It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

hrherica HB User
Stapedectomy 4/24/12

Hi, I'm a new poster here, but have been reading for a few months. I had a stapedectomy on 4/24 that went well. I felt great almost immediately after surgery, almost no pain at all in the following week. The Monday after my surgery I started having intense pain in the operated ear, a stabbing pain followed up by throbbing. Went to the doc for my one-week post-op visit and he removed the packing and put me on an antibiotic. Now I'm almost three weeks post-op and am having terrible dizziness. It started last night after I rubbed the ear gently. (It itched, what can I say?) Now the dizziness comes and goes and actually gets worse if I yawn. I see the doctor again on Tuesday, but am curious if anyone else has had this experience.

By the way, hearing still hasn't improved, but my ears still feel clogged and I'm hoping that's the reason.

Thanks!
Erica

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy 4/24/12

Erica...

sorry to hear about that....

I had the dizziness myself after my surgery last year in Feb. but it actually was do to my prothesis slipping out of place and leaning on my middle ear he said. I had a revision and there was alot of scar tissue but also an artery that ran thru that area...he went back in and my hearing is great. Just had another stapedectomy in my left ear this year...and I have 100% hearing I am told...extremely happy with my results being before surgery I had under 30% hearing in it.

I did have to wait several months after that surgery last year before he would go back in and fix it. Said things needed to settle down in there..so I had to deal with it for a few months but no big deal..I think that your dizziness is alot worse then mine. I only had it if I layed down and turned to my right...awful zinging and dizziness.. Nothing now
please keep us posted on how you are doing and what your doctor said...

cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

I had a stapedectomy 11 years ago. I started have extreme headaches a couple days after surgery. Not migranes. I was in the doctor's office in tears but they eventually stopped on their own (within a week). I never found anyone that has a similar issue - I eventually came to the conclusion that everyone heals differently. Don't panic and give it time.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Hi, Erica
How did the dr appointment go? I m just over 4 weeks after my stapedectomy and every time I turn to my right ear when I lie down I get vertigo but as soon as I turn my head back to neutral position it settles. I get a bit woozy when I look up still. I guess still takes time to recover and get back to normal.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Hi, Erica
How did the dr appointment go? I m just over 4 weeks after my stapedectomy and every time I turn to my right ear when I lie down I get vertigo but as soon as I turn my head back to neutral position it settles. I get a bit woozy when I look up still. I guess still takes time to recover and get back to normal.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
(female)

hrherica HB User

Hi!

Thanks for all the reassurance! I saw the doctor on Monday. I had noticed over the weekend that my hearing seemed to improve suddenly. The dog's bark was painful, I could hear the exhaust fan in the kitchen crystal clear, etc. Had my hearing tested and it has improved! Yay! I don't know the numbers, but the doctor said it was an improvement and it should continue to improve over the next couple of months.

As for my vertigo, we're waiting and watching. The audiologist read the doctor's orders wrong and did a tympanogram on my operated ear. I nearly fell out of the chair, the vertigo was so bad. It seemed to be worse after that and I could barely walk for the rest of the day. Ugh. Doctor prescribed Cipro, steroids and Phenergan as the Bonine I had been taking wasn't helping. Yesterday I felt well enough to go to work for 4 hours, but I was exhausted when I came home.

The doctor told me to come back in two weeks, so we will wait and see. One thing I question, that I totally forgot to ask the doctor about, is the audiologist wrote on my evaluation that I have a fistula in my eardrum. I Googled it when I got home and it kind of worried me, but from what I've read rest, antibiotics and steroids are really the first line of treatment. I just wish the doctor had informed me, you know?

All in all, I am feeling a bit better and hope to continue to improve. My daughter graduates from high school tomorrow and I won't miss it for anything. If they have to carry me in, I'm going!

Thanks everyone!
Erica

Closed Thread