It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
(female)

hcalton HB User
Re: Failed Stapedectomy

I'll ask my doctor his opinion regarding the tinnitus when I see him this afternoon. Did this commence after your surgery?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
(female)

della7200 HB User

I had tinnitus before as a result of otosclerosis but it is much more severe now on the side that I have lost all hearing. Thanks! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
(female)

hcalton HB User

Sorry to be a pain, I just have one other question. When you had your stapendectomy, did your doctor use a prosthesis or did he use drafted bone material.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
(male)

tinnitim HB User

Dear madammyers, Wow , terrible things have been done to you and I am sorry for your present dilema. I would offer these answers to your questions. I understand and revision stapedectomy has less than a 20 % chance of effectiveness unless it is to only reposition the apperatus. I had 2 stapedectomies on the same ear and now live my life with a high pitched noise- like a leaf blower is strapped on my back. The noise got worse as the surgeries were each performmed. I would NOT have revision surgery myself -thank you. Please check into social media sites which this thread will not let me mention by name and search for tinnitus, there are others out there . It could be an empowering search for you

you have got to get outside- if you dont wanna face alot of people dont go to the mall - but do not become a prisoner in your own home. I also believe the world is more afraid of me than I am of them. It helps. good luck, I cannot imagine the dizziness you experience. If I stand up to fast I get dizzy but that is not a big problem. Do you need a cane to be safe? T

Last edited by tinnitim; 08-02-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
(male)

tinnitim HB User

Hey, try not to be too quick. I have had surgeries on both ear and while I do have trouble with one the other is great. If it has only been a week. Chill , if you can and enjoy the summer. You might want to start a walking program as I am sure you will not be working out any time soon. GOOD LUCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcalton View Post
I was born with Congenital Conductive hearing loss, with about 10-15% hearing in my right ear and about 25-30 in my left. As a result, 30 years later, Dr. Howard Francis at Johns Hopkins of Baltimore, MD performed a stapedectomy last Friday in my right ear, almost a week ago. The procedure went rather well, everyone was so kind and thorough. They do everything by the book there, I had four medical professionals ask me the same questions. The doctor even gave me a high five after the procedure, how awesome is that!

One Week Later:
It's been a rough week, I've been experiencing profound dizziness, throbbing while sleeping, and excessive bleeding/discharge. I was told that the post surgical symptoms, as I had mentioned, were normal. The first several days I felt as though I was talking in a box and any thumping or sudden noises were overwhelmingly loud. It feels like there are plugs in my ears, I'm hopeful that's just the packing. I'm doing my best to take it easy, not an easy thing for me to do, considering I'm used to working out several hours a day five days a week. I'll post an update on my progress next week.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
(male)

tinnitim HB User

I believe it was a piece of titanium

Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
(male)

tinnitim HB User

I can only saw my perception of it is greater. I had a annoying, sometimes present buzz, but it was more pulsatile. I had a stapedectomy and now hear great in that ear. I wonder if I just hear it better after the surgery. Good luck at the doctor

Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
(female)

della7200 HB User

I had a prosthesis, (titanium) I think. I wonder how your appointment went....

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
(female)

madammyers HB User

It has been a year since my surgery. Today, I still have the fullness in my head as if I have constant sinus infection. If I move to fast my world spins. When I drive for more than 20 minutes my head becomes light as if I had been drinking. I still can't recognize where speech is coming from when spoken to. I can't walk up or down stairs with out having to hold onto something..trust me I've fallen down the last step at my home three times now. People get angry when they have to repeat themselves over and over again. That's even with a hearing aid in my left ear. Life for me has changed dramatically over the past year. I used to be an outgoing person who loved to be with others. Now, I prefer to be alone in my quiet world. It's embarrassing when you realize you were speaking on a discussion that had nothing to do with the topic or walking into walls or display shelves at your local WalMart. Heck I can't even have a conversation on my cell phone because I can't hear the person all that well on the other end. A surgery that was supposed to change my life for the better has created a nightmare for me. A nightmare that I will never wake up from. I have learned that sometimes you just leave well enough alone and don't get it fixed until it totally breaks down. NO more surgeries for me unless it's life threatening.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
(male)

Usual Suspect HB User

Hello,

I would definetley get a second opion. It will at least give you peace of mind.

Last edited by Usual Suspect; 12-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
(female)

madammyers HB User

It has been a year since I've been released from my doctors care. I still have ringing in the ears and it can keep me awake at night. I try focusing my mind on other things but I can't get past the darn crickets. As for the dizziness it is always there. Can't tell you how many times I've fallen down my stairs or up my stairs. I can't drive for long periods of time because of the vibration of the car makes my head spin. I can't have the windows down in the car or the force of the air against my ear causes massive dizziness. Trying to adjust my life however, it's hard. I take elevators when all possible and day's my head fills so full I just don't even attempt going out. Do I have regrets after the surgery? Most certainly but I must learn to adapt and hope people accept my apologies when I accidentally bump into them while walking.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

double post

Last edited by Marie 67; 10-17-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: double post

Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

I have read your story and I am so sorry this has happened to you. I'm having ear issues with balance as well. I was also wondering if I had any nerve damage because this came on with an ear infection and I can relate to exactly what you are saying about watching tv and moving your head. I noticed that you are also in Ohio. What city are you in? Do you mind if I ask who the doctor was that did your surgery? What university hospital did you go to? I've read that the success of these operations depend largely on the experience of the surgeon. Did this surgeon specialize in otosclerosis surgery? Is there a possibility that you would attempt the operation again with a different surgeon? Is that medically even possible?

Reply Reply