It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

livgab HB User
straining after stapedectomy

in the recovery room i had little pain. Then they had me pee in a bedpan. i strained as it was uncomfortable for me and i ended up with severe pain for several hours. day 2 i still have not heard noises like people say they do post op. and i am dizzy with mild pain. i am very nervous that i ruined the surgery by straining. any advice would be very welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: straining after stapedectomy

Hello livgab...

I never had the hearing after the surgery like others say they did either. I do know that my ear felt plugged up because of the swelling and blood that was there.. I remember at about day 4 or 5 I was starting to hear alittle something and this was with my first ear and my second nothing until the packing was taken out. So everyone is different and actually each ear was different for me. I also had the mild pain and the awful dizziness and that latest for about 3 or so days for me if I recall correctly. Don t worry to much...I am sure that the nurses wouldn t have allowed you strain to much to use the bedpan. I do understand how you are feeling though..I was the same. Didn t want to move my head to much for the fear of ruining something.

I know that it is hard...but try to relax and sit back this week...this week is the big week my doctor said for recovering and making sure to not over do it. Things need to settle down in there..

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

Leprdprint HB User

Cindy.....did you have problems with feeling a fullness or like someone was pulling on your ear after either of your surgeries? I am 6 weeks post op and my ear still feels plugged and my hearing is muffled. Went back 3 weeks after surgery to see dr and have hearing tested. Showed some slight improvement on low frequencies but no improvement on High frequencies. Dr said not to worry, that I am still healing...but this "fullness" sensation has never gone away since the surgery. I'm getting discouraged! Any advice?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I did have that fullness feeling after my second stapedectomy. I have actually had four all together now. 1st in 1993,,2nd in 2011, 3rd 2011 and my other ear this year. My incus eroded from my first causing my piston to dislodge and the second didn t work due to scar tissue but the 3rd did on the same ear.. 2011 was my other ear and it worked also.

Back to the fullness feeling. Do you mean like a feeling that something is in there? I know I did have that after my second surgery but I also remember having a full feeling due to the blood and swelling. I went for my audio 6wks post and that is where they could see the improvement. I do know that I have heard of others that took alittle bit longer to heal..My doctor said that it can take up to 6 months..

Reply Reply