It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
(male)

paul4488 HB User
Leaking seal after stapedectomy

Greetings board! So glad to find you all. My 1st post.

Tues Aug 9th right ear stapedectomy
Wed very dizzy, nausea.
Thurs got better,by end of night much better.
Fri morn even better, released.

Fri night took a turn for the worse. Dizzyness returned, vomited repeatedly. Surgeon thinks i may have a loose seal. I may have done a no no and by blowing my noze, however lightly, loosened the seal. But...the nose blow did not take place until after these sypmtoms started so...

Trying to make it till Monday appt with surgeon in his office.
Taking Lorazepam under toungue, only thing i could hold down.
Meclizine HCI was just able to hold a dose down for the 1st time.

Can you talk to me about this "leaking seal"?
Fear having to have it done all over again. Hoping an adjustment can be made in his office with light anathesea.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
(female)

catie700 HB User
Re: Leaking seal after stapedectomy

Greetings, I am 24 hours post left stapedectomy. The surgeon at St. Vincent (Dr. Friedman) was very professional. I was getting "cold feet" the day before surgery & had put a call out to him. When he called back (a short time later) he was very positive & encouraging. Following the surgery he whispered to "test" my hearing which sounded very loud. I was immediately able to hear sounds which I had not heard in a long time. I have not (yet) been dizzy or nauseated. My hearing still seems better than it was but I have a pack in my ear which will come out in two weeks. I'm very hopeful that I will be able to hear normal once again! It's a very isolated feeling to not be able to hear & to always ask "pardon me?" I did remove the cotton ball which was saturated with blood.
I hope this is normal & will keep you posted on any changes. Good luck to anyone thinking about going through with this. I feel very blessed to not have had any ill effects as of yet & am sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catie700 View Post
Greetings, I am 24 hours post left stapedectomy. The surgeon at St. Vincent (Dr. Friedman) was very professional. I was getting "cold feet" the day before surgery & had put a call out to him. When he called back (a short time later) he was very positive & encouraging. Following the surgery he whispered to "test" my hearing which sounded very loud. I was immediately able to hear sounds which I had not heard in a long time. I have not (yet) been dizzy or nauseated. My hearing still seems better than it was but I have a pack in my ear which will come out in two weeks. I'm very hopeful that I will be able to hear normal once again! It's a very isolated feeling to not be able to hear & to always ask "pardon me?" I did remove the cotton ball which was saturated with blood.
I hope this is normal & will keep you posted on any changes. Good luck to anyone thinking about going through with this. I feel very blessed to not have had any ill effects as of yet & am sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience with this.
Hi! Wish you the best of luck with recovery.But please be informed that the sound will go away after the first day and will come back in around a week or 10 days but please don't blow your nose,if need to sneeze do it with open mouth,do not sleep on the operated ear and do not lift weights and be positive and hope for the best and patience is what is needed.
Again wishing you a very quick recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguine2011 For This Useful Post:
catie700 (08-31-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Hi Catie!
Yesterday I forgot to mention that do not let water enter your operated ear for at least three weeks and even afterwards until doctor expressly tells you that the wound they made has completely healed and that you are allowed to allow water into your ear.It simply means that you cannot go swimming and even have to be very careful while taking a shower.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
(female)

catie700 HB User

Have you had this surgery?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hi Catie 700

I had the blood soaked cotton ball myself and was told very normal. I was fine the next day. How are you feeling now??

I am 3 months post op and really feeling wonderful...I do still have issues with my balance every now and then...seems mostly when I am tired...not focusing I guess. But really not bad at all and I can honestly say I have always been that girl with bad balance..but no biggie at all.

I def. had the dizziness and no balance at all for the first 3 days and it did get better from there. Those first few days I could not walk on my own...I started hearing out of my packing on day 4 or 5 for about two days I believe and then it clogged up and nothing for two or three days after that and then it returned.. When he took out my packing on day 10 sounds were alot more clearer thats for sure. Each day since things gets better...I can honestly say that your brain needs to relearn alot again. I found that focusing was my biggest issue. If there was an ac on and a person talking...my ear wanted to focus on the ac.. totally normal too... but now I am better with sitting in a room with several things on and focusing in on what I want to hear. I had to wear a hearing aid in my left ear before surgery and now since my right ear works well enough to not need the hearing aid in the other. I am planning on getting left done in Feb.

Good luck!

Cindy

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
(female)

catie700 HB User

Hi, Today is day 3 post op. & I'm still getting about one soaked cotton ball a day. At night time it feels itchy & like fluid is running out of my ear. I'm a bit dizzy but mainly if i move too fast. I can no longer hear anything out of my operated ear. I'm going to patiently wait (i have no choice) until the packing is removed. The packing comes out on day 14 (11 days to go & counting down). I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to hear again as on day one I had a friend over & she thought I was able to hear her low voice which I couldn't hear in the past. I do martial arts & am a competitive dresssage rider (horses) so I hope my balance is as good as it was before. Thank you for your comment, it was helpful.
God Bless!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Have you had this surgery?
Hi Catie!
Yes,I had stapedectomy on 20th June,2011 and I have regained normal hearing in my left(operated ear which had 80% loss before surgery) and I have stopped wearing hearing aids in both my ears because my good ear compensates the loss in my right ear.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

catie700 HB User

OMG I completely forgot & blew my nose!!!! It wasn't a real hard blow, just started to & felt my ear pop slightly. I hope i didn't mess anything up. I don't feel any more dizzy than before the blow but now I'm scared.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
(male)

Quote:
OMG I completely forgot & blew my nose!!!! It wasn't a real hard blow, just started to & felt my ear pop slightly. I hope i didn't mess anything up. I don't feel any more dizzy than before the blow but now I'm scared.
Hi Catie!
Do not worry much because if it were not a hard blow, you must be alright but be careful in future.First 21 days are very important so always keep in mind that you have had an operation.It is good policy to request somebody around you to keep reminding you that you are not supposed to do certain things.Otherwise when you feel alright and you do not have pain etc you start doing things which you should not do.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sanguine2011:
catie700 (09-02-2011)
Closed Thread