It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User
4 week post stapedectomy with flu and sore throat

Hi, I had my stapedectomy 4 weeks ago, all the post operative instruction is avoid getting a cold or flu but doesn't tell you what to do it you do. Unfortunately I developed a sore throat probably infection last night but no runny nose yet. Does anyone know whether there is anything I need to be careful about beside not blowing my nose too hard? I m so scare that it will spread to infect my prosthesis, does anyone know whether that can be a problem?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: 4 week post stapedectomy with flu and sore throat

Same thing happen to me...sinus infection 3 weeks after my surgery...I called my doctor and seen him he immediately put me on anti biotics and steriods to make sure that nothing would happen ...I would suggest you call your doctor.
He stressed to me that it was important to not get an ear infection in the operated ear but also all the pressure from the sinus congestion was not good either. I also started out with the cold so at least you can let him know what is happening and he be aware of it..it is so hard to get a cold and not be able to blow your nose...I knew an ear infection was just days away....

Cindy

Last edited by billcindy1; 05-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Hi, Cindy
Thanks, I started on antibiotics, not feeling too bad, still no runny nose yet ( touch wood ). Just have sore throat and husky voice. Hopefully won't last too long.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

You will be feeling back to yourself before you know it...

How is your recovery coming along..how is your hearing

Cindy

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
(male)

tinchito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleboyboy View Post
Hi, Cindy
Thanks, I started on antibiotics, not feeling too bad, still no runny nose yet ( touch wood ). Just have sore throat and husky voice. Hopefully won't last too long.
Hi appleboy : be patient : the antibiotics will resolve all soon !! best regards

martin

Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Thanks Martin and Cindy.
Second day into my antibiotics and feel better, except had to talk a lot at work so started to cough with dry, irritated throat but not sore anymore.
My hearing seems stable, though sometime hearing people talk when they r in next room is a bit muffled (but I would not have heard people talk in the next room before the operation, so I am happy) people seem to have a nasal quality speech, if that make sense. I will see my ENT next week 6 week post op, mayb he will check my hearing

Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
(male)

tinchito HB User

Hi
Im glad youre better on your second day of antibiotics !!
Tomorrow all maybe be gone
Good luck !
Martin

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

Hi, guys
Went for my 6 week post-op check today and had my hearing test, the hearing in my operated ear is now very close to normal ( between 20-30dB in all frequencies), the dr say it should still have 10-15% improvement when the ear drum tightens and the fluid from my middle clears. I m so happy, since the surgery I have been less anxious about going to meetings as I could hear most things being said. It feels good.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
(female)

So happy for you Martin...

I remember going for my post op check up and my goodness talk about on cloud nine..just so happy to hear how much my hearing had improved... I can say that your hearing will continue to improve..I know that mine has. I am now 3 months post op and things are better now then before...I know it has alot to do with our brains adjusting to now hearing...it had been to many years for me not hearing out of that ear.

I still to this day have to put a cotton ball in there for blow drying my hair and also vacuuming the carpet I usually put one in too..just to loud..but it has got better thats for sure... and I know it will continue.

Enjoy your new hearing!!

Cindy

Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
(male)

tinchito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcindy1 View Post
So happy for you Martin...

I remember going for my post op check up and my goodness talk about on cloud nine..just so happy to hear how much my hearing had improved... I can say that your hearing will continue to improve..I know that mine has. I am now 3 months post op and things are better now then before...I know it has alot to do with our brains adjusting to now hearing...it had been to many years for me not hearing out of that ear.

I still to this day have to put a cotton ball in there for blow drying my hair and also vacuuming the carpet I usually put one in too..just to loud..but it has got better thats for sure... and I know it will continue.

Enjoy your new hearing!!

Cindy
Thank you , Cindy

Im glad you improve your hearing month by month !!

Have a nice weekend !

Martin

Closed Thread