It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #76
(female)

Queen always HB UserQueen always HB User
Re: Good Stapedectomy Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine2011 View Post
Hi!
It has been two months since I had my stapedectomy(on June 20th 2011).After 10th day,I started hearing with my operated ear and within days its hearing became equal to my right ear(which has 50% hearding in it) and when the packing was removed on July 12th,I did not use the hearing aid even when I had important appointments.But the sound of TV eluded me for many days after that and at certain channels and during certain programmes, I had to use my hearing aid in the unoperated ear. But now the sounds of human beings,machines like at Tubes stations, trains,buses and people talking became extremely understandable and now for the last many days, I have not touched any of my hearing aids(I had behind the ear and Completely in the Canal both) before the surgery.Today, I had to think about where did I put my hearing aids,of course not to use but just to place them safely because I no longer need them even for watching TV(but they were the most important asset and a treasure for me all these years).
Cindy! I find your posts very sincerely written and most useful.You seem to be very very honest about everything you tell and people must be reading your post and benefitting from them.Please keep it up and let people take advantage of your experience and sincerity.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #77
(female)

Hi

So glad that you can hear without a hearing aid. Can't wait for that. I've had surgery on 20/04/2011 and still need the hearing aid in the left ear to help me cope. Going to do my left ear on 30/09/2011 so I don't have to use the hearing aid. Did have some improvement thus far. Hoping it will get better after the next surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #78
(male)

soecc HB User

Hi everyone.

Sorry for my bad english for start.
I'm living in Croatia, Europe and i have done my operation 2 months ago, and when i read the other stories, i think that i had the worst operation and the worst income as possible.
I had strong dizziness and been vomiting for 5 days, not been able to walk normaly for 20 days, and now still have some dizzines when i move head left and right, and i can not run. However, the worst part is that i have lost complete hearing in my left (operated) ear. The doctor said that it is a sensorineural damage and that can not be repaired. He gave me some medicine (Betaserc) and told me that there is i slight posibility that some of the hearing might return.
Before the operation i had normal hearing in my right ear (still do) and about 50-60% hearing in my left ear. Now i'm mad with myself that i even went to have surgery, when my hearing was not so bad.
However, i hear just a little bit when i listen to my phone ringing (but i must hold it very close), and whe i scratch the inside of the ear, i hear scratching noises. But, when i talk and hum, i can hear myself only at the right side. Also, when i breath deep for about 20 seconds, the bad ear starts to ring, and then it stops after 30 seconds.

I'm very troubled with the fact that i could never hear again on my left ear, and even more afraid of possible hearing loss in my good ear. I would not have courage to do the second operation.

I wanted to ask you if there is anyone that had a similar problem and that you gain your hearing back after a longer period of time (3 or 4 months). Some posted here that they couldnt hear anything but they gain their hearing back after a few weeks. I'm wondering if i can yet expect something good to happen.

Thanks very much.

The following user gives a hug of support to soecc:
Queen always (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #79
(female)

There is a possiblility that your hearing will return. This surgery can take between 6 and 9 mnths to heal, so be patient and positive

Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #80
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

It has been 70 days since my operation and I have almost regained normal hearing in the operated ear but yesterday when I touched my ear a few times and as there was very slight uneasiness because the wound which has healed apparently might still be a little sore because the outer/behind the ear lobe wound(though absolutely healed) still hurts if touched with a little force.But after that I felt some severe pain for some minutes in my ear where the opening that the doctors might have made but it went away and has not returned after that.I do not know if anybody else has felt that sort of a pain after such a long time.
But the good thing is that my hearing has become normal and I have almost forgetten about hearing aids.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #81
(female)

Dear Sanguinne

I am so happy that you no longer wear hearing aids!! Only God deserves the praises. I've had surgery more than 4 months ago but don't have such a drastic improvement. I still use the hearing aid in my left ear. Going to operate the left ear in September 2011. With regards to the pain that you have felt, I also felt it when I tried to touch the inside of my ear. As much the surface is healed, it does take much longer to heal internally. Don't stress - say Thank You God everyday for your healing!

The Following User Says Thank You to Queen always For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (08-30-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #82
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi!
I am now 73 days post op and I am hearing extremely well.But taste of my mouth is even now metallic and taste buds do not seem the same as they were before the surgery but I do not complain because hearing is such a fantastic gift and faculty that I am so pleased to get it back.That is why in my posts, there is very little mention of taste but can any one tell how long it took their taste to come back.(Again want to tell that I am not complaining but just want to know).

The following user gives a hug of support to Sanguine2011:
SuSo (09-03-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #83
(female)

FortBragg HB User

Regarding taste -- my mother had the surgery and her taste was metallic for over 6 months. I had my third stapedectomy in Spring 2009 and the taste on that side never came back. GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #84
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortBragg View Post
Regarding taste -- my mother had the surgery and her taste was metallic for over 6 months. I had my third stapedectomy in Spring 2009 and the taste on that side never came back. GOOD LUCK!
hi FortBragg!
Thanks for the reply so there is still hope for the taste to come back.But did you discuss it with your surgeon as to why the taste has not come back?
But I think that taste is a secondary issue,hearing is much more important.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #85
(female)

SuSo HB User

Hi Sanguine2011! So glad you continue to hear well! I am not so lucky, with my high frequency hearing loss, new tinnitus and "taste disturbance". Doc said he did not cut the nerve but rather stretched it so my taste should come back eventually. Many sweet foods taste salty to me and anything with salt in it tastes too salty. I also have cold sensitivity on a tooth on the operated side. The dentist sees no reason for it. I wonder if my doctor tweaked my tooth nerve during surgery. Anyway, life is good as we just moved to a condo one mile from the beach in Southern California.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #86
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSo View Post
Hi Sanguine2011! So glad you continue to hear well! I am not so lucky, with my high frequency hearing loss, new tinnitus and "taste disturbance". Doc said he did not cut the nerve but rather stretched it so my taste should come back eventually. Many sweet foods taste salty to me and anything with salt in it tastes too salty. I also have cold sensitivity on a tooth on the operated side. The dentist sees no reason for it. I wonder if my doctor tweaked my tooth nerve during surgery. Anyway, life is good as we just moved to a condo one mile from the beach in Southern California.
Hi SuSo!
Nice to hear from you and I am really impressed with your courage and how you take your life.Life is a beautiful thing and we should not mar our good moments with worries about some issues we might have.Taste will certainly come back and tooth issue will also get resolved with the passage of time.I would still say we did the right thing in deciding to go for surgery because it was a risk worth taking and we should not regret it.
Can hearing aid in this ear benefit you so that you can use it for the time being?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #87
(male)

Hi all!
Today I am 77 days post op and after many days right at this moment I am feeling pain in my operated ear which is inside the ear or may be towards the back of ear(but in the head).This is shooting pain by which I mean it is not constant pain but suddenly I feel pain which is just 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 or may be a little severer than that.I do not know why but may be I touched my ear too much today because I just felt like touching my ear and my be overdid it? While I am writing it,I have felt a break in the feeling of pain.
Can one feel pain even after 77 days and what kind of pain should be reported to the doctor who operated upon me(my hearing is fantastic but I am always worried but I do not want to lose after being able to hear again).
Can anybody share his/her experience or any body knows about it and why does not it happen?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #88
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

hI Sanguine2011....

I am just alittle over 3 months post op. I have to say I have had aittle discomfort in my operated ear but normally for me it is when my allergies are at their worse and my ears feel very clogged. I will take a decongestant and it will go away. If the pain stays with you pls call your doctor,,, Don t take a chance.

Cindy
\
Is there a chance that maybe when you touched your ear you may have scratched it inside? just a thought

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (09-05-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #89
(male)

Hi Cindy!
Thank you very much for allaying my fears once again.Yes I think I touched the inside of ear too many times but it has been 48 hours since and I have not felt pain afterwards.But I was scared for a short time when I was feeling pain.
I am hearing alright and now hearing is like when you wear a hearing aid in one ear and it seems that all the sounds are coming from that side.But the sound quality and speech recognition is much better than you have with a hearing aid especially the background does not remain a problem with natural ears but even if we do not like to admit,it is a problem when we are wearing hearing aids.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #90
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hey Sanguine.....

I have been in your shoes many times...freaking out. We have been thru so much and don t want anything to ruin what we were giving back. I went to the dentist today and I will admit I was scared to death... I did call my ear dr. and was told no problem..But I was still scared to say the least.

I have to agree with you on the hearing aid. I absolutely loved mine when I had it..When i lost my hearing my good ear only had 30% in it..so I heard nothing. But since the surgery and my hearing so good I do not wear it..My hubby has asked why not you will have hearing in both ears..I could not not explain it..I told him it is different if that makes since...he didn t understand but you do. I have noticed that each day my focusing gets better.. blocking out one sound to ear another. With time it has become easier for me.

So happy to hear that you are feeling better with your ear discomfort....It does help to have others that have been thru this....

Closed Thread