It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
(male)

paul4488 HB User
Clicking noise when swallowing

Day 12 i had a taco lodged in my throat and went on a huge coughing session to dislodge. After dislodge, now everytime i swallow i get i little clicking or crunching or packing type sound in the stapedectomy ear. Do not get this in the non op ear. Concerned i jacked up the prothesis as at day 11 i was finally starting to get some even hearing and feel semi normal.

Currently at day 16, day 21 will be packing removal day.
Dr's office staff does not help, their auto answer always has been and is "ask the Dr, we are programmed to give only this response." -Okay i'm paraphrasing but seriously that is about their answer.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
(male)

paul4488 HB User
Re: Clicking noise when swallowing

Anyone? I can't be the only ear clicker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hi Paul....

How is your hearing? Still good? I am thinking with your packing still in there...dried blood..all that good stuff...when you swallow you may be hearing the packing moving around in there... or possibly your e tube opening?...I can now hear that too...but my hearing is so much better then before the surgery... How is inside your ear...itchy as heck as mine was before packing was removed???

Cindy

Last edited by billcindy1; 08-31-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
(male)

paul4488 HB User

Packing taken out yesterday (Day 20).
Clicking still present every swallow, ENT Surgeon downplayed it and said it's probably the e-tube is swollen.

Hearing is mixed bag at this juncture. Electronically aided sounds (t.v., meetings with microphone and speakers, car radio) blast in at 10Xs as loud and a bit distorted, actually hurts a little. I asked if the prosthesis was acting as an antanae of sorts and he said "No". Like others, car noise and road noise it's as if my op ear is bionic. Very loud and sounds as if coming thru a tunnel. Human voices however are still too low. So hopefully i will pick up a better range of frequencies as the healing continues.

My non op ear seems as if it needs to pop, you know like when it's clogged and you drive to a higher/lower elevation and it "clears". It won't "clear", just seems to be stuck in clogged mode and not hearing as well. ENT thought non op ear was most likely exactly the same, just that now that right op ear is hearing better it makes it seem like left ear is clogged. So i will try to be patient until hearing test a month or two from now will give exact frequency ranges.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

paul4488 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcindy1 View Post
Hi Paul....

How is your hearing? Still good? I am thinking with your packing still in there...dried blood..all that good stuff...when you swallow you may be hearing the packing moving around in there... or possibly your e tube opening?...I can now hear that too...but my hearing is so much better then before the surgery... How is inside your ear...itchy as heck as mine was before packing was removed???

Cindy
Yes i enjoyed scratching the itch with several "finger swipes" that came out with dried blood. Not sure why that was not cleaned out when the packing was taken out but anyways....

Will enjoy a thorough hair washing later today with no need to cover up ear!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
(male)

paul4488 HB User

Day 45 and still clicking on every swallow.
Surgeon said something about blood clot.

Wha?

Closed Thread