It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

mostafiz HB User
Stapedectomy in Massachusetts

Hi,

I was diagnosed with otoscleresis in my both ears. hearing is pretty low..I need to ask someone twice to hear properly..but avoiding extensive use of aid so far.

I would like to be operated as soon as possible. But, reading on all the post operation results is making me worry. It seems stapedectomy's success depends on the expert hand.

Can anyone suggest me where to go in Massachusetts? I have an appointment with Dr. Steven Rauch in masseyeandear..is he the one?

Many thanks

Last edited by mostafiz; 08-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: Stapedectomy in Massachusetts

I had my surgery at Mass Eye and Ear. In my case it was to repair damage from an accident, not to fix otosclerosis and my result was not good. I did have some improvement to my hearing but still do not hear all that well. Otosclerosis is more straightforward than trying to figure out exactly how much damage I did and what could be repaired.

But, the surgical ward at Mass Eye and Ear was amazing. I was in and out in 6 hours and it was the first time I've been under anesthetic that I did not wake up crying and shaking.

I don't know Dr. Rauch, but you don't get on staff at Mass Eye and Ear if you're bad at what you do. They're all highly trained and skilled in the Otology department there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

haligoniangirl HB User

Hello,
You must be very cautious in selecting a surgeon. He/She needs to be doing the surgery regularly and have done many, many surgeries. I asked many doctors and audiologists and it was the one thing they all said was the most important. I waited 4 years to get in to have my surgery because we have universal healthcare and my ENT does very intricate surgeries like cochlear implants. I had a successful surgery for otosclerosis in Sept. 2010 done by a top surgeon who uses laser and does the stapedotomy procedure. He said stapedectomy is an old surgery now. I have hearing in that ear in the normal range now. Ask many questions about the exact procedure to be used and his/her success rate. Ask about how to manage any dizziness you may experience. I am thrilled with my result but given the risks, I'm not sure if I would do it again. But I am happy that I took the chance when I did. I pray it lasts. I had excellent hearing aids but the clarity of sound I have now is such a joy. You probably are coping well now but you will be amazed at how much you missed when your hearing is restored. Best of luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
(male)

mostafiz HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your replies..I would so love my hearing to be normal again..it hurts when I have to ask my mother to repeat what she just said. It wasn't like this a year back..I don't know why all of a sudden I am hearing less for past 5-6 months or so.

I want to get operated as soon as I can, I want to hear everything. I have read in this forum about Dr. McKenna who is very good in stapedectomy.. I have requested to reschedule my appointment with him. still waiting for reply from eyeandear. From my experience in past few days it seems there are very few surgeons in East coast who does stapedectomy in regular basis..

Thanks Again

Closed Thread