It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

Pbober HB User
Congenital Hearing Loss due to missing stapes

Hello all,

I was born without my stapes bone which caused about a 90% hearing loss in my left ear. I've had a few exploratory surgies with the result being that there is nothing they can do due to the fact that my facial nerve is misplaced and is laying across where my stapes bone should be.

My question is this: Would any type of hearing aid work? Also, are there any other options for me?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: Congenital Hearing Loss due to missing stapes

My granddaugter has a cochlear implant. You should talk with your ENT about it and see if it would help you. In her case, she has auditory neuropathy. The implant can bypass the area that isn't working and give her access to sound. It is surgery, it has to be determined that you need it. The surgery will leave an incision that will take a few weeks to heal then you get activated. In her case, she is making new strides everyday towards talking. She just turned 3 and due to moving to another state, got the whole process set back. She would have been close a year with the device instead of just since April. The great news with her is if you call her name, she turns around. This was never the case and still isn't the case when she doesn't have her processor on. Also, they do something that is more radical called a brainstem surgery. Not sure what it is, doubt that you'd need it. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply