It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

floridachick1 HB User
Recent Stapedectomy Report

Hi this is my first time posting! It has been one week exactly today since my Stapedectomy in my left ear. Was done as an outpatient in Celebration, FL and took about 2 1/2 hours total for surgery and recovery. The surgery went wonderful but woke up from anestesia vomiting every time I turned my head and very off balance. I felt no pain went home slept for a few days. During the first 3-4 days had major vertigo even though I went back to work 3 days post surgery. I worked through it even though it was a huge struggle. I work for a Dr. as a receptionist so I just tried to stay seated the entire time. I have expereinced several different sounds from my left ear. Pretty funny but one sound I have labeled my alien, it sounds like a high pitched alien sound LOL. I have also had alot of snap, crackle, popping, echoing along with major tinnitis. After feeling very dizzy and off balance for 5 days I started to get winy and scarred thinking it was never gonna end... LOL But today I woke up feeling like a million bucks Thank God! Can't wait to get this packing and cotton out of my ear... It is driving me crazy!! Other than that I have had people tell me that one ear is the primarily used for balance and that is why some people experience major vertigo while others don't. So keep your heads up if you are experiencing what I did it will eventually get better just be patient.... With that said good luck and hope you have a wonderful recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User
Re: Recent Stapedectomy Report

Did you have otoscelerosis in one or both ears? And did you have that bionic sound and you heard everything or is it a muffled sound ?Were you told that you will be able to listen better after packing is removed. Mine will be removed after 21 days.Sorry for so many questions.But do reply.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

floridachick1 HB User
Smile Re: Recent Stapedectomy Report

They think I have it in both ears but at this time only my left was affected severely. Eventually my surgeon told me that I would possibly need it in my right as well. My surgeon took the packing out today along with a very healthy looking scab as he described. The sounds only came with the surgery as far as the high pitched bionic or Alien sound but went away after a few more days. I am still experiencing Tinnitus (which is the constant ringing but today he said that it would get better and better all the time. Due to the fact that your ear isn't completely healed for several months you will experience these things. My hearing is still somewhat muffled but I am hearing more than I did before the surgery. I was told before surgery that the hearing will deteriate and get worse before it gets better so hang in there. I wonder though why you have to wait 1 month before taking out the packing. I was sooo anticipating getting that junk out. YEAH all the itching is just about completely gone....

The Following User Says Thank You to floridachick1 For This Useful Post:
Sanguine2011 (07-08-2011)
Closed Thread