It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

peofe HB User
Unhappy Stapedectomy itchy ear canal

Hi all!

I had my stapedectomy 4 days ago on 3/14 and really feel like I am doing well... very little dizziness or pain. Right now the thing that is driving me crazy is itching way down deep in my ear (I imagine underneath the packing). Does anyone have a suggestion for relieving this? I know I can't rub it, and have tried to see if there are any accupressure points that might resolve it, but couldn't find that information. I've even tried biting my finger and concentrating on how much that hurts. I do not recommend it.

My packing is not due to be removed until 4/4 (3 weeks post op), so I have a long time to endure this situation.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm enjoying reading all your experiences.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy itchy ear canal

Hi Peofe

I had my stapedectomy on 8th March and had most of the packing removed last Thursday. I still have some gauze in my ear and tape over my ear and don't know when the surgeon is planning on removing that. I have an appointment on Friday when I hope he will do.

I also have itchiness now and again. Luckily it isn't there all the time. I woke up one night in the first week when it was so bad I couldn't sleep. I took some ibuprofen and that helped.

When I get itchiness I tend to scratch the tape over my ear. It doesn't help that much but I can hear the scratching and it reminds me of the improvement in my hearing and helps me put up with the annoyance.

Billcindy1 has been replying to my posts. She has had a stapedectomy, a revision stapedectomy and a new stapedectomy on her other ear quite recently. It has been great to be able to exchange posts with someone else who has had so much experience. She keeps on telling me that things will improve and that most of the negative things I experience are only temporary. The vast majority of people who have this operation have good outcomes so you have to remain positive and look forward to future improvements.

Clare

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki93:
peofe (03-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki93 For This Useful Post:
peofe (03-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
(male)

peofe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCE View Post
Hi Peofe

When I get itchiness I tend to scratch the tape over my ear. It doesn't help that much but I can hear the scratching and it reminds me of the improvement in my hearing and helps me put up with the annoyance.

Clare
You are a GENIUS! Nothing previously has worked for me, but every time this afternoon that my ear canal began to itch, I gently scratched the tape holding my cotton ball on my ear, either in front of or behind the cotton ball, and voila! IT WORKS!!!

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to suggest it to me!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Peofe...

I so remember the itchiness and still to this day have it now and then ... I will put a cotton ball in my canal just so I don t poke my finger in there and cause trouble.. I do know if I would chew or talk my goodness it was itchy... I have also found that if i rubbed my ear lobe it would help...but I just kept thinking darn this is soo itchy but it means it is healing...so happy to hear that you are doing good...it only gets better!!!! Any questions or concerns you might have...ask away. We are here for you....

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
peofe (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
(male)

peofe HB User

Thanks Cindy for your help, as well. I have been reading your old posts and appreciate suggestions and support.

Today I am a bit unsteady with a little dizziness, but no nausea, so I guess that's a good thing.

Funny about you wearing a cotton ball so you don't poke your ear canal. I have allergies and have hidden my tissues so I don't accidently grab one and blow my nose. It is such a habit for me that having to look for the box gives me enough time to "think" about it before I do it.

Thanks for your support!

Closed Thread