It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

KingaBrown HB User
my stapedotomy report

Hello everyone!
To make a long story short, I had 2 tympanoplasties done on my left ear only to find out that I lost hearing completely and I underwent a stapedotomy a week ago. The doctor removed some of the packing from my ear on 4th day post-op and tested me with a fork which I could not hear at all. I'm really worried that this time didn't work either.I'm so frustrated and tired of this hearing issues and this long treatment that only bring disappointments. I have about 90% of hearing loss in left ear as a result of first tympanoplasty that supposed to correct my minor then hearing loss. My questions is: did anyone experienced delayed hearing restoration after stapedotomy or it looks like this surgery was unsuccessul as well? It's a week post op and I can only hear very loudly speaking person or music that plays loudly but nothing else.
All I read is that people get their hearing back immediately after surgery and the sounds are really amplified? I would appreciate comments. Should I freak out now or later? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User
Re: my stapedotomy report

Hi!
I had a stapedectomy,exactly 11 days ago and I could hear only yesterday for the first time.Even now the sounds are muffled and seem to come from quite a distance.Please do not worry and keep your fingers crossed.I don't think the doctor has removed all the internal packing because wounds normally take at least 21 days to heal.
Remain hopeful.Wish you best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

KingaBrown HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine2011 View Post
Hi!
I had a stapedectomy,exactly 11 days ago and I could hear only yesterday for the first time.Even now the sounds are muffled and seem to come from quite a distance.Please do not worry and keep your fingers crossed.I don't think the doctor has removed all the internal packing because wounds normally take at least 21 days to heal.
Remain hopeful.Wish you best of luck.

Hi, you know,you just made my day. I feel a little better knowing that there is still hope for the positive outcome of this surgery.Thank you,lol. Today my ear feels very plugged, its really annoying but I will do my best to stay positive and be patient. My doctor told me that he removed just some of the packing so I'm hopeful that there is still too much of it for me to hear. I hope your hearing will get better and better each day, I wish you luck too and thank you for keeping my spirits up.Have a great day

Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

SuSo HB User

I had my Stapedectomy on June 20, 2011, so I am 11 days post-op. Loud noises hurt my ear, but after I had the packing removing and drops put in, my hearing is worse than before the surgery. It seems like I hear voices but they are garbled, like I am under water.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

KingaBrown HB User

Hello, I guess everyone experiences something different. Today I'm exactly 7 days post -op and I feel like my ear is plugged or underwater.Occasionally I get some popping or weird noise in my ear like someone would turn on the faucet and water is running in my ear. I'm trying to be patient but it's difficult after struggling with the treatment for a year now,3 surgeries on one ear.I just want this nightmare to be over. Wishing you luck with your recovery and hopefully you'll hear much better soon

Last edited by Administrator; 07-04-2011 at 09:25 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to KingaBrown For This Useful Post:
SuSo (07-01-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

floridachick1 HB User

I had my stapedectomy 13 days ago. Today I went in to have the packing removed and was told that I had a healthy scab and that everything was great. I did have a horrible first week and awhole lot of dizziness and off balance with a ton of sounds I had never heard before and muffling. I still have alittle bit of muffling going on but my hearing is way better than before the surgery. I think it all depends on the surgeon and what he used to pack it for the recovery and healing time. I still am experiencing some ringing (tinnitis) but my surgeon told me today that it will get better and better with time that it takes several months for the ear to completly heal and be back to normal. They typically do not do any hearing tests at least for a month to get a more accurate idea of the success of the surgery. Every one heals at different rates and some people are more prone to infection. Keep you head up and keep me posted on your recovery. I think that your surgeon is jumping the gun by taking out the packing so soon though...

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
(female)

KingaBrown HB User

Hi, tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op and unfortunately looks like this surgery didn't work for me either cause I can't hear. I think I should hear something by now and I don't.This is really frustrating. If I don't improve till my next visit at the end of this month I'm going to seek a second opinion from another ENT cause I'm loosing the rest of my trust for my current doctor. I'm glad to hear that your hearing improved,awesome.Wish you speedy recovery and keep me posted on your progress.Let me know if the tinnitus went away eventually.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
(female)

SuSo HB User

Do you think your hearing is worse than before? If you suspect sensorineural hearing damage from the surgery, make sure you contact your doctor as Prednizone may be prescribed. It has a short window of time during which it may be effective in helping the situation.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
(male)

clada7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suso View Post
do you think your hearing is worse than before? If you suspect sensorineural hearing damage from the surgery, make sure you contact your doctor as prednizone may be prescribed. It has a short window of time during which it may be effective in helping the situation.
hi, i am 15 days since my stapedotomy and i do not here anything yet except the fork. My doctor described prednisome for 5 days. What are my chances for hearing?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
(female)

KingaBrown HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clada7 View Post
hi, i am 15 days since my stapedotomy and i do not here anything yet except the fork. My doctor described prednisome for 5 days. What are my chances for hearing?
Hi there, I hope that you'll regain your hearing soon. I wasn't so lucky. My doctor was not caring enough to give me steroids when my hearing was getting worse after initial tympanoplasty and as of now I have profound hearing loss in my left ear due to nerve damage. It can't be restored and I'm forced to wear a hearing aid on my right ear and will have BAHA implant done in near future to accomodate for lack of hearing on left side. My doctor f... me up for life. Before surgery I had a minor hearing loss and now I have single-sided deafness. Your doctor cared and you have at least a chance to get your hearing back. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's still very early for you to hear so don't lose hope. Take care of your self and keep me posted

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
(female)

SuSo HB User

Did the Prednizone help? It didn't for me. My stapedectomy was June 20, 2011 and I really didn't expect to hear better till the packing came out a week later. I called the doc about a week later when I realized I could hear better in my unfixed ear. Doc says I must have had a "weakness" and now I have high pitched tinnitus, and sensorineural damage in the high frequencies.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
(female)

KingaBrown HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSo View Post
Did the Prednizone help? It didn't for me. My stapedectomy was June 20, 2011 and I really didn't expect to hear better till the packing came out a week later. I called the doc about a week later when I realized I could hear better in my unfixed ear. Doc says I must have had a "weakness" and now I have high pitched tinnitus, and sensorineural damage in the high frequencies.
Ohhh,that's too bad,sorry to hear that. Do you know what causes that kind of damage? I'm trying to figure out whether my doctor made a mistake and caused the nerve damage. I'm extremely upset and can't believe that I won't regain any hearing in my left ear. I'm still trying to accept the news. My advice to anyone is: do a research on your ENT before you let the person touch you cause 1 day can change your life forever.It did change my life, for worse though. Good luck to you all

Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
(male)

clada7 HB User

I star taking the the tablet today. I will post my progress as soon as I finish them.

Closed Thread