It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
Permanent dry mouth post-stap.

I had a very successful stapedectomy on my left ear in April 2011. I now have normal hearing for my age in that ear (up from a moderate hearing loss) and do not need to wear a hearing aid. I am scheduled to have the same doctor perform a stapedectomy in my right ear this April. I have recently developed reduced saliva production(dry mouth) to the point where I have to use dry mouth sprays during the day and a gel at night. Has anybody developed this problem after a stapedectomy? I'm not talking about a temporary dry mouth, but one that develops in the mouths after the operation? Thanks for any help. I am going to contact the surgeon, but as many of you know, they don't like to discuss possible complications with patients.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Permanent dry mouth post-stap.

Hello Fantine.

Glad to hear that your last surgery was a success!!! and good luck on your upcoming surgery...!!

I just had my stapedectomy in my left ear and now can say I am the proud own of two working ears. my surgery for this unoperated ear was Feb 17th...so I am 2 weeks post. Doing very well...taking it sooo slow and easy too...but I will say...this surgery was totally different then the two I had in my other ear last year...this one seems like my recovery is not to bad at all..actually going to check out the gym today and do some very slow walking on the threadmill...and I do mean slow..but it will be nice to get back to my normal activities..but I will not take any unnecessary risks...my dr did say I could walk...even briskly..but I will just take it as a normal walk...

I do remember after each and every surgery having this dry mouth..and the taste issue..I was told when they put the anti nausea sticker on my neck it would happen..This time the only thing that seems different is the way my tongue feels..one side is some what like the feeling you get when you go to the dentist and they numb you..or even if you burn your tongue...so a guess sort of numb. It does seem to be getting alittle better..the dry mouth was alot worse this time..actually had to go out and get dry mouth rinse... I have did not have it develop after several months..but right after surgery....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

SuSo HB User

Glad it went well!! just checking the board for the stape people from last summer. Also, I hope "Sanguine11" is hearing loud and clear.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

How are you doing SuSo????

Cindy

Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
(female)

How are you doing SuSo????

Cindy

Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
(female)

SuSo HB User

I am doing well! I don't currently have a need for perfect hearing as I am not working. Life is good and my husband is retiring in 2 weeks. Take it easy and be patient with your newly operated ear! Doris

Closed Thread