It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User
Stapdectomy recovery sharing

Hi,

Has anyone recently has a stapedectomy. I started a thread but thought it might be easier for others if I called it by its name. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. Everything went well but I have been very dizzy. I am gradually improving but I still can't drive. I also have some numbness on my face ( near the ear that was operated on) and a very full head feeling. Sometimes headaches. The good news is that I put my iphone up to my ear and although it sounds like Elmo its pretty clear. anyone else just had this surgery. I have to admit its been a much longer recovery than I had expected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Stapdectomy recovery sharing

Hello Dizzy...

I had my most recent stapedectomy on Feb. 17th of this year...last year I had two..one in Feb. then a revision to that ear in June.

I did have the dizziness with my revision surgery in June but it did get better in a few days. I did have a zinging w/dizziness if I turned my head to the right (operated ear) with last years feb. surgery.

Have you spoken to your doctor at all about this and if so what was his comments as to your dizziness. I know my dr. did say the dizziness could last a couple weeks with the surgery...

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

I m now 7 weeks post-op, still has spinning in certain positions when I lie down. Saw my dr last week and he said it's probably benign positional vertigo which means crystals in the inner ear has come loose with the drilling during the operation. He said if it down settle in another 2 weeks then there's a maneuver he can do to get rid of it.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

independentlady HB User

I had the surgery in February - there were problems with inner ear fluid loss so I had vertigo for about 2 weeks but it started to get better after that time. I haven't had any numbness in my face but I'm still dealing with the right side of my tongue feeling numb and very strange tastes. Have you contacted your ENT about the dizzyness? They might be able to give you something to help it subside.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User

I did contact my ENT and they said the same as Appleboyboy that some crystals were released during the surgery and that they need to settle over time. So I am staying positive, its been just over 2 weeks. I think that there is a position called Epley maneuver that I read about. I'd be interested to hear how you get along in the next few weeks Appleboyboy, as I am just behind you. The hearing sounds like a tunnel, tin sound, but it does sound pretty good. I've been getting some headaches but I think that is all the pollen around at the moment. Do any of you feel fuzzy in your head. I guess that is probably still the fluid in the ear or packing. Thanks for all your good advice. Staying positive.. and patient.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User

Hi Independentlady, So glad to also hear of someone who had it the surgery a while ago and that you feel good. Sorry about the taste, I have a little of that as well. Did the vertigo go slowly or you just woke one day and it was gone. Were you able to drive after the 2 weeks. It sounds like you had a similar experience. How is your hearing now?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

hi, dizzy 100,
Will definitely let you know how I go. I was off work for the first 2 weeks after my operation then I returned to work and for the first 2 weeks I had headaches at the end of the day which was probably because of all the rushing around and also i did feel fuzzy or as someone else in the forum described I felt like my head was trying to catch up with my body when I walk quickly. But the good thing is the headache and fuzzy feelin have all settled down. Just the positional vertigo. And hearing seems to be getting better gradually too, still occasional muffled speech but dr say it will improve when the eardrum tightens. Yeah!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
(female)

independentlady HB User

Hi Dizzy100 - The vertigo seemed to go very slowly - I could walk around pretty well after the first couple weeks but if I turned my head quickly or tried to turn around quickly I felt like I was going to fall. I actually did start driving just back and forth to work after the second week as it isn't all the far otherwise my son drove me everywhere else. I think it was about a month when I woke up and thought I was back to normal

As far as my hearing it didn't turn out as well - I still need to wear my hearing aid but at least I can understand people better instead of just louder There were issues during my surgery however that caused this so hopefully yours will do well!

I'm getting ready to schedule for my left ear probably in the fall.

Good Luck

Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User

Thank you for all of your replies and positive comments. I am just entering my 4th week post surgery. Some days are better than others with the dizzy spells. At the weekend I was feeling pretty good and walked with my kids about a mile. The next day I wasn't so great. Maybe there is a lesson in not pushing myself. Like Appleboyboy I have the vertigo feeling when I lay down. It seems pretty bad in the mornings, I have to walk very slowly but gets better as the day progresses. I have read so many other posts that some people day the dizzy spells go away in a few weeks, but others it can take months. I really hope mine settles down soon. Did anyone try the Epley technique?

The following user gives a hug of support to Dizzy100:
tinchito (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
(male)

mspgh HB User

I just topped my thread which details my recovery experience... I am going on 4 months post-op and doing very well. My hearing in the operated ear has vastly improved which I began to notice pretty early in my recovery.

As for dizziness, that also settled pretty quickly in my case. I want to say that by the 2nd or 3rd week it wasn't really all that noticeable. The really bad vertigo had stopped after week 1. Some very mild dizziness persisted for awhile and just tapered off very slowly until it was gone.

Be patient, be patient, be patient! can't stress that enough.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
(male)

tinchito HB User

Hi Dizzy100
I had my left ear done from last may 3rd.
The dizziness , in my personal case, was disappearing slowly from the 2 or 3 week. Now Im OK and began to hear much much better.
Be patient and good luck !
Martin

Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User

Hi all,
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I did go back to the ENT who diagnosed the benign positional vertigo. He did a procedure in the office called the Epley and I am doing some other procedures at home. It is getting slowly better, but of course its not a quick fix.

He also took out some old packing and wow - the world was screaming at me. A car beep made me jump sky high as I left the hospital....and in the coffee shop the coffee grinder was soooo loud. I still have a kind of heavy feeling around the ear - and of course the nausea and imbalance, but it does get better as the day goes forward. I'd love to go back to the gym, but I wonder when that might be. When did everyone get the all clear to exercise or swim?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
(female)

Dizzy100 HB User

Hi all,
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I did go back to the ENT who diagnosed the benign positional vertigo. He did a procedure in the office called the Epley and I am doing some other procedures at home. It is getting slowly better, but of course its not a quick fix.

He also took out some old packing and wow - the world was screaming at me. A car beep made me jump sky high as I left the hospital....and in the coffee shop the coffee grinder was soooo loud. I still have a kind of heavy feeling around the ear - and of course the nausea and imbalance, but it does get better as the day goes forward. I'd love to go back to the gym, but I wonder when that might be. When did everyone get the all clear to exercise or swim?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #14
(male)

tinchito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy100 View Post
Hi all,

Hi Dizzy100
Im glad you feel better !
My doctor recommends to start exercise at week 5 or 6.
Best regards,
Martin

Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
(male)

mspgh HB User

I got the all clear to resume normal physical activity at around week 4 or 5. I started jogging and light exercise as soon the Dr said it was OK, but I took it slowly at first. you dont to do anything too strenuous the first few weeks as it can cause blood to rush to your ears and damage the eardrum, dislodge the prosthesis, etc... be patient.

Closed Thread