It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
(male)

alekko HB User
Misdiagnosed with otosclerosis( stapedectomized :)

Hi,

I'm in my mid 20s and about three years ago realized that my hearing wasn't so good. Since then i have done about 5 hearing tests and had a hearing aid for about a year until my stapedectomy two days ago. They didn't do scanning.

I had to skip school the whole of 2012 because of my hearing problem. It was devastating to sit in a class where everyday was like a new one because i couldn't build a relationship with my class for two years...my social life was a mess for the last 3 years...Something that i tried to get used to but i couldn't.

Finally, after meeting my surgeon for the third time, i decided to go for the surgery and after few weeks i was lying on the operating table with a new surgeon operating and the old one watching...I asked about this new surgeon and everyone told me he(the new one) was really good and i didn't worry so much because the old(the best in town) one will be by his side...

I was half a sleep and i heard the doc saying he didn't need the prosthesis...and all over sudden everything was quite loud and i could hear much more clearer than pre op.

The operation went well, no pain, dizziness or any other serious side effects apart from irritating sounds and loss of voice...he passed by and told me about the operation, He told me that the stape bone started vibrating as soon as he touched it with his instrument (at this point i remember he asked me if i was hearing better and i answered yes). They realized the bones were fine and it must have been something else that stopped vibration of the bones, they didn't know what. they stitched together where was cut and filled the ear canal with something and covered the ear. I'll be back in about 5 days for unpacking and checkup...I just hope that the haven't damaged anything.

They told me that they still don't know what stopped the stapes from functioning before the op...

Has anybody experienced this problem? what do you think is the cause?

Thanks.

Last edited by alekko; 01-10-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
(male)

alekko HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed with otosclerosis( stapedectomized :)

Just a day before the op a gp told me the surgeon who diagnosed me was their most experienced.....and the funny thing is that i always thought that the tests were not enough to consider a surgery. About 7 months back i asked this same surgeon if he was sure that i had otosclerosis and he said had no doubt about it except the fact that no one had hearing problem in my family....and there i went and trusted...

To those who are planing to go for a stapedectomy,please make sure you do all the necessary tests to rule out any other cause of the hearing problem.

Last edited by alekko; 01-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Reply Reply