It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

Sasha615 HB User
Question Extreme Hearing Sensitivity

Hello,

My name is Samantha and I am 24 years old. I have Cerebral Palsy (Spastic Diplegia) but for as long as I could remember (and from what my family tells me) I have always had an extreme senstivity to sounds. From what I have noticed it has only gotten worse as the years go on. Some doctors say that its because of the Cerebral Palsy, but I think it is from something else. Most of the time when I hear what I consider a loud sound I get startled (I'll jump as if I been scared) and depending on the magnitude of the sound it could send me into a panic attack.

These are the sounds that affect me. Fireworks, thunder, anything slamming, motorcyles, car horns, certain instruments (if they are loud), sorround sound (which is why I will not go see movies in a movie theater), a person raising their voice, etc...(this list can keep going so I'm just going to stop it here).

Fireworks and thunder are what affect me the most. When I hear these sounds it will usuallly induce a severe panic attack. (I'll start shaking and crying) For me it past the point of sheer ebarrassment and humiliation because I've had to deal with it my whole life. However, it seems to be getting worse as I age (especially in the last 7 years)

After the fireworks ceased tonight I decided to research some more information about this. I found some stuff about Hyperacusis, but I do not even know if it pertains to my symptoms. Anyway, because I'm trying to seek assistance from Vocational Rehabilitation concerning school and employment, they are sending me to see an audiologist on the 12th. I am really hoping they could make some sense of this. This condition had always been debilitatating for me and it has only gotten worse with time. I know things can be worse and I am grateful they are not. But I need help from someone because I can't feel at ease in school, work, home, or other public places.

Does anyone know about this condtion. Or know someone that has it? And can shed some more light on it for me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread