It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
(female)

Radsailor HB User
Stapedotomy Aug. 22nd - My Report

Hello all. I am 41 years old with bilateral otosclerosis. I had my right ear operated on August 22nd. The surgery lasted 4 hours. I have had no vomiting, little dizziness and a little nausea. Nothing major though. My biggest side effect is the lost of taste. Wow..........can't taste much at all and I don't really have an appetitie. Maybe I will lost some weight I did even manage to go to work the very next day, but probably over did it Out of habit I blew my nose the night after surgery and my ear did start to bleed a little. Kind of freaked me out. I still have disposable packing in my ear canal and around the prosethsis. I start my antibiotic drops tonight so I am hoping the packing disolves quickly. Still can't hear much out of my operated ear, but I am hopeful.

Question..........How long did your doctor tell you to hold off from working out post surgery?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

Radsailor HB User
Re: Stapedotomy Aug. 22nd - My Report

Forgot to ask..............Has anyone had any problems flying after a stapedectomy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radsailor View Post
Hello all. I am 41 years old with bilateral otosclerosis. I had my right ear operated on August 22nd. The surgery lasted 4 hours. I have had no vomiting, little dizziness and a little nausea. Nothing major though. My biggest side effect is the lost of taste. Wow..........can't taste much at all and I don't really have an appetitie. Maybe I will lost some weight I did even manage to go to work the very next day, but probably over did it Out of habit I blew my nose the night after surgery and my ear did start to bleed a little. Kind of freaked me out. I still have disposable packing in my ear canal and around the prosethsis. I start my antibiotic drops tonight so I am hoping the packing disolves quickly. Still can't hear much out of my operated ear, but I am hopeful.

Question..........How long did your doctor tell you to hold off from working out post surgery?
Hi!I have regained normal hearing in my operated ear after my operation on June 20.I am sorry to be so candid,but please do not listen to a doctor when s/he says just to show his/her competence that you do not need any care etc.
I did not leave my room for 7 days after stapedectomy and did not go out of my home for 15 days and did not blow my nose for more than 30 days and even never after that(means strong blowing),no lifting of weight and did not sneeze for a number of days and even today after 70 days when I sneezed it is with my mouth open.Do not sleep on your operated ear please.
So if possible limit your movements for at least two and preferably 3 weeks.
You will start hearing in a few days from now because after day 10 my hearing became good but it was less than my expectations but it then improved with every passing day.If you want details please read my thread which contains what I have been doing and feeling and how I recovered.
Wish you best of luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
(male)

paul4488 HB User

Radsailor,
Just be forewarned that you can regress.
Mine was Aug 9th.
Day 1 very dizzy and vomiting
Day 2 got better but not by much
Day 3 much much better, released from hospital.
At this point i was like 85% balanced and 15% dizzy. Good enough to do all the little things (or so i thought). You know, light laundry, water with the garden hose (bend over to pick it up etc). While nothing drastic happened....
Day 4 i definitely went backwords. Balance more like 65% with 35% dizzy. Hearing, which had been improving seemed to get plugged up.
Now was this due to my activity? I don't know but in retrospect why take the chance? I would definitely avoid all lifting, bending over.
Day 5 6 7 i was kind of meh okay but not that good.
Day 9 started feeling better again, and ears seemed to have popped (in a good way) and i was hearing okay. So i resumed light activity again and went out and about (playing cards for hours which meant bending the head repeatedly.
Day 10 had a tough time getting some food down and had to cough and hack it up. Sent my hearing backwords and then i got a clicking noise in op ear everytime i swallowed.

Day 20 today i had my packing taken out and am feeling better then i have in a while. Also hearing seems to be a bit more balanced, altho it still feels like a tunnel at times and like others i hear road noise, tv, radio and other stuff much too loudly and sometimes shrilly (tv). Clicking when swallowing persists but surgeon said don't worry, probably eustacian tube swelling.

So this 3rd time I've started feeling better and this time I am NOT going to overdue it at all. So just a cautionary piece to you to enjoy you recovery going so well but keep in mind progress can go backwards so eliminate all you can until you're well on your way is my view.

Just got clearance today for some exercise but I'm gonna try to just do very light exercise like the stationary bike. Next target date is 3 weeks from now which i think will be the hearing test.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hi Radsailor...

I had my stapedectomy on June 1st. This was a revision from the Feb. surgery...My presthesis had popped out of position from scar tissue and an artery.. I was dealing with dizziness after that first surgery.

Second surgery.....I was dealing was no balance and lots of dizziness the first 3 or 4 days post surgery..could not walk without help thats for sure. Stayed on the couch those days and I also had no appetite at all..Had an amplified sound in my head if i spoke or even brushed my teeth..painful

My doctor took out the packing on day 10 and I was hearing great...I started hearing thru the packing on day 4 or 5 I believe..It clogged up 2 days later and 2 days after that it returned.... I was told on day 10 only walking...no exercising at all...and to take it easy...rest when I was able to. I went back to work 1 week after surgery... He told me that the next five weeks were so important as healing was taking place. All I needed to hear...I was not doing anything. I did continue the walking daily but did not push myself. I found that if I started to do to much I would get a pulsing in my ear...so i stopped. I was limiting myself to only 15 - 20 mins. My doctor just told me to use common sense and I felt it was only 5 weeks and I was not taking any chances. I actually brought my son with my food shopping for lifting the bags first couple of weeks after...I was not going to lift anything.

after the five weeks I had my hearing test and follow up and at that time my doctor gave me the clearance to get back into my normal but to still not do to much. I am a workout freak...daily...love it..and he had said that was fine...get back into slow...

I am now 3 months post op and I have just started back into my weights at gym..Not 100 lb weight...but 15 lbs LOL Don t want anyone to think I was that much of a workout freak... I can say that sometimes I still deal with a off balance issue..but it is only going to get better... My doctor also gave me clearance to fly..

I have noticed that now 3 months post surgery my hearing is still getting better...I believe that I am focusing so much better on the sound. I was and still at sometimes have an issue with back noise..if the a c is on I can t seem to stop listening to that...Our brain is still relearning thats for sure. but it has got better over time.

So my advice would be....take it easy...you have been thru so much and healing is still going on. I to this day know that I am still healing and it is something that takes time. I am going in for my other ear with only 30% hearing in Feb. I am excited to have hearing in both ears...something I have not had for about 17 years...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

Radsailor HB User

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Trust me.......when I blew my nose it was just an instinct and I didn't even think about it. I knew immediately after I had done it that I shouldn't have. The following day all I did was lay around the house (as hard as that was). I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and I haven't been picking them up at all. I have been taking it easy. My job isn't a phyisical one so computer and desk work don't bother me. I started the drops last night so hopefully I will see some improvement once the packing starts to dissolve.

My doctor told me no flying for 3 months which is definitely doable. I have a trip planned for Europe next April so I should be healed by then. I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced any problems flying after the procedure? Just scared that the prosthesis is going to shift.

Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

Radsailor HB User

Thanks everyone! I am on day 16 now and just yesterday I noticed very different sounds. Things seem louder, but muffled. I heard sounds in my car yesterday that I have never heard. Also heard my ceiling fan making noise. I hope that is a sign of recovery Still on antibiotic drops until the end of September.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Congratulations!
Yes these are signs of recovery and now with every passing day your hearing will keep improving but be careful with whatever you have been asked not to do.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
(female)

Radsailor HB User

I promise to listen to my doctor I surely don't want to screw anything up or any progress that I am having. Thanks for the encouragement. Patience is not my best trait

Closed Thread