It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
(female)

alexa12307 HB User
Smile Day 1 Post-OP stapedectomy

Hi everyone i had my surgery yesterday at Shands in Gainesville !!! i have read all of your posts for the last couple of weeks prior to my surgery and want to say thankyou for taking the time to post they helped alot... i have had otosclerosis for over 9 years the doctor believes it was caused during my first Pregnancy which makes sense bc that is when all aymptoms occurred the first ENT put tubes in thinking that was going to be the cure..well he was wrong a couple years later went to a different doctor and he diagnosed me with otosclerosis but since i didn't have insurance i could not have the surgery ...fast forward 9 years and i am 1 day pre-op

i was struggling t make the decision to be under local or general anestisia but chose general bc i was so nervous i would not be able to not move and mess things up! i woke up in the recovery room very groggy and sweating like crazy....my throat hurt and my ear was tender but no where near what my throat felt like. I did not wake up dizzy or nauseated and that after loosing hearing completely was my biggest concern, i can tell that i still do have hearing in that ear!!!!! Praise the Lord!

it was same day surgery so i was discharged a couple hours later and travelled 4 hours to get home.. i slept in a recliner last night and woke up feeling fine , i have changed the cotton balls a couple time and they have had blood on them , i am trying not to bend or lift but i have to remind myself constantly

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by alexa12307; 12-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
(female)

alexa12307 HB User
Re: Day 1 Post-OP stapedectomy

Day 2 pre-op

today i feel very weak and groggy, i have alot of pressure in my ear and every muscle in my body hurts! did anyone else have the muscle pain? i hope this gets better all i wanna do is lay here and sleep! i`ll be back tomorrow for an update

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

alexa12307 HB User
Unhappy Re: Day 1 Post-OP stapedectomy

Day 2 pre-op

today i feel very weak and groggy, i have alot of pressure in my ear and every muscle in my body hurts! did anyone else have the muscle pain? i hope this gets better all i wanna do is lay here and sleep! i`ll be back tomorrow for an update

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
(female)

alexa12307 HB User

Day 3 POST-OP

Hello everyone,

It is now day 3 of recovery, and i am so ready to feel semi normal again!!! i feel really weak!

the pain in my ear is still there sometimes worse than others but it is bearable.

i still feel like i have novacane on my tongue. I feel alot of pressure in my ear. and hear my heart beat breathing etc.

I never received any oral antibiotics ?! which is weird ...all i got was pain meds and drops for my ear! at times i feel a little dizzy but nothing i can't handle.

does anybody know when i can drive again???? is there anybody out there?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

Thanks for posting. I am only 2 days post surgery. I did not have any dizzyness or nausea following surgery. I dont feel weak, but I have been taking it easy and sleeping / napping excessively to aid in recovery. I can hardly hear anything outside of my right ear, but like you, everything inside is super amplified. I can hear my pulse, breathing, and have much louder tinnitus than I had before. I also have other noises when I chew and occasional popping. Sometimes my ear itches and I want to stick my finger in it! I dont think my hearing was all that bad prior to surgery so hopefully I wont have the dramatic effect of the removal of the packing you experienced. I better not as I need to work that day!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Alexa12307,
What were your first symptoms of this and what caused it? It sounds like what I have so I'm wanting to get as much info as I can. How is your hearing today? Can you tell me about the tubes and why you needed them? Were you feeling pressure or did you have fluid issues as well? I will appreciate any info that you can give about this. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Alexa12307,
What were your first symptoms of this and what caused it? It sounds like what I have so I'm wanting to get as much info as I can. How is your hearing today? Can you tell me about the tubes and why you needed them? Were you feeling pressure or did you have fluid issues as well? I will appreciate any info that you can give about this. Thank you.

Reply Reply