It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

Ashton11 HB User
Stapedectomy Tips

Hi All

I had a Stapedectomy on my left ear May 4, 2011 and on my right ear October 5, 2011. I am doing great. I have some tips I would like to share.

First one is about a pillow. Having my Stapedectomies close together I needed a solution to lay on my operated ear and be comfortable and not worry about it. Here is what I did.

Purchased a quality medium density pillow, opened the end and removed some of the packing from the middle. Sewed the end up and sewed two buttons, one on the front and one on the back in the middle where the packing was removed, pulling them together. This makes a nice indention for the ear and supports the head around it. Worked like a charm for me and I still use it.

If you have any other tips about Stapedectomies, this is a good place to post them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
(male)

Ashton11 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton11 View Post
Hi All

I had a Stapedectomy on my left ear May 4, 2011 and on my right ear October 5, 2011. I am doing great. I have some tips I would like to share.

First one is about a pillow. Having my Stapedectomies close together I needed a solution to lay on my operated ear and be comfortable and not worry about it. Here is what I did.

Purchased a quality medium density pillow, opened the end and removed some of the packing from the middle. Sewed the end up and sewed two buttons, one on the front and one on the back in the middle where the packing was removed, pulling them together. This makes a nice indention for the ear and supports the head around it. Worked like a charm for me and I still use it.

If you have any other tips about Stapedectomies, this is a good place to post them.
Another is write down a list of questions on a piece of hard paper that you want the surgeon to answer. Give it to your husband or wife before you go into surgery and have them give it to the surgeon after the operation to fill out. The best time to get the info.

Read up on DVT and practice the preventive measures. One thing I did was extend my foot back and forth, getting up and walking ever so often. I used a pillow to elevate my legs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
(male)

mspgh HB User

thanks.

just over two weeks before I have my right stapedectomy at the Lippy Clinic. I will make sure I follow your advice

Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Having my left ear done next Friday... This will be amazing as I have not heard out of both of my ears forever..my unoperated ear has under 30%. I had a revision done last year in my right as it stopped working end of Dec. because my incus eroded My first stapedectomy was done in 1992 on right ear. I have functioned with only having one ear for so very long.. saying what was that if you are on my bad side seems normal to me. I will be able to enjoy surround sound and not have to walk on a certain side so I can pick up what you are saying clearly.. I also know that when something is coming from behind me it always seems like on my right... so this is will totally different to say the least and I am ready.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

Ashton11 HB User

Good luck you two........... "patience" and take care, after.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Thanks Aston...

I also did the pillow trick but for myself I used three pillows...not sure why that many but it seemed to work for me. I did one on left right and under head.... I can truly say that laying on my operated earwas very uncomfortable thats for sure...I always knew when I would do it...immediately woke up with the pulsing and awful pressure..but it did all seem to go away and back to normal I would say somewhere between 8 - 12 weeks... I noticed that was when things started to change for me.. My balance started to return..somewhat I have always been that girl...I also found that if I walked at night...we are seasonal campers...I just couldn t focus enough to walk straight..I looked like I had to many cocktails around the fire and mine consisted of coffee LOL... But all worth it !!

Cindy
good luck mspgh on your upcoming stapedectomy.....

Closed Thread