It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

JPMom HB User
Humming in ear stops when I talk

Strange thing - I have this continuous low humming in my ear that comes and goes. Right now it's on. When I speak, I don't hear it. When I stop speaking, I hear it again.

Anyone else have this or know what it could possibly be?

Thanks!
JP's Mom

Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
(male)

treborg HB User
Re: Humming in ear stops when I talk

HI JPMom, I have same low pitch humming in my right ear. (tinnitus) It is mostly always on and strong, but some days if I tilt my head a bit in one way it goes away, momentarily. It also happens if I open my jaw and pull my tongue back to a precise point or again, or if i shake my head left to right. Today it is not doing so, it is on constantly. I've suffered from sudden idiopathic hearing loss 9 months ago in the low frequency (0-500hz) and was told that is why my tinnitus is a hum type in low range. I also have fullness feel and distortion/echo of sound. Hope your condition has improved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

jenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB Userjenni9033 HB User
Re: Humming in ear stops when I talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMom View Post
Strange thing - I have this continuous low humming in my ear that comes and goes. Right now it's on. When I speak, I don't hear it. When I stop speaking, I hear it again.

Anyone else have this or know what it could possibly be?

Thanks!
JP's Mom
Odd, my tinnitus that began out of nowhere in 2010 works exactly the same way. I think it has to do with muscle spasm of the middle ear (stapedial or tensor tympani myoclonus). These muscles are actually reacting to sound input by vibrating at a high frequency or tensing (my theory, at least, based in part on research of clinical papers).

I don't have the Hum all the time, but when I do, the sound fills in the gaps between noise, especially human voices. Even dialogue on the television will suppress it momentarily, but as soon as the actors are quiet, the hum kicks right back in.

Can you plug the ear firmly with a finger and achieve momentary relief?

I don't have any long-term solutions...I know that caffeine, barometric pressure changes, and too much sodium seem to aggravate mine, because sometimes the ear has the hum and other times, it doesn't, and I've tied these factors into times when it's been at its worst.

Reply Reply