It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #121
(male)

soecc HB User
Re: Good Stapedectomy Stories

Don't be so down, at least you have hearing and good chances that it can only get better. I lost my hearing after stapedectomy in my left ear, and believe me, i would give anything to be in your shoes.

Last edited by soecc; 10-11-2011 at 06:02 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to soecc:
Queen always (10-12-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #122
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hi Queen....

Remember what I have already said...this surgery is like a wild roller coaster ride...ups and downs with your emotions...one day you are happy the next you are down.. Try to take one day at a time. I know it is difficult..this is your second surgery and I know that you are hoping for better results with this ear...I understand that totally... Today you are not having a great day...I also work with children and I know at times the noise level can be tough...Have you tried putting a cotton ball in your ear to help with the noise.. I have also found recently that if I have sinus issues my ear will be tender when I talk..and you know working with children you are constantly talking... You are what two weeks post... I know you also had all that dizziness after the surgery for several days...If it continues call your doctor..I didn t have to much after those days but i did here and there..and even now I will lose my balance...not falling..but side stepping I guess you could call it...

With this only being your second day back to work...you are tired I am sure...I know that after my week of recovery I really wanted to take a mid afternoon nap that first week back to work..just so beat...When your day is over you need to head on home...grab yourself a nice hot cup of tea..and kick your shoes off and put those feet up for alittle.. I also found that a nice warm bubble bath helped me so much. I would shut off the light and burn my lavender candle..ahh..just dont get that ear wet..LOL

Keep your chin up...tomorrow will be a better day for you. Are you still sleeping with the operated ear up...I did this for weeks and really found it helped me so much with pressure and also that clogged feeling... I remember some days I was so scared thinking something had happened because I felt my hearing was muffled...Remember ..you have the inner packing that needs to dissolve....When do you go back for your hearing test? 5 weeks post../ that is when I went

CINDY : )

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
Queen always (10-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #123
(female)

Queen always HB UserQueen always HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soecc View Post
Don't be so down, at least you have hearing and good chances that it can only get better. I lost my hearing after stapedectomy in my left ear, and believe me, i would give anything to be in your shoes.
I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your hearing in your ear. Is there no chance of recovery? I'm gonna just be patient and be positive.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #124
(female)

Hi Cindy

Thanks for your quick responses. At least I know you care! I'm gonna be patient and positive cos I know I am already healed! It has been tiring to be back at school and yes I wish I could sleep in the day which I never do cos I feel so drained. Today is 12 days after the surgery. I use a cotton ball in that ear all the time cos I don't want to catch a cold but the sound in it sometimes is so annoying and loud. I actually treat this ear as a normal ear and sleep on it also cos my dr said its fine. Does it really make a difference if you don't sleep on that side? Will it improve quicker in terms of the sound then I will definitely try it? He said only the first 48 hrs you shouldn't sleep on that side.

Thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it! Queen

Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #125
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Good Morning Queen....

I am not sure if it did anything with the healing process..but for me..I did find if I slept on it i was so uncomfortable...the pressure basically and I do know that a couple of times I did turn in my sleep and woke up with the pressure feeling and also clogged...So for myself it def. made a difference so i forced myself to sleep with it up....Give it a try and see how it feels in the morning. I would also get the pulsing on that side wth it down..but i also have an artery that runs thru that area that normally dissolves but of course I have to be different.

You are only 12 days post ..just take it slow!!

Cindy

Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #126
(female)

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and see if there is any difference. Will let you know how it went. I'm due to go back to the doctor around 07/11 thats 5 weeks from op.

Take care - Queen

The following user gives a hug of support to Queen always:
SuSo (10-16-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #127
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen always View Post
Hi Cindy

Thanks for your quick responses. At least I know you care! I'm gonna be patient and positive cos I know I am already healed! It has been tiring to be back at school and yes I wish I could sleep in the day which I never do cos I feel so drained. Today is 12 days after the surgery. I use a cotton ball in that ear all the time cos I don't want to catch a cold but the sound in it sometimes is so annoying and loud. I actually treat this ear as a normal ear and sleep on it also cos my dr said its fine. Does it really make a difference if you don't sleep on that side? Will it improve quicker in terms of the sound then I will definitely try it? He said only the first 48 hrs you shouldn't sleep on that side.

Thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it! Queen
Hi Queen!
I think Cindy is right in saying that we should not sleep on this ear.My doctor here in UK said that I should not sleep on this ear for sometime.What doctors say about 48 hours which is like 'must not' sleep on this ear for this period.Similarly for wetting your ear they say you can be less careful after 21 days or 3 months but it is better to be extra careful.Sleeping on operated ear can cause some problem so early(just after 12 days).But usually after this day your hearing improves rather fast and now you will feel improvement with every passing day.And also keep it in mind,it shall surely keep improving even after that period.But be more careful than doctors.Do not blow your nose,don't lift any weights for at least some period,if you have to sneeze do that with your mouth open,do not let water in your ear even if somebody says it does not matter.Do not catch cold,be extra careful.I know you know all this but just to remind you.Again wishing you a very quick recovery and excellent hearing improvement.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #128
(female)

Hi Sanguine,

Thank you also for the advice. I've tried not to sleep on that ear with some difficulty cos it hurts to sleep on one side only. I'm not one that sleeps on my tummy. But I will try if it will help. I'm looking forward to clearer sounds and a fully recovery. I'm trusting in God 100 %.
Queen

Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #129
(female)

Queen...

I have found that using pillows helped..I have slept with two for months and months...almost forces me to sleep on the other side..but I do know how tough it is...I had a stiff neck so many mornings. I put one under my head and the other on the side to hug ...so to say LOL... I even had a pillow placed between my hubby and I at my head because he is one to sleep with his arms up over his head I was so scared of him elbowing me in my ear by accident... never happened but I didn t want to take a chance...

Let us know how you are doing....

Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #130
(female)

I have used high pillows when I came out of hospital which helped. But I find it so uncomfortable to sleep on one side. My body feels so sprained in the morning. I've also read up on the dizziness and I have stitches on the back of my ear. Apparently when they cut the back of your ear, the dizziness is worse which I'm hoping will subside soon. I didn't have this for the first stapedectomy. The rowdiness and heartbeat is still annoying in that ear. Yesterday for a very brief moment I felt normal even with my hearing! Queen

The following user gives a hug of support to Queen always:
SuSo (10-16-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #131
(female)

So happy to hear that even for abit you felt wonderful...Only gets better from here Queen...They took skin from behind my ear for both my surgeries and the second I guess more then usual to really build up that area in there...I was not cut though and no stitches..They did cut my ear drum and pull it back to get in there though... I think your dizziness will get better...Is it constantly or now and then

The heartbeat seemed to stay with me for sometime ...I also noticed that I had the heartbeat sound with any white noise I was hearing for a little bit too..So when I took a bath..the water running in the tub was coming in a pulse for me. noticed the a/c did also...I spoke with several on here and was told it was the same for them...Figured i would share that with you in case you experience that....

Last edited by billcindy1; 10-14-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #132
(female)

SuSo HB User

Hang in there Queen! Even the bad outcomes like mine can see some improvement over time. It sure seems that doctors have lots of different methods and rules for post-surgery. I would go with the most conservative suggestions from people who have had successful surgeries.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #133
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcindy1 View Post
So happy to hear that even for abit you felt wonderful...Only gets better from here Queen...They took skin from behind my ear for both my surgeries and the second I guess more then usual to really build up that area in there...I was not cut though and no stitches..They did cut my ear drum and pull it back to get in there though... I think your dizziness will get better...Is it constantly or now and then

The heartbeat seemed to stay with me for sometime ...I also noticed that I had the heartbeat sound with any white noise I was hearing for a little bit too..So when I took a bath..the water running in the tub was coming in a pulse for me. noticed the a/c did also...I spoke with several on here and was told it was the same for them...Figured i would share that with you in case you experience that....

Old 10-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #134
(female)

Hi

The dizziness is there most of the time. I went shopping and I felt as if I was being pushed when I was walking and felt balance was off. Today I feel as if my hearing is very bad and having a problem understanding people. Shouldn't the hearing start getting better? There's still this windy sound in my ear and that doesn't help hearing people cos that sound is louder than some voices. Very depressed today! Queen

Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #135
(female)

Hi Queen....

sry to hear you are having a tough day...I hope it gets better for you. You are going for your post op hearing and drs. appointment within the next few weeks I believe correct? Have you contacted your dr. lately...just wondering if you had passed by him your symptoms that you are experiencing..I know my dr.s instructions had said if you have any dizziness or feel like your hearing has got worse call the office.. My first surgery in 1992 I had so much of your symptoms with the dizziness...I do get some dizziness now but nothing like you are experiencing... Today I have a bit of a cold..stuffiness..cough all that wonderful stuff..I do feel abit off...My hearing has not been touched much by it but I have noticed when I do have these symptoms when I talk it sounds different.. I still do not blow my nose much...I am to scared to do that..
But personally I would call my dr. if I was having the symptoms you are.. Like my hubby always says to me..the dr. works for you...you pay hm..when in doubt pick up the phone. I know I called him several times with my worries...always made me feel better in the end..

Keep your chin up!!
Cindy

Closed Thread