It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

DCAM HB User
Pulsitile Tennitus

My husband and I came back from a long RV road trip, 8,000 miles, last September, 2011 and that was the first time I heard the pulsing noise along with a high pitched ring in my left ear. I thought it was due to the trip and would go away - it has not. I've had and MRI by a ENT that was negative and just had an MRI at UCSF and a carotid artery test - both were fine. UCSF has referred me to their Audiology Dept. I can cope during the day with TV noise, etc. but the nights are terrible with only 4 or 5 hours sleep. My question is, has anyone had positive results with Audiology or any other coping advice?

Last edited by DCAM; 05-01-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

Boozjee HB User
Re: Pulsitile Tennitus

Hi DCAM, I see it's been a while since you posted this question and haven't gotten a response yet. Has there been any improvement since then? My pulsitile tinnitus started one morning when I awoke to a soft humming. I thought it was our refrigerator running at first. Over the years mine became louder and so I began my research into the causes and potential treatments. I've researched so many scholarly articles it would make your head spin.
After a while, that is if it isn't debilitatingly loud, you can learn to cope with different techniques. Mine is to sleep with a table fan on my bedstand with the motor facing me. Even that's not loud enough to drown it out completely but it does help.
At the present time, there is no "cure" but there are clinical trials going on right now which show some promise. One is the rTMS study going on that has shown improvements in tinnitus for some participants. I just finished participating in one of these studies but unfortunately, I didn't respond to the treatments. Look for tinnitus clinical trials going on in or near your area. It's worth a shot and it doesn't cost anything but time and some gas.
And on a positive note, I've read that for most tinnitus sufferers, the ringing actually becomes less bothersome over time. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread