It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

smih HB User
Hearing Aids - ITE or RIC or BTE

Dear All,

Greetings!
I have bi-lateral hearing loss, below are details:

Left Ear: Air conduction - 67db and Bone conduction - 27db. Type of loss is moderately severe mixed hearing loss.
(250hz-65db, 500hz-65db, 1000hz-60db, 1500hz-75db, 2000hz-75db, 3000hz-60db, 4000hz-60db, 8000hz-70db)
Right Ear: Air conduction - 112db and Bone conduction - 63db. Type of loss is profound mixed hearing loss.

Presently I am wearing Phonak's Nadia 5 UP BTE in right ear and Versata CIC in left ear. Now CIC is no more supporting my losses and I need to go for one more HA.
My audiologist is suggesting me that go for StarKey but I am not sure whether it is a good idea to wear 2 different brand's HA both the ears. I think it become more difficult to understand the speech since 2 different technologies are giving input to my brain.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I am not sure whether I should go for a ITC/ITE (cannot go with CIC since I need more power) or I should go for BTE/RIC. My concern is performance and I am not greatly bothered about looks.
If I go for a BTE/RIC then would it be a difference between their performance or both of them perform same.

Also, if somebody has knowledge of Phonak's Versata and StarKey's S7 IQ series then please suggest that which one would be preferable.

My main concern is type of HA (ITE, RIC or BTE) considering my losses.

Warm Regards,
SMIH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Hearing Aids - ITE or RIC or BTE

I've only had my hearing aids for a year. I can't speak for the pros and cons of all of them, just what I've tried.

I have extremely severe hearing loss (no speech, just some very loud sounds) from birth in my right ear and my left ear went from normal to borderline mind/moderate loss during the year prior to getting the hearing aids. I chose the Siemens Pure Carat BTE RIC kind. What I love about them is that they "talk" to each other allowing the sounds on my weaker side to be heard on my better side. I'm also able to control the programming and volumn of both by a button on a single aid. I'm also able to utilize bluetooth for my phone, computer or TV as needed which I found great.

I'd imagine you would have much more difficulty controlling your aids in these ways if you have 2 different brands.

My Audiologist took my hearing chart and compared it to many different brands and types of hearing aids on the market when she discussed my options. It was great to help me understand the pros and cons of my choice. If you haven't seen something like that, you might want to ask about it. The technology in these hearing aids now is incredible. I went 40 years with no hearing aid on my worst ear because all of the prior hearing aids I tried just didn't help me understand speech at all. I can now hear 30% speech in my right ear and almost normally in my left with the assistance of the hearing aids.

I'm not sure I'm much help, but I wish you well with your decision. I'd love to hear how things turn out for you.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
(male)

smih HB User

Dear MountainReader,

Thanks for your reply. I will surely update you once I have reached a decision.
Also, could you please provide me your opinion on whether CIC/ITC are better option or BTE/RIC. My main concern is performance (should be able to support me in several environments) and longevity of the aid. This would be 6th time that I would be purchasing a HA (till now lost around 2.3 lakhs ****** rupees / 4113 US dollars) and each time I have to go for a loan which is quiet frustrating.
If your answer is BTE then would it make any difference (in terms of performance and longevity) if I go a RIC or BTE.
In brands I am leaning more towards Phonak than StarKey as later is more expensive and difficult for me to afford at this point of time.

Please provide your opinion.

Warm Regards,
SMIH.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I think it really depends on your specific hearing loss and what you need out of a hearing aid. I've never actually tried a CIC so I can't share anything form experience.

The BTE's are so small now that it really doesn't bother me having to wear them. I do know I like the RIC.

Will your audiologist let you do a trial with the hearing aids? I was able to try mine out for a week before purchase.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Behind or in the ear are personal preference. My husband has worn 2 hearing aids for many years. He tried behind the ear, but did not like the wind noise. There are many good brands. He has had several. The best was Oticon. Widex and Resound are also excellent. The most important thing is that they are digital. His current set have bluetooth that sync with the cell phone and tv, and he loves them.

Reply Reply