It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

tinnitim HB User
stapedectomyandtinnitus

I had a stapedectomy 10 yeas ago to alleviate 60% hearing loss in my left ear. Surgery went great and hearing loss was cured. I was a cheerleader for my doctor and his abilities. Five years later otosclerosis had impacted my right ear and we decided to have the other ear stapedectomy as well. Immediateley after the surgery I had the unbelievably loud noise in my ear. I had tinnitus before the surgery and hoped this would help. The tinnitus I had pre-surgery was like a mosquito buzz only. The post surgery noise is like a leaf blower on my back blowing a constant high c note. My doctor explained my ear was under trauma and we would have to wait 6 months to correct the problem. I waited, I had the resurgery on the right ear and the problem was still present. Seven years later and the noise is the same. I have tried anti-depressants one after the other, not to fix the tinnitus but to alleviate the symptoms of anxiety and depression at an unbelievable level. I did see my surgeon about filing for ssi as my disability has now taken over my life. I cannot sleep through the night, so i cant stay awake during the day. I currently am taking ambien to sleep, and adavan for anxiety and fluxotine for depression. None of these help the tinnitus but I think they may make it worse actually.I am lost, I pace like a caged animal and do not know what to do. I am working very little at this point but have not been approved for ssi disability. Please dont think I am after a free ride but rather do not know how to live my life with this constant torture. I am not suicidal but do understand how someone could be in this predicament. Any help or suggestions? Thanks for reading, it does help to think I am not the only one in this hell.

Last edited by tinnitim; 07-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread