It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

tinaann HB User
Stapedectomy recovery help

Hi i'm new to this...but i thought i would try it out....

I was diagnosed with Otosclerosis in January 2012....i had a stapedectomy surgery done on my right ear on Aug 28th 2012 and it was awful for a few days. I had major dizziness after surgery i even vomited once. I think i had vertigo...i wasnt even able to lay on my back. But after a few days i was back to feeling normal again. (meaning the dizziness went away). a week later i went back to see the ENT doctor and he took out the packaging...thats today Sept 5th. But i am not happy with the results I thought i would be 100% recovered and i would hear normal again. He did some kind of test to prove that the surgery was successful. He prescribed ear drops for me that i have to take twice a day for a week and then i have to go see †the ENT again in 2 weeks. He said theres still fluid in my ear and it hasnt healed 100% but it will take some time. Is this normal? How long does it really take? i guess i just have to be patient. I honestly still cant hear anything on my right ear now. I feel like its clogged or something..and theres weird sounds that come and go. But maybe after i take the drops it will go away?†also here and there my ear pops. Someone help!!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy recovery help

Hi Tinnann...

I have had stapendectomies done in both my ears and I have to say that ea. surgery was different. I had the bionic hearing with one of them and could hear great when the packing was taken out and on my last my hearing was sort of like donald duck for a couple of weeks...but I can say it did get better. I also felt like everything was coming in from a tunnel in that ear too...but it did clear up and was better just like my doctor had said...I had the same..fluid and blood that needed to dissolve.

Good luck

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hi Tinnann...

I have had stapendectomies done in both my ears and I have to say that ea. surgery was different. I had the bionic hearing with one of them and could hear great when the packing was taken out and on my last my hearing was sort of like donald duck for a couple of weeks...but I can say it did get better. I also felt like everything was coming in from a tunnel in that ear too...but it did clear up and was better just like my doctor had said...I had the same..fluid and blood that needed to dissolve.

Good luck

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
tinaann (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
(female)

Appleboyboy HB User

I agree with Cindy, it's too soon, there is popping sound initially which means there's fluid in the ear still from surgery, that will eventually go away, I think mine took 4 weeks plus the eardrum needs to tighten itself too after surgery to further improve the hearing. I had my surgery in April and hearing had improved.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

tinaann HB User

Is it ok to use a qtip to clean out the blood in the ear? I get this urge to use it lol

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

tinaann HB User

Thank you for writing back!!! So I guess I have to be patient also is it ok to use a q tip to clean out the blood? Could I rinse it in water and clean it out too?? I have this urge to use a qtip. Also How long did it take for you when the blood and fluid dissolved? A month?

Last edited by tinaann; 09-06-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

NO NO NO!!!!!!.. don t put anything in your ear canal. I know it is driving you crazy..I have so been there..but don t put anything inside your ear... you could cause so much damage. You are still at the no water in the ear stage correct? so i would just say if you can clean the outer part of the ear with a cotton ball then go with that but don t put anything inside...I can remember my ear itching so bad it would drive me absolutely nuts in the evening..but it will work its way out and in two weeks your Dr can vacuum it out for you if it is still bothering you. I know my Dr. did this.

Cindy

Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

tinaann HB User

I'm not sure. The doctor already took out the packaging. He suctioned out the ear. I take showers normally now. It's my second day since the doctor removed the packaging and still no change. I can't hear anything on the right ear. I'm so sad. I finally go back to work today. I just use drops twice a day but I haven't seen any improvement yet. My mouth also feels numb on the right. Everything I eat tastes a little off. Is this all normal in recovering process?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
(female)

I was not able to get my ear wet for 5 weeks. When I went back for my hearing test and following up 5 weeks then he said I could get water in it..but I do know that others on this board were allowed to do it so each Dr. is different. If you put a cotton ball into the ear that had surgery can you hear your finger rubbing on it..I think that by 3or4 weeks my hearing seemed to be alot better if I recall correctly... The weird taste lasted quite some time but I can remember everything tasting almost to salty..but I do know that the first two weeks it was terrible and nothing tasted right..

Cindy

p.s. I still don t put anything in my ear. My Dr. has always been one to say the only thing you are allowed to put into your ear is your elbow. He said that q tips in your ear just isn t a good thing so this is something that I have always followed.

Reply Reply