It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
(female)

benandlukesmom HB User
laser stapedectomy recovery

Hi! This is my first post, and I could really use some help from anyone who has had a laser stapedectomy. I have had 2 of these procedures to correct otosclerosis in both ears. My first surgery was in 2005 and was a huge success, no issues or concerns with recovery. My second surgery was August 9, just last week. Everything seemed to be fine, no initial issues, until last night. I went for my one week hearing test and dr`s appointment and was told that my hearing was returning and everything was looking great, come back in three months. The doctor also told me to go about resuming all normal activity. Very exciting news, indeed! So I went to bed, and slept on my operative side for the first time. I woke up with my ear feeling all blocked and like it needed to be popped, with my pulse very loud in my ear. Is this normal!!! If I plug my noise and very gently blow, my ear almost pops.....not the best idea, I`m sure!

Any help, experiences would be greatfully appreciated!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: laser stapedectomy recovery

Hi Ben and Lukes Mom!

I had my stapedectomy on June 1st...I went back in one week for the packing to be removed and was told that I needed to take it easy. No nose blowing exercising could only be walking for the next 5 weeks while I was healing. I never slept on my operated ear because it was just way to uncomfortable not only would I get the pulsing but I would get alot of pressure too. I had that pulsing in my ear for sometime...and I also was hearing white noise in a pulse also (a/c..water running..blow dryer etc.)If I did to much I found that the pulsing was there which I took as a sign I was doing to much. I found that if I did not sleep on my operated ear it did not feel clogged..but honestly I have only started doing that recently...but I do know that if that is your normal sleep position it is really hard to not do it during the evening. Don t worry about that pulsing...everyone has it and some longer then others. I seemed to have it alot the first week then it was there but not to bad then it would come back..and it is gone now If you find that when you wake up your operated ear feels clogged ...try to force yourself off it during the evening. I actually had positioned two pillows in my bed to make myself sleep on my other side.

I would also suggest not trying to pop your ear...this was something my doctor stressed to me...and I know...it is so hard!

How is your hearing? I had my hearing test at the 5 week mark along with my follow up with the surgeon. My one week post was only to remove the packing and see how the ear was healing..I do know that when he pulled out the packing I was hearing great..I was also hearing thru the packing at day 4 but then it clogged up for the next 2 days then returned.

Take it easy!! Remember you are still healing.. I am planning on going back March 9th for my left ear to have a stapedectomy. I have only 30% in that ear right now...so it will be wonderful to hear from both ears!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread