It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

peofe HB User
Experiences with Flying

Me: I had my stapedectomy March 14th and my recovery has gone pretty well. I still have a bit of the numbness on my tongue, and although blowing my nose now, I am still sneezing thru my mouth. I sneeze hard!

I have read several posts in various threads about the first flight post surgery. I am scheduled for vacation in August, and will be taking a 5 hour flight on a commercial plane and i'm nervous.

What is your experience with that first flight? I thought it might be good to have a thread that organizes this topic.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

chrimar HB User
Smile Re: Experiences with Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by peofe View Post
Me: I had my stapedectomy March 14th and my recovery has gone pretty well. I still have a bit of the numbness on my tongue, and although blowing my nose now, I am still sneezing thru my mouth. I sneeze hard!

I have read several posts in various threads about the first flight post surgery. I am scheduled for vacation in August, and will be taking a 5 hour flight on a commercial plane and i'm nervous.

What is your experience with that first flight? I thought it might be good to have a thread that organizes this topic.

Thanks!
Hi Peofe

I recently had my first flight post stapedectomy. I am happy to report that everything went great. I had my surgery in August and flew in May, so I did wait as long as I could. I did take a pseudoephedrine (Sudafed 12 hour, the one you have to get from behind the counter at the pharmacy). I took it one hour before the flight. I brought gum and a water bottle and made sure I was chewing gum and swallowing water during take off and landing. I was swallowing alot the whole time. I also had a bottle of Afrin nasal spray, which I used in the plane right before take off. I didn't use it at all on my return flight. My ears did fine, in fact, I had more trouble with my unoperated ear popping than I did the fixed ear. I flew from Dallas to New York City, almost a four hour flight. I just was conscious of my ears and made sure to keep swallowing and never forced my ears to pop by blowing with my mouth closed or anything like that. I am so happy that everything went well and wanted to let all my stapedectomy friends know about my experience. If you have any questions, please ask.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread