It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
(male)

hellouser HB User
Unhappy Ringing in Head

A month ago I got sick from my little sister, had a cold, stuffy nose and throat, some coughing as well. My ears would also pop, crack and I noticed a feeling of fluid draining out of one ear (left ear if I can recall). A few days later, right out of the blue I noticed a ringing in my head, not ears though. A somewhat loud high frequency sound; 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' and its been stuck in my head since. I wasn't exposed to any loud noise either (was sitting at my desk watching a movie at a normal volume).

I visited my doctor a few days later and described my symptoms and told him that my sinus is very congested. I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year, 2011, and my scans showed that I had a lot of mucous buildup in my sinus. I was asked if I had trouble breathing as sugery could help. I never had 'trouble' breathing but I pretty much always have a yearly cold and breathing through my nose has never exactly been perfect. After telling my doctor this, he prescribed me Nasonex for my recent cold as he said I was still showing some symptoms of being sick. He said it was most likely due to excess mucous going into my eustachian tubes which causes the ringing (I asked if that could have been the case, and he did agree it was most likely due to excess mucous). He also mentioned to exercise the valsalva maneuver.

I used Nasonex twice daily, one spray in each nostrel (once at the beginning of the day, once before bedtime). A few days passed and the ringing seemed to drastically improve, so much so that most days I went about without noticing it at all and not having it affect my day to day activities (it was still there, but very faint).

Fast forward a couple weeks; I got pelvic and groin pains to which I saw my doctor again on a tuesday and he said to use Advil to relieve the pain and it would pass within time. I took 2 pill of Advil a day (400mg per pill) for 7 days. I felt much better after about 5 days. The following Sunday, my ringing in my ears suddenly increased (February 4th 2012). The cracking and popping when swallowing is still there as is the ringing (or the high pitched sound). It seems as the ringing has slightly decreased since its sudden increase, and it is always significantly quieter or almost non-existent in the morning. Showers seem to mask the sound and helps for half 15 or so minutes.

However, my ears now hurt a little, I'm experiencing some aches and sharp pains every now and then in both ears.

My doctor is away on vacation and won't be back until Monday February 13th, 2012 (today is Friday).

So, that all said, I have a few questions;

1) Could there be a different cause of the ringing in my ears?
2) Does the ringing last forever or can it subside over the coming months?
3) Does anyone have any suggestion for remedies?

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
(male)

dslam HB User
Re: Ringing in Head

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have pretty much the same problem going on now.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
(male)

hellouser HB User
Re: Ringing in Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslam View Post
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have pretty much the same problem going on now.
I still don't know what it may be. However, I suspect it has something to do with Minoxidil. I've been losing my hair since and applying it on my scalp to stimulate hair growth. I had a bad shed a week ago and have been shedding a lot for the past month so I got off of it not too long ago. I noticed my ringing has reduced dramatically though its still there. Its very... *very* faint now, so much so that it doesn't bother me at all and can't hear throughout the day and now only when I'm in bed or in very quiet areas and even then I have to remind myself about it.

I am still hopeful that Microtransponder releases a treatment for it, theyve made some serious gains in the development of a treatment. As well, Dr Martine Hamann from the University of Leicester has some made some great discoveries as well and I'm hoping she too can develop a pill to reduce or eliminate tinnitus for sufferers. It is quite debilitating... (though I have to admit, my hairloss has affected me much worse).

Reply Reply