It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
(female)

Figuras HB User
Day 1 without packing

This has been a really overwhelming day. I had a stapedectomy on my left ear last week and the packing was removed today. Like many others, the experience was unprecedented. I have been experiencing an avalanche of sound all day. Every single noise has proven to be overwhelming, and I'm just hoping this subsides over time. My doc didn't really discuss any of the post-op effects with me prior to surgery, but I did inform myself a bit, so I knew this might be possible. I just had no idea how debilitating it could be.
Has anyone had this sensory overload? If so, how long did it last? I've also lost the sense of taste on the left side of my tongue And I'm getting a bit of ringing in my ears...overall, it's exciting to hear out of my left ear again.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: Day 1 without packing

Figuras...

I also had the same that you are experiencing. But when the packing came out everything was being heard in a donald duck tone to me..but loud and it would hurt. The donald duck tone went away in less then a week had to do with the blood and swelling in there my Dr. said. I found that placing a cotton ball in that ear did help me. I was not able to blow dry my hair without it in and even just hearing the water filling the tub was to much so the cotton ball was there. I also work with children each day so I really didn t have a choice but put that cotton ball in. It did get better...things evened out as my Dr. said. but if I recall correctly it took a month or two before I could even think about not using the cotton ball..

I know exactly what you are experiencing and it did get better for me and it will for you too.. Remember everything is new to this ear now...hearing is something that your ear will have to adjust too. I also found that sometimes alot of different noises coming in was to much..your brain also has to adjust to this new hearing. I always compared it to new babies ears.
hope this helps..
.I have had both of my ears done..I also find that if I get a cold my hearing will become very sensitive so to say... has to do with the fluid in there my Dr. said from the cold.. I usually will take a sudafed and it will help me out

Cindy

Last edited by billcindy1; 12-18-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
(female)

alexa12307 HB User

billcindy ... i just had my left ear done dec 15 when will i stop feeling the pain and fullness?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

alexa12307...

I know that my ear was uncomfortable for several days. I know I used my pain med for several days.. Things started to get better for me in about a week or so. You have alot of swelling and blood in there so it does take time

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

alexa12307 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcindy1 View Post
alexa12307...

I know that my ear was uncomfortable for several days. I know I used my pain med for several days.. Things started to get better for me in about a week or so. You have alot of swelling and blood in there so it does take time
okay good bc i was starting to get worried, this is the end of my fourth day pre-op and I am in more pain today than i think i was day 2 or 3...thank you for responding

Reply Reply