It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

Jacki93 HB UserJacki93 HB User
Stapedectomy reduction in tinnitus

Dear All

Today has been a wonderful day for me. I am now about 10 days post-stapedectomy and my hearing seems to have improved dramatically over the past day or so. There has been a reduction in my tinnitus along with my improvement in hearing.

I have had tinnitus since I was a teenager in my left ear and started to notice hearing loss in the same ear from my early 20s. I am now 38 and my tinnitus has got worse as my hearing in my left ear has got worse. My other ear is at the bottom of the normal range.

The surgeon said not to expect the tinnitus to go away with surgery as I had had it so long. He said, however, it would seem less as I heard more with that ear.

Immediately after the surgery it was still there and, if anything, slightly louder than it was before. Today, however, it is quieter than I can remember it being for a long time and I am really pleased.

I hope it carries on improving, it would be a great relief!

Has anyone else had their tinnitus go away after a stapedectomy?

Clare

Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
(male)

mspgh HB User
Re: Stapedectomy reduction in tinnitus

My tinnitus in the operated ear is pretty much all gone at 30 odd days post op. I started to notice it about 9 months ago, so I didn't have the long term history of it that you did, but the surgery definitely helped.

Whats strange is that now I notice tinnitus in the UNOPERATED ear (I have mild hearing loss from otosclerosis on that side). I didn't have problems with tinnitus on that side prior to surgery so I can only conclude that its because my brain is now noticing how much better my hearing is in the operated ear and its trying to make up for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
stapedectomy, tinnitus