It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
(male)

stephen46 HB User
eardrum perforation

ha anyone had an issue post-stapedectomy with the incision on the ear drum not healing? I am 4 weeks after my operation, and when I wake up in the morning any do anything that seems to increase the pressure in my ear just a little (stretching, yawning, etc) I feel like my eardrum is being pressed from the inside out...like it is under a lot of stress from the pressure. After a few minutes it doesn't repeat again for the reast of the day, but the following morning brings the same thing. I am not scheduled for my next follow up for a month, but I am not sure if this is something to be concerned enough about to move up my appointment. I am meticulous about keeping water out of my ear and not blowing my nose, and don't have any pain, dizziness, or discharge from my repaired ear...although I do occasionally have a sort of pulsing sound/sensation. I have sneezed a handfull of times without any apparent issue. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: eardrum perforation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen46 View Post
...although I do occasionally have a sort of pulsing sound/sensation. I have sneezed a handfull of times without any apparent issue. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
Howdy Stephan46,

I am almost 2 months post op and have had 2 follow up appointments already. My eardrum looks perfect according to the otologist, but I am still having pressure issues. Mine pressure issues occur mostly driving in the car, it's like my hearing goes in and out, like my ear opens and closes. Have you had a post op hearing test yet? How is your hearing post op? I ask because mine is not very good so my otologist wants to wait 6 months and see where I am then.

The Following User Says Thank You to leleoh For This Useful Post:
stephen46 (07-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen46 View Post
ha anyone had an issue post-stapedectomy with the incision on the ear drum not healing? I am 4 weeks after my operation, and when I wake up in the morning any do anything that seems to increase the pressure in my ear just a little (stretching, yawning, etc) I feel like my eardrum is being pressed from the inside out...like it is under a lot of stress from the pressure. After a few minutes it doesn't repeat again for the reast of the day, but the following morning brings the same thing. I am not scheduled for my next follow up for a month, but I am not sure if this is something to be concerned enough about to move up my appointment. I am meticulous about keeping water out of my ear and not blowing my nose, and don't have any pain, dizziness, or discharge from my repaired ear...although I do occasionally have a sort of pulsing sound/sensation. I have sneezed a handfull of times without any apparent issue. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
When did the doctor take out the inner packing from your ear?Or it is still there and what is now your hearing like? For a proper answer,these things will help anybody who tries to answer your question.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguine2011 For This Useful Post:
stephen46 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
(male)

stephen46 HB User

I had the packing removed after about 8 days and the doctor said everything looked fine at that point. One thing I found kind of interesting is that the doctor simply removed the packing, took a quick look in my ear, did a tuning fork test and sent me on my way. I have read that other people had their ear cleaned out, but none of that in my case.

My hearing in my left ear has always been in the "normal" range, but over a period of many years the hearing in my right ear became essentially zero. I could sleep with my left ear on the pillow and my wife could be watching the TV with the volume up loud and I couldn't hear a thing...same thing if the telephone rang or my alarm went off. A combination of my work schedule, insurance situation and finding the right doctor prompted me to get the surgery now, after putting it off for a long time.

The hearing in my right ear has definitely improved some since the operation, but it doesn't seem to be as good as the left ear. However, after reading all the potential bad outcomes in the informed consent forms I signed before the operation I would be satisfied if I got even a little hearing back without any complications. I haven't had a hearing test yet, that is scheduled for 9 August. My doctor is out of town now and I am not sure if there is anything unusual about the feeling I have in my ear every morning.

I really appreciate this website, since those that have had this procedure can relate to my situation...even if they haven't experienced the same symptoms. When I was panicking after 2-3 days and wondering if I made made a huge mistake, this site was a great source of comfort. I am not stressed out or anxious at this point, more curious if there is anything going on. I suppose it could be a perfectly normal part of the recovery. That's what I hope.

Closed Thread