It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
Sound of your own voice after stapedectomy

I'm now just past three months since my left ear stapedectomy. I have a question for others who have had the surgery. I'm still hearing my voice much louder in my operated ear than before. I also can hear my neck joints creak loudly and, if it's quiet enough at night, the sound of eyeballs moving (!). While I had pulsatile tinnitus before, I can now hear my heart thumping when I exert myself during exercise.

I know that heightened sensitivity to your own voice and body sounds is called autophony and is a symptom of superior semi-circular canal descience (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), but my surgeon had me undergo a CT scan and that was positively ruled out as the cause of my hearing loss, with otosclerosis being the diagnosis. Has anybody else experienced some form of autophony after a stapedectomy? I never heard these noises before, and I'm wondering if they're just the result of not having lower frequency hearing before. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Sound of your own voice after stapedectomy

Hi Fontaine...I am only 6 weeks post this coming Friday. I do have the pulsing heartbeat for sure...but I have that rare artery that some have in that area...but it does seem to be getting better with time. As far as the other you are experiencing...I have not had that. Is this something that just started or you had since the surgery...? The only time I seem to hear my own voice loud is if I am clogged up with my allergies....but it does not effect my hearing from what I can see...just my own voice. Usually once I feel this I will take a sudafed and it usually helps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks for your reply. This "autophony" has been getting more prominent as the weeks go on. I do have TMJ on that side, and I was told years ago that I have a dysfunctional eustachian tube on the left side, too. From what I'm reading, it sounds like my e-tube is staying open when it should be closing. Maybe the surgery just made the e-tube problem more prominent, since I can so much better in the left ear. As for my pulsatile tinnitus, that used to be a whooshing sound, now it's a thumping. I heard that initially right after the surgery, and it went away, but now it's come back. I made an appointment with my surgeon this week, but it's not for four weeks.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

UGH TMJ...I am experiencing that right now. OUCH! I have it so bad that I was so worried after my surgery that one pop of my jaw would pop the piston....scary. I am now dealing with tooth discomfort and also ear discomfort wihich my dr. has said is all from the TMJ.major grinding and clenching at night..I am now giving in and getting that mouth guard made..wish I would have done that before but my insurance has zero coverage and I just couldn t afford it.... I never realized how many other symptoms go along with TMJ... I also read that you ears can be so effected with it...I am hoping that once my mouth guard is in all my face discomfort...jaw...headaches..and al the other symptoms I am experiencing will disappear does it make since when I say my jaw feels like it needs to relax. I feel foolish not getting this guard before but it was not to bad...but I will say right now..it is awful.

I hope that things start to get better for you...but your hearing is good since the surgery????

Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

My hearing is excellent after the surgery -- it's essentially normal, with only a very slight hearing loss at about 3,000, which my surgeon told me was not caused by the otosclerosis, so it wouldn't be affected by the surgery. If anything, I hear TOO well, which is why I wake up every time my A/C turns on or the folks in the apartment above mine walk around, making the floorboards creak!

I went to a dentist who specializes in TJM, and he told me that my problem was partially caused by a bad bite due to the 7 crowns that I have. That was before my ear surgery, and I didn't go back, which I should really do now.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
(female)

My dentist just readjusted my bite too.... I have to say today is the first day this week that my mouth seems to be getting better in terms of discomfort. Still there alittle but not as bad as yesterday. Last night was the first time I slept on my operated side..no discomfort..and I think this also helped my tmj which is alot worse on that side. My jaw would literally pop out of place during the night laying on that side. So I think this may be the reason I am feeling alittle relief today. I think back to the first two weeks after my stapedectomy and wonder if it would have been easier on me if I had the mouth guard. I had alot of trouble eating because my jaw hurt so much with chewing and actually dropped 10 pounds..Dr said the swelling had my jaw messed up..Bet it would have been easier if I had it.. Oh well...live and learn right

I will be setting up a date for my left ear when i talk with him on Monday after my hearing test. I will def. get this ear done next year...I do not even know what it is like to hear from both sides...something to look forward to.. I have had one working ear for years and never had a problem..Back in 1992 with my first surgery things were alittle harder on my recovery. I had a 1 and 4 year old at home...I will say no more

Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

Just wanted to update...

I was 6 weeks this past Friday post op...I went today for my hearing test and final follow up with the surgeon...My hearing test was excellent I was told...audiologist was impressed and my surgeon said exactly where it should be... Asked if I had any problems since surgery...I said nothing really except the normal..but I am feeling excellent. He told me that I can now get my ear wet...and back into my exercise activities but slow on the weights (start very light so 3 lbs it will be) He said jogging..running all ok...just use common since and take it easy as I am still healing. We did talk about my left ear getting surgery but he said he wanted to give my operated ear another 3 months or so before doing anything...I am thinking March anyway so that is fine with me and he was happy i was not in a rush too.. So I am good to go..and extremely happy... I went to the gym tonight with my daughter and boy did it feel good...I only did the treadmill and exercise bike.. sure felt great to hear everything without my hearing aid in....man the music they play there is loud LOL...

Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
(female)

leleoh HB User

So glad your hearing is doing so well! Very happy for you, you went through a lot to get here!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
(female)

catie700 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
I'm now just past three months since my left ear stapedectomy. I have a question for others who have had the surgery. I'm still hearing my voice much louder in my operated ear than before. I also can hear my neck joints creak loudly and, if it's quiet enough at night, the sound of eyeballs moving (!). While I had pulsatile tinnitus before, I can now hear my heart thumping when I exert myself during exercise.

I know that heightened sensitivity to your own voice and body sounds is called autophony and is a symptom of superior semi-circular canal descience (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), but my surgeon had me undergo a CT scan and that was positively ruled out as the cause of my hearing loss, with otosclerosis being the diagnosis. Has anybody else experienced some form of autophony after a stapedectomy? I never heard these noises before, and I'm wondering if they're just the result of not having lower frequency hearing before. Thanks.
Hi! I am post op day one from a left stapedectomy & my voice seems very loud. Also I can hear my footsteps as though they're in my head, also very loud so much that I'm walking on my toes on the tile floor. I remember always hearing my heart beat in my ear & this is now pronounced. I'm hoping this will settle down as my recovery process continues.

Closed Thread