It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

bvv HB User
Dizziness not going away

Hi. I had stapedotomy on Oct 5th, week 3+ and I am still dizzy. I was very dizzy after surgery and required hospitalization for 2 additional days and came home on day 4. Hearing seemed improved (right ear, max. conductive hearing loss, I was told) when I got home. Everything sounded loud and was able to hear useless things like a/c, fridge running. Dizziness persisted,antivert was making me drowsy. So stopped it after 5 days. Was home 2 weeks, started driving a little after 2 weeks, still dizzy and nauseous most of the time, met doctor 2 weeks after surgery, she removed packing and now my hearing is not any better. I test switching phones from one ear to another and it is not different from pre-surgery days. Is it possible my prosthesis is out and how does one find out and what about persisting dizziness? My doctor prescribed xanax, 3 times a day and I take at least 2 or 3 a day and I am worried I'll get addicted to it. Also it helps only for a short duration, don't know if it's because it makes me slightly drowsy. She gave me to go back to work from week 3, so today is 3rd day at my work and boy, it's been rough! What should I do? My hearing test and post-op followup with doctor is scheduled for nov 16th.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Dizziness not going away

Hello bvv....

Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the dizziness right now. I had my surgery on June 3rd..I did have the dizziness for about 4-5 days where I needed help walking to the bathroom very slowly...things did seem to calm down after that. I was getting it here and there for a little bit after that but it seemed like the two month mark for me things were getting back to normal. Is your hearing any better then before the surgery at all and do you know what percentage of hearing you had? My operated ear had 50% my other ear has about 30%. I had to wear a hearing aid in the un-operated ear to function. This surgery was a revision, I had one in Feb that did not give results we had hoped for...I also was dealing with the dizziness then but mostly when I was laying down if I turned my head to the operated ear side I would get a very weird zinging feeling along with the dizziness on that side so looking to the right I did not do. I was hearing alittle more then before that surgery but because of my complications my doctor felt there was a problem with the placement of the presthesis he put in.I do remember him taking an xray to see if anything could be seen with the placement but when I went for my visit the image was not in but he still said he was pretty sure it was not positioned correctly. After 2nd surgery he said that due to scar tissue and an artery that some people have it had pushed the presthesis out of place. To be honest with you I always thought that if it was out of place you would not hear anything..but that is not so..I was hearing about 50%

I was taking an anti dizziness med before I had to take it at bedtime.. It was a one a day med he had prescribed..

I hope that things start to improve for you....

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

sharonmac1 HB User
Re: Dizziness not going away

I have had two stapedectomies and the post surgery care is very precise. You cannot lower your head (i.e bend the head down which will bring blood into the surgical area) sleep sitting up (using 3 big pillows or shams) for 6 weeks. My surgery was very successful I am wondering if you were too active. My doctor scared me to death, by telling me the story about his patient who felt so well when he got home from the hospital laid down on a car creeper to change the oil in his car. It screwed up the surgery. he was deaf again. If blood gets into the area after surgery it can ruin the result. Possibly sleep with your head elevated for an extended period of time. Like a month...It's not that uncomfortable. I still sleep with 2 pillows. Baby yourself... Don't lift heavy objects either.

Closed Thread