It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

Js1123 HB User
Stapedectomy problems

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure and found they didn't have a stapes bone? I am one month post op and hear worse now. The Doc. says he may have to go in and reposition while I'm awake to fine tune. Has anyone had this done? And if so was it successful? I can still hear but it feels like I have my hand covering my ear. I'm wondering if a hearing aid is a better bet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Js1123; 11-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

Leprdprint HB User
Re: Stapedectomy problems

I too, am 1 month post op & am feeling discouraged And frustrated. My ear feels full and plugged for the most part & I feel somewhat "foggy". It seemed to be opening up one day this past week and then suddenly it felt plugged again. My hearing test on my 3week post op showed my hearing of the low frequencies had improved but no improvement on the high frequencies. Tinnitus in that ear is louder than before. When I hear running water or other various noises, it feels like a crackle in my ear. Are you experiencing any of these same things?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
(male)

eat chickfila HB User
Unhappy Re: Stapedectomy problems

I am new to this board. I had a Stapedectomy in my left ear 5 weeks ago today. I am very discouraged with my results so far. The hearing overall seems to be a little worse than before the operation. It isn't consistent. sometimes worse than others. Sometimes it sounds like a broken stereo speaker (the best way i can describe it). I hear background noise very loudly, but voices, etc are very muffled sounding. In addition to that, I am still dizzy, especially when driving, and if I burp, hiccup, blow my nose hard, or yawn, i get a jar in my ear like someone has hit me in the side of my head. The Dr. says that this is probably due to the piece that was put in being a little bit too long. He told me that he's been doing these procedures for over 30 years and that this has only happened 3 times previously. I will be the 4th. (Lucky me). I will have to go back in to redo what has been done, risking additional hearing loss. I hate the thought of going through this again, but I can't go the rest of my life like this. If anyone else has had a similar experience and can offer advice, I really would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
(male)

Rleifels HB User

I have similar experience but afraid I can't help. I also hear like a speaker that is too loud. Sound is crackly. My doctor insists he has never had this happen before. I'm sorry I have no advice. I have posted similar to you to find some help. You are not alone

Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

[
I am not quite a week past getting the packing out, but this is exactly what I am experiencing. Its like my ear is clogged. The tinnitus is louder than it was pre surgery and my hearing is definitely worse. I would say maybe 70% of what is was pre surgery. I have read many people experience this but within a few weeks have a significant improvement. I am hoping that is the case because if this is the result, this sucks! When the packing was removed, the surgeon said everything looked great and my ear was healing well. But almost a week later and I have noticed no improvement.

I hope I have not made a huge mistake by having this procedure done. Only time will tell but so far I am quite discouraged.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
(male)

Rleifels HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat chickfila View Post
I am new to this board. I had a Stapedectomy in my left ear 5 weeks ago today. I am very discouraged with my results so far. The hearing overall seems to be a little worse than before the operation. It isn't consistent. sometimes worse than others. Sometimes it sounds like a broken stereo speaker (the best way i can describe it). I hear background noise very loudly, but voices, etc are very muffled sounding. In addition to that, I am still dizzy, especially when driving, and if I burp, hiccup, blow my nose hard, or yawn, i get a jar in my ear like someone has hit me in the side of my head. The Dr. says that this is probably due to the piece that was put in being a little bit too long. He told me that he's been doing these procedures for over 30 years and that this has only happened 3 times previously. I will be the 4th. (Lucky me). I will have to go back in to redo what has been done, risking additional hearing loss. I hate the thought of going through this again, but I can't go the rest of my life like this. If anyone else has had a similar experience and can offer advice, I really would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
(male)

Rleifels HB User

I've had two stapedectomys. one on each ear. With the second i've had problems with distortion, crackling etc for two years. I'm still trying to find a doctor who can figure out what is wrong. in your case I'd say that 5 weeks is still a pretty short period of time. Unless he removed the packing from the outside ear already chances are there is still some there and chances are there is still packing inside your ear. So i would not be worried that your hearing is not better yet. Give it some time.
As far as not hearing clearly I would also give it some time.
My first one went perfect but it does take time for everything to settle down.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
(female)

Js1123 HB User

Hi,

I had the surgery in October 2012. The first time it didn't work at all. I waited about 8 weeks and had it redone. The second time worked. That was done the end of November, 2012. I still feel dizzy occasionally. I can hear normal, however, there are days when it sounds like a broken speaker or sounds are being bounced off something. Overall, I am very happy with my hearing. Maybe you should try a second surgery to see if you can get better results.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I also had to have my ear redone but we waited about four months due to work issues and getting the time off. I had to same problem with my hearing and also that feeling in my head when I turned to the right. Dr. said it was due to it being to long. Once he went back in and fixed it with another...My hearing was back and the feeling of dizziness was gone along with that awful zinging in the head. I wasn t to sure about having it done again..I knew that there were risks with my losing my hearing but figured it was a chance I wanted to take. I am so happy that I did and even went back last year and had my other ear done which had hardly no hearing in it either. I now am the proud owner of two working ears!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
(female)

Biker Mama HB User

I am 1 day short of 1-week post-op and am experiencing terribly vertigo / dizziness. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow and not looking forward to it. I work in a loud machine shop and haven't even driven yet. Hope this dizziness subsides.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
(female)

Leprdprint HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
[
I am not quite a week past getting the packing out, but this is exactly what I am experiencing. Its like my ear is clogged. The tinnitus is louder than it was pre surgery and my hearing is definitely worse. I would say maybe 70% of what is was pre surgery. I have read many people experience this but within a few weeks have a significant improvement. I am hoping that is the case because if this is the result, this sucks! When the packing was removed, the surgeon said everything looked great and my ear was healing well. But almost a week later and I have noticed no improvement.

I hope I have not made a huge mistake by having this procedure done. Only time will tell but so far I am quite discouraged.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
(female)

Leprdprint HB User

I am now 4 months post op & I remember having doubts as to whether I should've just settled for a hearing aid. It has really only been within the last 6 weeks that I can honestly say I have noticed a significant improvement in my hearing. For the few few weeks, I spent hours each day pouring over all the posts on these boards & wondered why my results didn't measure up to what others experienced. I still have tinnitus in my ear but it isn't as bad as it was the first couple months following surgery. I still experience some occasional crackling but it doesn't bother me as much as it used too. I am thankful that I now can lie in bed at night and hear the sounds around me instead of hearing something like white noise. Keep in touch with your dr and just give it time.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

Well, I guess it is an evolving situation. My ear still feels "clogged" but the quality of sound has improved, if still not to the pre surgery levels. Voices no longer sound like cartoon characters and I dont hear as much distortion in the sound. There is still a lot of tinnitus. There is something moving inside my ear that I can hear and feel only when I bend my head down that sorta clogs up my ear, bring my head back upright and its back to what is currently normal. That has only started within the last few days and seems strange. A few more weeks and I go back for my followup appointment and hearing test. I just keep thinking how confident my surgeon was in the way everything looked after he took the packing out, so hopefully his confidence was well placed.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

I am about six weeks post op and my hearing test today confirmed what I already knew, my hearing is the same (even though it seems worse to me). The surgeon had no explanation, said he was able to do what he needed to do during the operation and I should have a hearing improvement. Options, going and have the other ear done, hearing aids, live with it. I am hoping, praying I will have similar results and it was gradually improve with time.

Reply Reply