine.
Any body who is planning or has already had a stapedectomy,please be assured that it is a surgery worth risk taking but PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE is what is required and results will follow but once your hearing is back,you don't have to wear hearing aids even if you have hearing loss in the other ear(I have 55 db LS in unoperated ear) but now landline ordinary phone,sounds of pedestrains can cross road signal etc, wall clock tick tick ,microwave beep,washing machine running,sounds across doors and from other rooms are becoming a normal thing,utensils striking downstairs in the kitchen can all be heard.I am so pleased and happy.I have my hearing test on 9th of August,that will tell what I have really gained and why TV is still not as loud as other things are.Wish me well and I wish everybody fast recovery who already have had this procedure and want to tell those who are planning to get this done,that final decision is yours but if a good consultant recommends ,then this procedure is worth taking a risk.

Last edited by Sanguine2011; 08-04-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #62
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Sanguine...

So glad to hear that things are going so well for you!!!! It can only get better... I will agree with you and say PATIENCE IS A MUST!!! I am 9 weeks post op tomorrow and can say that things do get better as time goes on.. I guess when the surgeon said things need to settle in there he really meant it. I think the brain needs the most time for relearning alot of things..

I am so happy to have my hearing back.. Even hearing my hubby snore is something that I did miss and now it is back LOL.. Funny how the world seems so much louder to me.. Especially during the wee hours when you have to take your hearing aid out for sleeping. and I love it... I was in my home yesterday and was searching for the beep beep beep . I could hear it but couldn t figure out where the heck it was in the house...Then really listened and found it was a truck way down the road backing up that I could hear...AMAZING!!!!! I can now hear my ceiling fan when it is on..WOW!!

Cindy

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #63
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi!
I am now 46 days post-op.Now I seem extremely comfortable even at places where a number of people are present and I can easily ascertain from which side the sound is coming and even without adjusting my position,I can understand whatever is being said.I can now even hear Television sound,still a little less loud,but it has become reasonably audible.
But I still have a metallic taste in my mouth which at times seems less pronounced and at times I feel it more inspite of the fact that my doctor had told me that your operation went very well just after I came out of operation theatre and I believe he was right.
Slight taste problem is said to be a normal thing and it is said that it improves with the passage of time but hearing is such a big health problem that taste perhaps does not matter.
I am really happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #64
(male)

Hi!
I am now 50 days post op and I had my first hearing test today after stapedectomy.
My hearing is now 30 db which has 70 db before the operation and the doctor says it will further improve during the next two and a half months.
The doctor said that you do not need operation for the other ear because your hearing is close to normal now and you do not have to wear a hearing aid either.
But if your hearing further deteriorates with the passaged, after some years and you think or decide to get a hearing aid,you may discuss with the doctor but for now you are fine.I am so very pleased.
But he said that though my wound has healed but I should still continue to ensure that water does not enter my ear for some two weeks but even if it enters, need not worry much.
I must not blow my nose and should not play any games where I am hit on the left of my head and should still not strain my self too much and be careful about lifting weights but ordinarily I can lead a normal life.
I wish everybody very quick recovery who have had stapedectomies but these precautions and PATIENCE are a must for getting good results from this procedure in addition to a very good surgeon.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #65
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I was surprised to read that your doctor does not want you to get the second ear operated on. I thought that having both ears corrected was standard practice. Who wants to hear only from one ear?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #66
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I am surprised too...my doctor actually asked me if I wanted to consider the other ear for surgery which I had said yes but not until next year. I do know that if anything ever happen to the presthesis and your hearing stopped you can wear a hearing aid to hear and I only know this because it happen to me after my first surgery in 1992 this past December..

But you need to do what is best for you and if your doctor feels your hearing is ok then why not...

Old 08-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #67
(male)

Hi!
I discussed the issue with the doctor because after being able to hear like a normal person with one ear,I thought that I should get the other ear done as well especially because I did not have any problem(no pain,no nausea,no vertigo) and excellent results. But the doctor said that a prosthesis is certainly an artificial device and your hearing is measured in terms of your good ear.He further said that you do not have any problems with your nerve so you will hear like a normal person.I asked him that should I wear a hearing aid in this ear because I have a completely in the canal hearing aid,he said you do not need that.But after many year if your right ear(unoperated) experiences further hearing loss,you may consider hearing aid for this ear and then you should discuss with your doctor(not now).He is a very senior consultant and has perfomed many such surgeries and I am for the time being thinking about acting on his advice.
The interesting thing is that he told me that you have to be careful not to get hit on this side and not play sports where you are likely to get hit on the head whereas doctors usually say that you can do whatever you want to do and your ear is as strong as any body else's ear etc.And he asked me to come to hospital after one year for routine check-up.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #68
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I have to disagree. If you're not hearing with the other ear, you are at risk of developing irreversible tinnitus (ringing in the ear) due to the lack of sound being sent to your brain in that ear. If I were you, I would get a second opinion. I think your MD is out of step with the majority view that bilateral otosclerosis is treated with two stapedectomies, approximately a year apart, with the worse ear operated on first. That is the standard approach, not your doctor's.

Last edited by mod85; 10-08-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #69
(male)

Hi!
I feel that my hearing is improving further because now even the sound of Television seems louder and one important thing is that I can now understand conversations better than before.I am really happy.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #70
(male)

Hi!
I can now even hear TV sounds quite well.But I want to request everybody who is thinking about stapedectomy or has had it recently to take extra care of their operated ear.
Now I am 56 days post op but I have not allowed water in my operated ear as yet because water is not a good thing even when your ears are normal.
I have not blown my nose during all these days and intend not to do so even now and probably as long as possible in future.
I always sneeze with my mouth open and am very very careful about lifting weights and have stopped even bringing grocery so I have not lifted any weight after my operation.
I have not done any exercise during these 56 days.
But it does not mean that I shall never do these things because this is not possible but I know as a layman that when you have a wound it takes much longer than a few days to heal and when the inside of ear is so sensitive why should we not give as long as possible.
I have not taken any medicine which could have caused bleeding and for pain, I took only paracetamol and afterwards have been very careful.
Hearing is such an important faculty that to get it back, we must sacrifice certain things.Please always act upon the advice of doctors and be patient and try to avoid things which are prohibited as long as possible.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #71
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcindy1 View Post
I am surprised too...my doctor actually asked me if I wanted to consider the other ear for surgery which I had said yes but not until next year. I do know that if anything ever happen to the presthesis and your hearing stopped you can wear a hearing aid to hear and I only know this because it happen to me after my first surgery in 1992 this past December..

But you need to do what is best for you and if your doctor feels your hearing is ok then why not...
Hi Cindy!
After how long we can start living like normal people.In my real life,I have to use helicopter and a seven seater jet aeroplane which is I suppose pressurized,and now I have been taking all kinds of precations and have been living like a patient,to be honest.Please tell me can I do everything a normal person does or not.My doctor was very kind who operated upon me but the doctor who was detailed on duty to explain what I should do and how I should live like after say 3 months after operation was not very articulate.
Actually I was so happy to be able to hear everything that when I saw the real surgeon who had operated upon me and he said your ear is fine so go and get the hearing test done,I thought that I shall see him again but that did not happen.So I thought you can probably explain what is real life like?I don't suppose you have to tell everybody that you have a prosthesis and you cannot do such and such things etc.
Can you tell real life experience 'living with a prosthesis after stapedectomy'!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #72
(female)

Hi Sanguine...

My surgery was June 1st but this was my second I am also 47 years old -....first was Feb 18th 2011.Surgeon went back in..my presthesis had slipped out of place from scar tissue and an artery and I was dealing with dizziness from that. My doctor told me at my 5 week check up that I could resume back to normal life slowly. I workout daily and was not able to do anything but walking for those 5 weeks. I am not a big weight lifter (15-30 lbs) which he told me I could get back into slowly and light weights. I have only been using my 3 pound weights. I have a trainer that will work with me in the next month..personally I am waiting for the 3-4 month mark but my doctor said he felt i was fine to start out slow and low weights. I was able to get my ear wet from that night on (5 wks)...He told me everything was healed completely and i could even go swimming if I choose to.. I could also fly in an airplane too... I can not..ever...play volleyball (my absolute love) again..for the fear of being hit in the head on that side and dislodging the presthesis.. I play for fun at our campground but that is ok...I would rather hear... He told me I have NO restrictions at all... including meds. I can take cold med. anything he said...But I have not had any issues except my allergies since. I am treating my new ear like a newborn baby..If I uncomfortable with something I will no do it.. But honestly I feel like a normal person...hey two weeks ago I played in a darts tournament and I did pretty good..my bal. can be an issue at times..but hey I took third place..not to bad..

As far as the presthesis... I had my first stapedectomy done in 1992...and this past Dec. I lost my hearing again due to my incus eroding...I have heard this has happen to some from back there with the type of presthesis that was used. So I got 17 great years from that one and I do not regret having it done..and not everyone has had this happen..one dr.at my ENT office had his done in the 70's and still hearing fine...I honestly think it is different for each person...I have found that if I read to much on these boards it can scare the heck out of me... so remember we are all different. My doctor told me I can do anything...just no volleyball or sport that would cause a hit to my head..and to use common sense...

I would think your wondering about flying would be a question for your surgeon.Are you able to contact him at all? Because honestly if I had a question tomorrow I would not hesitate to call my surgeon to ask...But he is also my ENT dr. that I see in his office for any ear,nose,throat issues..

I honesty do feel that i have resumed back to real life..even better...now i do not wear a hearing aid in my un operated ear with only 30% hearing..so that is great..I am hearing wonderful... As far as people knowing..I am so happy for what I was given back and I would be happy to speak with anyone who asked me a question-I consider myself special..not everyone can say they have a bionic ear right....I have been down this road a few times. And I will go back down it again come March 9th when I will have the other ear operated and will hear from both ears..I don t even know what that will be like as I have had this problem forever...recovery was alot harder on me in 92 with a 4 and 1 year old so I lived with my one ear for 17 years..my doctor told me I could either get it done or not..my choice.. back in 92 I had it done awake..not something I wanted to do again. this time sleeping..better. When I lost my hearing in Dec. so many of my friends forgot about my problem and several didn t even know that I had a hearing loss in the other ear.. Life is wonderful after the stapedecomy...You do return to a normal life...I did!!!!

If you have any other questions at all...ask away!!! I will answer them for you...

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (08-16-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #73
(male)

Hi!
It has been two months since I had my stapedectomy(on June 20th 2011).After 10th day,I started hearing with my operated ear and within days its hearing became equal to my right ear(which has 50% hearding in it) and when the packing was removed on July 12th,I did not use the hearing aid even when I had important appointments.But the sound of TV eluded me for many days after that and at certain channels and during certain programmes, I had to use my hearing aid in the unoperated ear. But now the sounds of human beings,machines like at Tubes stations, trains,buses and people talking became extremely understandable and now for the last many days, I have not touched any of my hearing aids(I had behind the ear and Completely in the Canal both) before the surgery.Today, I had to think about where did I put my hearing aids,of course not to use but just to place them safely because I no longer need them even for watching TV(but they were the most important asset and a treasure for me all these years).
Cindy! I find your posts very sincerely written and most useful.You seem to be very very honest about everything you tell and people must be reading your post and benefitting from them.Please keep it up and let people take advantage of your experience and sincerity.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #74
(female)

Thank you Sanguine....

I am more then happy to share my experiences with my stapedectomy. I hope that I helped you... I know how tough it is not wanting to do anything to chance what you were given back...I so understand that fear...

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
leleoh (08-20-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #75
(male)

Hi!
It has been 63 days since my stapedectomy.Yesterday, I felt something in my ear as if it were ear wax coming out but when I touched it and took it out of my ear,I found that it was exactly like rather it was a piece of gauze which had been put in my ear after operation and resembled the pieces(exactly the same to be precise) which had been taken out on 12th July,2011 after three weeks of operation by the doctors.And later I put my finger in my ear but did not find any similar thing in it but to be honest, I have not allowed water to enter my ear during these 63 days and have also not inserted anything in this ear just to avoid any damage that I may unintentionally cause to my wound because I think that even after many months, the part of skin which has been cut, is usually tender and less strong than the adjoining skin.But my hearing seems even better now.I do not know how much gauze soaked in antiseptic solution is placed in the ear and could there be more in the ear even now?

Closed Thread