It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

Mriccio HB User
Long lasting vertigo after Stapedectomy!

hi I had my surgery June 23 and it is June 28 and I remain quite dizzy. Spoke to doctor who advised bedrest until i see him tomorrow.
Does anyone else have any comments or experience about long lasting vertigo after surgery?
Please let me know
Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Long lasting vertigo after Stapedectomy!

I had my 2nd revision on June 3rd. My first was Feb 18 and I had no vertigo at all. I was able to walk back into the house on my own. This last surgery was not so easy. I needed help into the house and could not walk without help for about 4 days and my walking was at a snails pace..with support constantly. then after that I did get some vertigo but it was not to bad. As long as I was taking it pretty slow. The thing that I can remember after this surgery was everything being so amplified in my head if I was doing it have you experienced that..not my hearing though..so scratching my head was painful or even brushing my teeth and forget about talking ouch!!!..this also passed in about 4 days. I remember my doctor telling me to lay down until things settled down in there..my comment I can t even lay down it is that bad..so I spent those days in an up right position..

I am 3 weeks 4 days post op..not doing to bad and hearing good too.. If I turn around to quick or raise my head quickly I will get dizzy or even off balanced for a min. or two. My hearing is good and occasionally I do feel clogged.. like I am talking under water but not effecting my hearing much... my allergies have been acting up..usually a sudafed clears it up.

I hope that you are feeling better soon. Are you having your packing out tomorrow or just a follow up? How is your other ear (un-operated) I know from reading the posts on here everyone seems to have a different experience with recovery. My packing was taken out 10 days post op..I was putting drops in my ear twice a day and continued that for one week after it was removed.. Please keep us posted on your recovery.... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

Mriccio HB User

HI thanks for responding. Your comments were very helpful.
My concern though is the dizziness that, while not severe, is very present........and My surgery was June 23 and here it is June 29. I dont know what the doctor will be doing today...if he will be taking the packing out or not? I wish that I could inquire as to a list of questions that I could ask him?
Any ideas as far as that goes?
he told me to stay in bed/lay low if the dizziness was that pronounced. so I have been but sadly, i dont have the luxury to do this e.g. not work etc.
Please let me know your thoughts on if I should be concerned that the dizziness is still with me.
Thanks again

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I would def. speak with the doctor about your concerns. I do know I was told there is a dizziness pill to help with that...but maybe your dr. just wants to let things settle down a bit. I can honestly say I did not experience the dizziness that long but I have read on here many have unfortunately : ( I do still get little dizziness off balance here and there but really nothing to complain about.

I would gather all those questions and have them ready for your visit and ask away. I myself go with a list ready to ask.. my doctor is always expecting it now. and I will say..several times I arrived home and forgot one..so on the phone I went

I can understand your concern with this though...I am sure you are now anxious to get back to work .. I hope that you get answers at your doctors appointment today. Let me know how you make out.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
(female)

Mriccio HB User

Yes, I sure will let you know how it goes.
Any questions you think bear asking please let me know those as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
(female)

GOOD LUCK Mriccio I will be checking back later this evening to see how you made out. I would def. share your concern about working and your dizziness. Are you out for a week or longer from your job to recover.?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

Mriccio HB User

well no i am a teacher who has just lost her job so my work is seeking new employment. What would help is if you could post with some questions that you have asked your doc on the past. I am just concerned that i dont have all my questions ready. this whole thing has been overwhelming and i dont have my questions all prepared. Any ideas for questions, please send them via post if possible. thanks!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
(female)

My questions to my dr. were about getting the ear wet after packing was taken out....what weight was ok to lift...you know cat liter..grocery shopping..all that stuff we do daily...exercising...anything I should not be doing for the next 5 weeks while healing took place....and also ask about that dizziness you are experiencing.. i was told no nose blowing...sneeze with your mouth open and in the crook of your arm of course...what could I take for allergies awful right now for me...anything at all that you have a concern about you need to ask him.. ..can you hear if you rub the cotton ball... do you have any hearing in the other ear...I did not have much at all in other ear and have to wear a hearing aid in it

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

Mriccio HB User

ok this is helpful. have escalated about this and so sometimes cannot keep focused.
thanks so much.I have the same or better hearing in operated ear and no change is noted in unoperated ear.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
(female)

FortBragg HB User

Has your dizziness improved? I hope so!

Closed Thread