It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User
cannot hear from the operated ear

Could you hear right after the stapedectomy or only after the packing was removed? I got stapedectomy conducted on 20th June and now it is 27th, but I cannot hear from the operated ear as yet.My doc will remove packing on 12th July.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
(male)

stephen46 HB User
Re: Good Stapedectomy Stories

I was in the same situation as you after a week...I am now 16 days after my operation and my hearing has noticably improved. The big improvement actually happened when I woke up this morning, and noticed a significant difference from last night when I went to bed. Patience is not my strong suit, and mine was definitely tested during the first 7-10 days after the surgery...but patience is what you need. When I saw my doctor for the follow up appointment at the 8 day mark and had the packing removed I could tell he was slightly bemused at my anxiety over the success of the operation. He was able to tell pretty quickly that things went as planned, and told me a I just needed to give it a few more days. Follow your doctor's advice to the "t" and give it a little while. Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to stephen46 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (06-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi stephen46!
Thank you very much for such allaying my fears with a truthful reply.The amount of interest shown by others to our posts prompted me to share some more about my experience of stapedectomy.
I thought I had problems with my hearing some 10 years ago but when I discussed it with people,they said that as you can talk on phone and we never feel that you cannot hear so you do not have any problem at all but some 8 years ago I got my hearing checked and the doctor immediately said after 'Tuning Fork' test that I had Otoscelerosis which was later confirmed through various tests but they said that as it is mild conductive loss so you do not need to do anything at present but they also told me that it will become worse with the passage of time.
Some 5 years ago,I started using a CIC hearing aid in the left ear which had hearing loss between mild to moderate and the next 4 and a half years went very well with this aid and only 3 people pointed out that I had something in my ear and hardly anybody realized that I could not hear properly.
But some 6 months ago,I realized that I could not hear even with my hearing aid and when I got my hearing tested,to my great disappointment, I was told that my hearing in left ear had become severe to moderate(from mild to moderate)in left ear and moderate in right ear and now Completely in the canal hearing aid(which are really not visible from outside) cannot correct my hearing so the doctors asked me to do two things : Start using Behind the ear hearding aids immediately which I did and I have been using two hearing aids since March 2011, and I was declared a good candidate for Stapedectomy and I got operated upon June 20,2011.
As I do not smoke and otherwise do not take any medicines at all so the doctors seemed very pleased especially the anaesthesia persons.
I was asked to come to hospital at 7 am and had been instructed to stop eating and drinking at 2 am which means 5 hours before coming to hospital.
I at my meal at 11 pm and had a cup of tea at 12 mid night and did not take anything at all after that "NIL BY MOUTH' after that.
The staff confirmed details etc and made sure that I had not eaten anything by mouth and was not taking any medicines and that my left ear was to to operated upon and asked me to wait for my turn which was expected to be in the after noon.
At 12 noon I was asked to be wear my gown and we walked to the operation theatre where we reached at 12.10 pm(quite a long walk just before operation) and then at 12:20 they put needle in my veins and told me that they are going to give me anaesthesia.
I did not feel any pain or problem and when a nurse woke me up and asked how I was feeling I immediately looked at the Wall Clock and it showed 3.25 pm and believe you me I do not remember a thing about what happened during those 3 hours.
When I woke up,I immediately asked whether they had removed my stapes bone and replaced it,I was told yes they had done it.
In the recovery room,a doctor came at 3.40 pm and told me that my operation went very well and talked to the nurses and left.
The nurses gave me water to drink and asked if I wanted tea or coffee and offered a sandwich but as I was feeling giddy, I said I shall wait for some time.The nurses kept checking my blood pressure and pulse and seemed satisfied.A nurse came to me at about 5 and told me to walk a little but when I tried to stand on my feet ,I thought I shall fall due to dizziness and she asked me to sit on a chair for a while.After some 15 minutes I was taken to wash room and broutht back but at this moment I also felt sick(nausea) which subsided within minutes without medicines.
Then I ate sandwich and had a cup of tea.I felt fine. The nurse asked me who will come to pick me up to take me home. I told that my wife and brother in law will come.I asked that when can I leave she said any time after this.I left the hospital at 7 pm.
They gave me painkillers only(and did not give any antibiotics)which I was supposed to take for a few days regularly and then only if I feel pain.They said if you feel nausea, drink water but no medicine.
I came back and had my meals and slept on the right ear and was a little groggy the next day as well and my head became cloudy at times but no major dizziness and I did not feel sick(nausea) and did not have pain in my ear.But made sure that I did not lift heavy objects, do not go down stairs,just relax and watch TV.I did not blow nose and ensured that no water enters my ear and changed cotton daily(only the outer part,inner packing is not to be touched by me).The doctor will remove it on July 12.
I have not gained any significant hearing in the operated ear so no bionic ear except on the first day when at night I could hear TV even after removing my right hearing aid but later on it went away and now I cannot hear a telephone on the operated side because very little sound that reaches my brain is very faint and seems to come from miles away.But my wife says that when she talks in the dark,I respond whereas previously I could not hear at all. But to be honest, today is 10th day after operation but I am still waiting for that miracle for which I went through all this.I shall keep posting further progress.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-19-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
(male)

Hi all!

Today is 10 day of of my stapedectomy, and perhaps first time,after right after operation,I had a conversation with my family without hearing aid in my right ear(I had stapedectomy in left ear).I could hear voices from behind me and even with my eyes closed.I could not hear even when directly looking at the speakers face before this operation.
So the important thing is to be patient after surgery because a few days ago,I could not hear a thing.
Wish all of you who are recovering from stapedectomy, a very quick recovery.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-19-2011 at 03:00 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguine2011 For This Useful Post:
SuSo (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

So glad to hear that!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (06-30-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

SuSo HB User

I too had my stape. on June 20th. I am still waiting for my replacement ear to be better than it was before. Loud sounds kind of seem harsh and annoying, but voices are garbled like I am under water. It actually seemed worse after I saw the doctor at day 8 when he pulled the "gel" out and put in ear drops. Right now my hearing in my replacement ear seems worse than before the surgery

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
(male)

Hi Susane!

As you know I also had stapedectomy on 20th here in UK but here doctors do not give you any antibiotics or any other medicines except painkillers so they allow full 21 days time for healing. They shall take out packing on 12th July.

Exactly like you, I have not had any improved hearing in my left(operated ear) as yet. However,my family says that there is some improvement but to be honest, I am not sure that I can hear better.There is still a very very small (just a dot) of blood on the cotton that I have been asked to put in my ear,in addition to packing, but overall I feel alright, no pain, no dizziness etc. But I have not noticed any improved hearing as yet.

Please keep sharing what you experience but remain optimistic and things will certainly improve.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
(male)

Hi Susane!
hearing does not improve immediately after surgery and it is only after wounds heal and packing is removed after at least 2 weeks.And that the hearing goes on improving for the next three months.

I think it is very important that we remain positive and wait for at least 3 weeks because by then some of the hearing will be back and also some healing

Here in UK,no anti-biotics are prescribed and only painkillers are given and even packing is removed after full three weeks.This 3 weeks period is importannt because normally human body takes this much time to heal and cut or wound.

Wish you best of luck and a fast recovery and a very good hearing.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

SuSo (07-02-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanSwanson View Post
I too had my stape. on June 20th. I am still waiting for my replacement ear to be better than it was before. Loud sounds kind of seem harsh and annoying, but voices are garbled like I am under water. It actually seemed worse after I saw the doctor at day 8 when he pulled the "gel" out and put in ear drops. Right now my hearing in my replacement ear seems worse than before the surgery
Hi Susan!
How is your hearing now?Has it improved?
My hearing is still muffled and I think but I am not sure that my hearing has slightly improved overall because my family tells me that I can hear certain sounds or conversations which I could not hear before.That sounds good and one feels like believing it.But to be honest, no bionic sounds, no extraordinary improvement as yet.But I do not have vertigo,dizziness etc.I do not have any pain as well but the outer cotton, which I put in my ear daily,still has a blood stain on it which is very very small but I am still waiting for pure white cotton to come out because only that can confirm that my wound has completely healed.
Please tell me your hearing because we had our operations on exactly the same day.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
(female)

SuSo HB User

Day 13 post-op: I have oto. in both ears and had surgery on the worse ear.My hearing was never so bad that I used hearing aids, but I could not hear people unless they were facing me and could not hear when I was chewing food. It was an issue as I teach English as a Second Language and my students don't speak very loudly. The last few days, I have been testing my hearing by covering one ear and listening to different sounds. I think my hearing in my fixed ear has become strange. Some sounds, like a cricket chirping I couldn't hear at all, when before surgery I suspect I could hear. When I speak and cover the fixed ear, my voice is very loud, and much better than when I cover my unfixed ear and speak, so I know something has changed. When I rub my finger on the outside of the fixed ear, I hardly hear any sound compared to the unfixed ear. This is worrisome to me. My fixed ear still has a slight buzz that is constant but I don't notice unless I think about it, also lots of popping when I swallow or yawn. My hearing does not seem better when I use a cell phone, in fact it seems more garbled, although very possibly a touch louder. Dr. said I still have fluid in the middle ear so I am hoping that is what is causing the issues. I want to research conductive and regular hearing, to try to figure out the odd hearing that I have in the fixed ear.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
(female)

SuSo HB User

Re: 13 days pos-op stape. I think I found an answer to help explain my odd hearing in my fixed ear. Apparently, in an ear with no conductive hearing loss the difference between plugging your ear and not plugging your ear while humming is greater. As this is the case with my fixed ear, maybe it is a good sign. Perhaps the lack of hearing is sensoryneural and is still due to the fluid in the middle ear.

Oh, BTW - not sure if I had stapedectomy or stapedotomy - just know dr. lasered the old stape and put in a fake one.
< edited >

Last edited by Administrator; 07-04-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
(male)

Hi Susan!
I think we need not worry because I am almost feeling the same sort of things.I have been doing exactly the same to check my hearing and covering my good(right) ear to see if I can hear through my operated ear but to be honest, I could not hear properly but I can hear sounds through it which at least confirms that I have not lost hearing in my operated ear which is the biggest risk associated with this surgery.I cannot hear mobile hear on this side because sound seems to come from a very long distance but if I turn on the speaker and completely block the other ear, I can hear the sounds quite well.One good thing is that if somebody speaks from behind me,I can tell that somebody is speaking and I can also tell what the other person is saying with minor mistakes which means that some words are not clear. Before surgery, if I removed my hearing aids,I could not tell whether TV sound was there while others sitting at equal distance could hear that sound properly.Yesterday, I closed my eyes and exerted all my energies to hear what was being said and I could tell what was being said but otherwise,I cannot hear properly.
You are right that as the issue was not with our auditory nerve and we do not have sensoneurial loss so we are interested in sounds which travel through our ear canal (which simply put is conductive hearing) and as in my case I have an outer cotton and inner packing which will be removed on 12th and then healing process inside which takes more than three weeks so if things are improving and we do not have total hearing loss,no vertigo,nausea and no or minimal discharge from ear now on day 14 post-op ,we should be satisfied and hope for the best.
I think those who had failed stepedectomies, had either sensoneurial loss which cannot be corrected through stapedectomy, most of them had vertigo and nausea after surgery and many had infections and they did not act upon advice of doctors regarding sneezing or blowing nose or lifting of weight or slept on the operated ear and there was extra bleeding but both in your and my case we do not have any such problems and we have been acting upon doctors advice,eg I did not use stairs for 10 days, I have been on bed rest for all these days,never sneezed or blew my nose and almost never slept on operated ear so far and did not have any fever or pain in the ear so we should hope for the best.
Law of probability also points to that because we had both operations on the same day one in USA and the other in UK and we have same symptoms and feelings and same sort of hearing and it is not probable that both are operations were not successful because failures in just 2%(total failure) and in anohter 8 % cases there is minor improvement in hearing and in 90% cases there is marked/significant improvement so we should hope for the best.
BTW,I started hearing poping sounds only yesterday and today,I can hear many things even with my eyes closed so just remain positive and keep acting upon doctor's advice and stay healthy, take good diet which helps in healing process(balanced diet).Do keep sharing your progress.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-04-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
(female)

SuSo HB User

Thanks for encouragement. I e-mailed my dr. to see if I can move my appt. sooner as it just seems that my hearing was better before the surgery.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
(male)

Hi!
I hope everything is fine with your ear and the doctors tells you that you have regained all your hearing when you actually go for a checkup and by that time more inner packing will have dissoved.Wishing you a very quick recovery and a lot better hearing in very near future.

SuSo (07-04-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen46 View Post
I was in the same situation as you after a week...I am now 16 days after my operation and my hearing has noticably improved. The big improvement actually happened when I woke up this morning, and noticed a significant difference from last night when I went to bed. Patience is not my strong suit, and mine was definitely tested during the first 7-10 days after the surgery...but patience is what you need. When I saw my doctor for the follow up appointment at the 8 day mark and had the packing removed I could tell he was slightly bemused at my anxiety over the success of the operation. He was able to tell pretty quickly that things went as planned, and told me a I just needed to give it a few more days. Follow your doctor's advice to the "t" and give it a little while. Best of luck.
Hi!
How are you doing now and has your hearing further improved to come close to normal? Please keep sharing.

Closed Thread