It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
(female)

SuSo HB User
Re: sound quality after stapedectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StapeUK View Post
Just wanted to post a follow up. It's been four months since the removal of my packing and it's still perfect! The quality is still great with no noticeable degradation or distortion.
So happy for you! I'm glad to hear there are people with good outcomes!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
(female)

lamaria1 HB User

I had stapedectomy approximately 6 years ago, both ears have been done. Before the surgery, I was wearing hearing aids in both ears with hardly any hearing. Had to turn hearing aids up almost to the point of hearing it whistle before I could hear. Now, I can hear very, very well. My kids say I have bionic ears. The surgery worked. However, currently, I am having some ear pain in my right ear. Will schedule an appointment with the Dr. to see what is going on. But I'm blessed to be hearing without hearing aids. LMB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Hello everyone, I am new here. I am so pleased that this board exists.I started to have hearing loss 10 years ago on my left side and gradually deteriorating after giving birth to my first child. After giving birth to my Second one my right hearing dropped very quickly. I went to a different doctor and after few test , I have been told I have otosclerosis. I keep trying to get used to hearing aids but I am getting really depressed at the moment since the setting never seams right. I wouldn't mind wearing them since they are very discrete but I keep going to my audiologist for adjustment but it seems impossible to get it right. I am considering stapedoctomy but I am terrified of it. Some of you had a very successful result and some other still dealing with the healing process. I want to be strong for my little ones and I really want to take the right decision. Does anyone regret to have the stapedoctomy done?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS4 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new here. I am so pleased that this board exists.I started to have hearing loss 10 years ago on my left side and gradually deteriorating after giving birth to my first child. After giving birth to my Second one my right hearing dropped very quickly. I went to a different doctor and after few test , I have been told I have otosclerosis. I keep trying to get used to hearing aids but I am getting really depressed at the moment since the setting never seams right. I wouldn't mind wearing them since they are very discrete but I keep going to my audiologist for adjustment but it seems impossible to get it right. I am considering stapedoctomy but I am terrified of it. Some of you had a very successful result and some other still dealing with the healing process. I want to be strong for my little ones and I really want to take the right decision. Does anyone regret to have the stapedoctomy done?
Please do not go for stapedectomy because it is quite possible that like most of people here on these boards,initial success may prove very short-lived and for the rest of your life, you may not be able to hear even with a hearing aid.So please do not try this dangerous procedure because I cannot hear anything at all from the operated ear after one a half years. Please keep using hearing aids as before stapedectomy I was using a CIC and was leading almost a normal life but stapedectomy made life very very difficult for me.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #20
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine2011 View Post
Please do not go for stapedectomy because it is quite possible that like most of people here on these boards,initial success may prove very short-lived and for the rest of your life, you may not be able to hear even with a hearing aid.So please do not try this dangerous procedure because I cannot hear anything at all from the operated ear after one a half years. Please keep using hearing aids as before stapedectomy I was using a CIC and was leading almost a normal life but stapedectomy made life very very difficult for me.
Thank you for your quick response Sanguine, I am sorry for you....have you tried to go to a different doctor to check if there is anything else possible to do? May I ask you how felt about your hearing aids, were you happy with them?where did you have your surgery ? Thank you

Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaria1 View Post
I had stapedectomy approximately 6 years ago, both ears have been done. Before the surgery, I was wearing hearing aids in both ears with hardly any hearing. Had to turn hearing aids up almost to the point of hearing it whistle before I could hear. Now, I can hear very, very well. My kids say I have bionic ears. The surgery worked. However, currently, I am having some ear pain in my right ear. Will schedule an appointment with the Dr. to see what is going on. But I'm blessed to be hearing without hearing aids. LMB
Hi lamaria, I am new here and I saw your post....how is your right ear now? I hope everything is back to normal! Take care

Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StapeUK View Post
Just wanted to post a follow up. It's been four months since the removal of my packing and it's still perfect! The quality is still great with no noticeable degradation or distortion.
Hi stapeuk, I am pleased for you!i am new here and i am considering to have the surgery but i am a bit scared! i am so relived I have found this health board. may I ask you were did you have your surgery in London? Thank you

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
(male)

Sanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB UserSanguine2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS4 View Post
Thank you for your quick response Sanguine, I am sorry for you....have you tried to go to a different doctor to check if there is anything else possible to do? May I ask you how felt about your hearing aids, were you happy with them?where did you have your surgery ? Thank you
I had my surgery at Manchester and the doctor had a Phd degree and was the head of deptt.He claimed to have performed hundreds of surgeries and I had checked that he was certainly a senior doctor.
I was certainly not very happy with my hearing aids.Though I had the best digital hearing aid but even then I thought that perhaps stapedectomy would enable me to hear in a natural way.But now I repent my decision because now with just one ear I find that life has become more difficult.I am certain that hearing aids and ears even with just a bit of hearing are much better than operated ears.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine2011 View Post
I had my surgery at Manchester and the doctor had a Phd degree and was the head of deptt.He claimed to have performed hundreds of surgeries and I had checked that he was certainly a senior doctor.
I was certainly not very happy with my hearing aids.Though I had the best digital hearing aid but even then I thought that perhaps stapedectomy would enable me to hear in a natural way.But now I repent my decision because now with just one ear I find that life has become more difficult.I am certain that hearing aids and ears even with just a bit of hearing are much better than operated ears.
Thank you very much for your response, you have been very helpful.
Please keep strong.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

I had the procedure about 6 weeks ago and there has been no improvement in my hearing at all. I have never used hearing aids, so I cant comment on that. I can say that during the last 6 weeks, there has definitely been an evolution in my hearing, it went from being completely distorted, to muffled, to kinda normal, to almost as it was before surgery. Maybe with time my hearing will continue to improve, but for now, the surgery was unsuccessful.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Hi Jaretr1, thank you for your message, please keep positive. It may still in the process of healing. Please keep us updated with your progress.
Take care

Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

One thing that concerns me about my procedure is my ear still feels clogged just as it did right after the surgery. Sounds are amplified inside my body (similar to when you get a cold and your sinuses and ears are clogged) but my hearing is barely back to normal. I did not experience this pre surgery (except during the times I got a cold). Has anyone else had this post surgery effect? If so, did it go away? My surgeon has no idea why my hearing is not better, he felt the surgery went as planned.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

Things have gotten strange. Earlier this week I had some sinus congestion and I blew my nose. I had a loud pop in my right ear and all of a sudden a rush of sound came in. Its as if this is all of a sudden the result I should have had post surgery. I can definitely tell the hearing is now louder in my right ear than my left, although I am not sure if its practically better if that makes sense. The sound seems really sharp and a little distorted, but I am definitely hearing things I wasnt hearing since the surgery. I rescheduled another hearing test for a few weeks. This has been a truly bizaar experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
(female)

EBS4 HB User

Hi Jaretr1, i am pleased things are moving on the wright direction! Just keep being positive. It must be very strange since you didn't hear anything from a long time. Good luck with your hearing test....and keep us updated please!
Take care

Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
(male)

rhythm2013 HB User

Hi Sanguine2011.. how things with ya now ? I wonder your extreme cautious could not cope up with normal life ? In one of your post you said, not even carrying groceries shopping ... hope and wish u get well soon.

Closed Thread