It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
(male)

Stuart501 HB User
Unanswered questions about otosclerosis

Hi everyone,

Really glad that I found this place! I was diagnosed (by an audiologist) as probably having otosclerosis. Iím fortunate, in that my hearing loss is so far mild and only obvious in one ear. Unfortunately, the tinnitus in that ear really stepped up this year (part of the reason for going to the audiologist), so itís still annoying.

The audiologist didnít really act worried about my situation and told me that I could go to an ENT, but that the only options I have are stapes surgery or hearing aids.

Iíve been doing a lot of reading and scanning of articles and forums. I have a few questions I havenít seen answered yet, and Iím hoping people here might have some idea.

Is it better to have a stapedectomy earlier on in the course of the disease? Does removing the stapes help to prevent nerve damage in the inner ear?

Does Fluorical help? Iíve seen anecdotal evidence that it does, but is it still recommended by ENTs and others as helping to slow down the disease? Does anyone here have firsthand experience with it?

Thanks!

Stuart

Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
(female)

haligoniangirl HB User
Re: Unanswered questions about otosclerosis

Find an ENT that does a lot of this surgery to ask those questions. Stapedectomy/stapedotomy surgery has risks and with your mild hearing loss I would never do it. I don't think the surgery prevents nerve damage and in fact total hearing loss is one of the risks of the surgery. I lived with hearing loss for almost 40 years before I opted to have the surgery. Mine was successful and it is wonderful to hear well again but I'm not sure I would ever do it again given the risks. Hearing aids are very advanced now, and are a better choice for you when your loss is advanced enough to interfere with your life. An ENT can also offer advice with the tinnitus. Stapedotomy is the more modern surgery and do a lot of research before selecting a surgeon. It is delicate surgery and the dr. sould be doing it often to be good at it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread