It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

kt85 HB User
Stapedectomy questions

Hi all,

I am a 26 year old female in Melbourne, Australia, who was diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears a few months ago. My hearing loss is about 35%. I know what my options are, and I'm interested in getting the stapedectomy surgery done.

However, the relatively high failure rate (1-2%) is putting me off, and I've read a few stories of unsuccessful stories on this forum that scare me.

I am wondering what causes a stapedectomy failure. Will my being young and healthy decrease the chance of failure? Or does failure occur completely randomly, regardless of how healthy a person is?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
(male)

Ashton11 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt85 View Post
Hi all,

I am a 26 year old female in Melbourne, Australia, who was diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears a few months ago. My hearing loss is about 35%. I know what my options are, and I'm interested in getting the stapedectomy surgery done.

However, the relatively high failure rate (1-2%) is putting me off, and I've read a few stories of unsuccessful stories on this forum that scare me.

I am wondering what causes a stapedectomy failure. Will my being young and healthy decrease the chance of failure? Or does failure occur completely randomly, regardless of how healthy a person is?

Thanks in advance.
IMO The skill of the surgeon and the number he or she has done total and recently is the main factor. Also the type of prosthesis is a factor IMO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
(female)

TheresaN HB User

Hi all,

I'm set up to get a stapedectomy in my right ear in 3 weeks. I have bilateral otosclerosis and bilateral meniere's disease.

To all that had the stapedectomy surgery....did it make your tinnitus go away? get louder or lower? or did it give you tinnitus that you didn't have prior to surgery?

I have been suffering with tinnitus for many years and would love for it to be gone in one ear at least.

Thanks for responding

Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I have had stapedectomies in both my ears.... My first was back in 1992 in my right ear I had the same hearing loss in both ears but due to my very young children 1 and 4 and also my month for recovery back then I decided not to get my other ear done and after my surgery my hearing was incredible and I was able to function with only one ear fine.....

Dec. 2010 I lost my hearing in that ear (R) due to my incus eroding... I was left with not much hearing at all with my left ear not working either (under 30% hearing) and had to use a hearing aid to function...Feb. I had a revision in that same ear (R) and did not get the results my doctor had hoped for..Due to scar tissue and also a rear artery that ran thru that area my prothesis slipped out of place..my doctor being stubborn as he is went back in to make it right in June and that he did.. I decided to have surgery in my left ear this past Feb. It had under 30% hearing in it. I had excellent results and now able to hear out of both of my ears. My recovery was not bad at all...I took it soo easy..rested and followed his directions...1992 recovery was a month for me..now it was 1 week..and really only down for about 3 days with the dizziness and I didn t have that with all of the surgeries..so ea one was different for me.

TheresaN.. I also had tinnitus and with my hearing being so good after the surgeries I do not hear much ringing at all... I had a dial tone so to say in my ear..that is also gone...

KT85..,...I honestly feel that each person is different...also..It really does depend on the doctor for a successful surgery. Make sure that you do your research and get someone that has lots of experience with this surgery. If you were in Rhode Island I would recommend my Dr. highly to you... It is also so important to follow directions after your surgery. I did nothing for the first week..no sniffing..no blowing of my nose...sneezing with my mouth open..no straining at all..and lots of rest... I can honestly say this...I am so happy that I did this...I love being able to lay in bed on any side and hear....My hearing is so good that 3 1/2 months post surgery I am still putting a cotton ball in my ear when I blow dry my hair...sounds are still alittle loud but getting better and I am so not complaining at all...love it..

If you have any questions at all..please do not hesitate to ask...I have been down this road several times...have experienced it all...

Good luck!

Cindy

Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Hi, kt85
I was the same before my surgery, scared about failure of the operation and not being able to hear. But being 35, I didn't like the idea of hearing aids and i did try it but the sound quality was not natural at all. so I went ahead with the surgery 6 weeks ago and I m glad I had my surgery done. If u were in Sydney, I would recommend my surgeon to you. The failure rate is less with experience drs, I agree with Cindy, do your research.
Good luck!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
(female)

midsophie HB User

I think as well as the surgeon it does also depend on your history and any other possible problems to do with the ear. I'm 19 years old and had a stapedectomy in December. I have had problems with my ears since, well I was born. Before the stapedectomy I had moderate hearing loss in my right ear, and minor in my left. Five months post surgery I now have complete loss in my right ear (the one I had the surgery one done on). I have just had bad complications that also seems neurological. That being said, we think that there is another problem besides osteosclerosis and the surgery really pushed my right ear over the edge. If you are really worried about it, the only thing I could suggest is getting an MRI/CT to see if there are any other problems.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
(male)

mspgh HB User

I had pulsatile tinnitus and a wooshing sound (kinda like holding a seashell to your ear) in my right before I had a stapedectomy, but no noticeable tinnitus in my left ear (which was the better of the two). I had a successful stapedectomy about four months ago on my right ear and now I don't really have any noticeable tinnitus in that ear.

However, I now have the same kind of tinnitus that I used to have in my right ear, in my left ear! I think this is due to the brain just making up for all the missing sound thats coming through one side and not the other. My right ear is probably about -25db at the worst frequencies, so the loss is still mild on that side, but my operated ear is noticeably better.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
(male)

tinchito HB User

Hi kt85
I had my left ear done one month ago. I really don´t know if the age affects on the stapedectomy result. I only can tell you that I had the same fear you have about the 1 or 2% but I made my mind up and now I soooooo happy to hear much much better !!!!! Consult as many doctors as you can, inform yourself, but try to think positive and operate : you have a lot to win !!!
Good luck !!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
(male)

soecc HB User

Hi kt.
From my experience, i wouldn't advise to take the surgery with just 35% hearing loss. It's true that you have a lot to win, but also you can lose even more if the operation failes. If your hearing goes worse, than you should take the operation and pray for good results. I've done the operation while i had problems in only one ear and now i wish i had never done it. You can see that there are so many good results but there are also many bad results. If i could turn back time, i would postpone the operation as long as i can, till there is nothing else to be done.
Please don't be frightened, i'm just giving you my opinion and my case scenario, which is one of the worse.

Closed Thread