It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
(male)

stephen46 HB User
8 week appointment post-stapadectomy appointment

I had my right ear stapadectory on 13 June. My left ear is fine, but the hearing in my right ear was severely degraded. I put off the operation for more than 20 years after my initial diagnosis of otosclorosis but finally decided to get it done. Like many people on this forum, I had a lot of anxiety after the procedure as I experienced new feelings and sensations post-operation and tried to figure out if they were part of the "normal" recovery or signs of complications. Fortunately I don't have any of the potential adverse side effects (metallic taste, ringing in ears, numbness, dizziness, etc). At my follow up appointment today I learned I have had a lot of hearing restored, can probably expect more, and the lingering symptoms I have been having (popping in my years when I yawn, a pulsing sensation when I excersize) are normal and should go away over time. I have been cleared for all activities, including vigorous execise, swimming, etc, with the exception of scuba diving and flying in unpressurized aircraft. I have another follow up in 6 months. Although my hearing is still not as good as the hearing in my left ear, overall I consider the procedure to be a success and as of today, knowing what I know now I would do it over again. Good luck to those that are contemplating the procedure and are in the recovery process. My only advice is to get the very best doctor you can, and follow their post-op advice to the letter.

The Following User Says Thank You to stephen46 For This Useful Post:
catie700 (09-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User
Re: 8 week appointment post-stapadectomy appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen46 View Post
I had my right ear stapadectory on 13 June. My left ear is fine, but the hearing in my right ear was severely degraded. I put off the operation for more than 20 years after my initial diagnosis of otosclorosis but finally decided to get it done. Like many people on this forum, I had a lot of anxiety after the procedure as I experienced new feelings and sensations post-operation and tried to figure out if they were part of the "normal" recovery or signs of complications. Fortunately I don't have any of the potential adverse side effects (metallic taste, ringing in ears, numbness, dizziness, etc). At my follow up appointment today I learned I have had a lot of hearing restored, can probably expect more, and the lingering symptoms I have been having (popping in my years when I yawn, a pulsing sensation when I excersize) are normal and should go away over time. I have been cleared for all activities, including vigorous execise, swimming, etc, with the exception of scuba diving and flying in unpressurized aircraft. I have another follow up in 6 months. Although my hearing is still not as good as the hearing in my left ear, overall I consider the procedure to be a success and as of today, knowing what I know now I would do it over again. Good luck to those that are contemplating the procedure and are in the recovery process. My only advice is to get the very best doctor you can, and follow their post-op advice to the letter.
Hi Stephen!
Congratulations on good recovery.What is your hearing now in terms of db if you have a report you can see it and tell.
My doctor asked me not to get hit on left side(operated ear).
But can we sneeze like normal people and also not worry about catching cold and what about lifting of weights.My doctor told me to slowly move towards a normal life.He said you are fine now and may come next August(2012).Did you specifically ask about leading a perfectly normal life and your doctor replied in affirmative and lifted all restrictions?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
(male)

stephen46 HB User

I actually didn't get my hearing in Db's...I forgot to ask, but my doctor will send me a report. Whatever it is, the Db level is much better than it was before. And yes, the only restrictions my doctor placed on me ws strongly recommending against scuba diving and flying at high altitude in unpressurized aircraft, and of course not getting hit n the head from boxing, rubgy, etc (which I don't do anyway). I didn't ask him about driving a car at high altitude in the mountains, and that is something I need to do. Just to be on the afe sign I am going to avoid swimming or flying for at least several more months, although those are things my doctor said are perfectly fine at this time.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen46 View Post
I actually didn't get my hearing in Db's...I forgot to ask, but my doctor will send me a report. Whatever it is, the Db level is much better than it was before. And yes, the only restrictions my doctor placed on me ws strongly recommending against scuba diving and flying at high altitude in unpressurized aircraft, and of course not getting hit n the head from boxing, rubgy, etc (which I don't do anyway). I didn't ask him about driving a car at high altitude in the mountains, and that is something I need to do. Just to be on the afe sign I am going to avoid swimming or flying for at least several more months, although those are things my doctor said are perfectly fine at this time.
Hi!
Yes you are right.We should take maximum precautionary measures for as long as possible.I think driving a car on any altitude is OK now because after two months we are said to be fine(almost normal).But as far as other things are concerned,we may be careful and must never do certain things like Scuba diving,flying in unpressured aircraft and boxing, rugby etc.

Closed Thread